Your pagan story

Julia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just curious to know how many of you write with pagan themes or elements in mind. I understand that in many fantasy novels, pagan themes are common. As a matter of fact, the first "adult book" I read was "Mists of Avalon" and it connected me to that pagan fibre I felt at age 12. Are there some of you writing in other genres or mainstream where pagan themes are used?

What sustains writing with pagan spiritual elements? For my story that involves a strong theme of connection to nature, herbalism and strong women mentors I was inspired very much by Stephen H. Buhner and Derrick Jensen as well as childhood memories. Still don't know how my book would fare in a mainstream publishing environment. What about you?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Julia, and welcome to the pagan forum! Sorry there hasn't been a reply sooner. I'm a bad, bad mod. :(

Most of us here have really varied interests in regard to pagan writing. Pagan fiction seems to be a rough road to go in regard to getting published, but that was the way it was a while back. I don't know if things are changing now or not. I write mostly non-fiction. I know that Llewellyn is a happy home for a lot of pagan non-fic writers, and I have heard that they are opening up more for fiction writers too. It wouldn't be a bad place to start, especially considering they are a pretty big pagan house. I'm not really familiar with other pagan publishing houses, but hopefully someone like Patti will chime in here and add what she knows. She writes a lot, and has a lot more publishing credits under her belt than I do.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Well, I'm a horror writer ;) I actually don't utilize much from my pagan life in my writing -- oft times I find that the horror genre ends up with stereotypes of all things pagan.

In my novel, however, I do have a main character who is a witch and actually addresses the stereotypes in a humorous way. During one scene where she's confronted by a very fundamentalist person who is commenting on all the "bad stuff" going on while he glares at the pentacle pendant she's wearing, she laughs and says "don't look at me...I'm one of the good guys!"

My life being a witch is all encompassing in every other facet, though. Surprisingly not in my writing!!!! Ha!

Poetic_Justice

Pondering affirmation
Registered
Reaction score
Funny enough, I rarely ever write anything "Pagan." For some reason most of my narrators are Catholics, and when I do write about Paganism it's usually an opinion piece or personal experiance piece. Although, sometimes I surprise myself and write a little poetry, but not too often. It's interesting to find that my narrators foil my spiritual beliefs (except a story I wrote about a hindu woman.)

I have, however, been mulling around short story thoughts (or novel concepts) for something "Pagan". Though I'm not sure where I'd send it either. Maybe you can slip it into fantasy or literature if you don't mention specifically what they believe. --Perhaps I am just rambling now. I'm terribly sorry, I'm very tired.