PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce O'Gean?

Keyan
11-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Can someone help?

O'Jeen?
O'Geen?
O'Gee-an?

J sound or G sound?

Two syllables or three?

Thanks!

CatSlave
11-17-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't have a clue, but if you're trying to name one of your characters, I suggest you choose a name that you and most everybody else can pronounce.

It is extremely irritating to be reading a story and have to stop to wonder how a name is pronounced.

dpaterso
11-17-2008, 02:36 PM
I'd pronounce it Oh Gay-ahn ...or, if it's said quickly, Ogyan.

-Derek

Ms Hollands
11-17-2008, 06:28 PM
When I read it before actually thinking about it, I pronounced it "o-jeen", but seconds later I was thinking I was foolish to read it that way and that it's actually "o-geen". So, only two syllables either way for me.

Del
11-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Can someone help?

O'Jeen?
O'Geen?
O'Gee-an?

J sound or G sound?

Two syllables or three?

Thanks!

But it is just a guess. Emphasis on GEE

ETA: It isn't listed on pronouncenames.com

ETA2: It has been my experience that even related families can pronounce the family name differently. So getting it right isn't necessarily getting it right.

Smiling Ted
11-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Can someone help?

O'Jeen?
O'Geen?
O'Gee-an?

J sound or G sound?

Two syllables or three?

Thanks!

Is this a name you found, or one you made up?

Del
11-17-2008, 08:36 PM
It is frequent on the web, just no pronunciation.

Keyan
11-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks, all!

Barb D
11-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I don't have a clue, but if you're trying to name one of your characters, I suggest you choose a name that you and most everybody else can pronounce.

It is extremely irritating to be reading a story and have to stop to wonder how a name is pronounced.

True confession: The first time I read Harry Potter with my first 9yo (way back in the day, before the movies came out) I thought Hermione was pronounced HER-me-own. I got through the whole first book before I found out I was pronouncing it wrong. I'm reading it again with my current 9yo, and she howled with laughter when I told her that.