I am soooo close to going full-time. I'm just trying to work out the fine details...

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I would have to save the idea of being a full-time writer for when I sold my break out novel ;) because I couldn't find health insurance....until last week. I found good, inexpensive insurance that will cover me and my kids.

Now....there's one more detail......taxes. I am used to getting a good sized tax return. Will I be paying now? A lot? My accountant handles everything so I don't know anything about it. I'm not too bright when it comes to math and finances :)

My accountant is MIA until the first of the year so it's hard to get in touch with him.

Last edited:

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
My first reaction is congrats on your status!

Secondly, if your accountant is MIA I'd get a new one. If you are going to be self-employed fulltime, you need a good, accessible accountant.

A good accountant can also answer your tax questions. My own experience has been that when self-employed, I can deduct work-related expenses on my taxes. BUT, get some real advice!

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
I'm no expert, but don't we get refunds because we over pay our taxes through withholding? So the amount of your refund might have something to do with the quarterly estimated taxes that you'll be paying. Personally, I'm still at the amateur level, so my tax has been covered by my hubby's withholdings. I'm hoping to change that for next year!

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
way to go Jasperd. Congratulations on going ft with freelancing. :)

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
We usually get some $$ back at the end of the year but I think that's because hubby is overly cautious. He handles our takes and keeps track of my writing income and our quarterly payments. I suspect he'd rather overpay a little and get us back than get socked with a nasty-year end surprise because of the self-employed income (I have two other businesses as well).

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
My first reaction is congrats on your status!

Secondly, if your accountant is MIA I'd get a new one. If you are going to be self-employed fulltime, you need a good, accessible accountant.

I second this - both points. One thing I remember from being (not very sucessfully) self-employed is that you need to do your own withholding - that is, every quarter you are supposed to pay taxes. And you pay a larger portion of social security than you would if you were working for someone else. Definitely get a good, accessible, reliable accountant.

ps CONgratulations, btw - that's excellent news. Happy for you!

Last edited:

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
As a self-employed person, you have to pay the total amount of your social security rather than half. The total deduction is just under 15% of your earnings. Other than that, as someone said, you can deduct business expenses (office supplies, office telephone, office computer, mileage to meet clients and interview people, advertising, publications, professional dues, etc.) If I were you, I would find an accountant who deals with a lot of self-employed people and set up a consultation where you can get your questions answered. Your accountant can give you a good idea about what business expenses you can deduct, help you set up the proper categories a tracking system, and explain what kind of documentation you need now before you start incurring expenses. Believe me, it is worth paying for a one-hour consult.

I use Quicken software and enter my expense as they occur as well as all business income. If you tag the expense/income with a category tag, the program allows you to sort your your expenses and income into categories at the end of the year and totals them. Then all you have to do is slot them into the correct spaces on Schedule C (the IRS business form for individual owner businesses).

The accountant can also explain paying quarterly estimated taxes. You don't pay any more tax (except for social security), but you have to take the initiative to pay it yourself rather than having it deducted from your pay.

Don't take my word for this, consult an accountant.

Care to share where you found the insurance? My husband's company is laying off 20% of its workforce, so we may soon be without any.

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
Tish...I'ts "CoverKids" in Tennessee. They offer Blue Shield/Blue Cross. I checked it out and everything is covered. They also have an adult version but it does cost a little more. The only thing, of course, is that you have to live in Tennessee.

If you're from California they have the same thing...Healthy Families. It's good insurance for lower income families.

Hopefully, your husband will be passed over, though.

Good Luck!

treehugger

Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of states offer some kind of health insurance for low income people or families. In Minnesota it's called Minnesota Care and in Wisconsin it's Badger Care. Call up your local social services, or google "(your state) low income health insurance."

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
FYI:

There's a good article in today's WSJ on what to do when you lose your health insurance. Don't have a link handy, but check it out online.

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
if you take jobs where they don't take taxes out, you are responsible for paying your taxes. talk to an accountant to go over all your questions--it's vital.