I almost got it! (ASPCA no longer in print)

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
I queried ASPCA Animal Watch: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to write the story about Gypsy, the dog I posted about who was saved from that dog fighting ring. I just got a response back from the editor. Here's what she said...

"Dear Mrs. ******,

I wish I could accept Gypsy's story, but we no longer have a magazine in which to publish such articles. Animal Watch was discontinued in the fall.

Best wishes in finding another publisher."

Man! I almost had it! I looked them up in Writer's Market and went to their web site. I had no idea they weren't in print any longer. The pay would've been good too. They paid $100-$900. Oh! I'm so bummed! I would've had this one! Arrgh! :Smack:

Well, I'll just have to find another market. *sigh*

So, anyway...ASPCA Animal Watch is no longer in print, gals/guys. :(

rich

Odd, I never thought it would fold. They had a circulation of 330,000 nationally. I had a piece in their a few years ago and have dealt with the editor, Marion Lane, on a few occasions via email. I didn't believe it so I called her up to verify. Damn Shame. I told her it really surprised me. She said, "Yeah, it surprised me, too."

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Good grief! Thanks for the info, Celeste and Rich. And someone had recommended me to the editor to do an article (last year but I didn't have time to follow up on it). Guess it's too late for that now, huh?

I'll go remove this from my list of links. That explains why my link to their guidelines page stopped working months ago.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Ok - here's the I feel awful post. I knew they'd folded because a few weeks ago, I emailed them for guidelines. Let me dig up the response I got and see if they gave me any other details. I'm so sorry - I think I learned about it before I joined this board so it didn't occur to me to post.

Sorry Anne, Celeste - others.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Hey! This should be helpful because it tells what they will accept now. Go for it! I received this on 3/7/05 which indeed is a week or so before I joined AW boards.

Hi Jill,

In an effort to strengthen messaging, further our message to our
members
about the ASPCA and the work we are doing and reduce costs, we are no
longer accepting free-lance pieces to the publication. We have
down-sized
to a 16 page member publication "ASPCA Action". However we do have a
section in the new publication where we will feature member stories of
any
kind. So if that is of interest to you, please let me know

Thanks!

Betsey Fortlouis
Manager Member Communications
ASPCA
(212)876-7700 x4513
[email protected]
Please visit our website: www.aspca.org

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
What a great network of writers we have here! :)

Thanks for that update, Jill. Appreciate it so much!

Celeste, want to check this out for that piece you had in mind to write? Check with them for all the info first though, it sounds like you have to be a member to submit material. Unless I'm reading that wrong?

Last edited:

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Hey, that certainly sounds possible. Thanks for the idea, Jill! Celeste, if you're reading, what do you think? Want to pursue this?

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, I'll look into it. I'm still bummed, though. I would've loved to have this piece in ASPCA Animal Watch. :(

Last edited:

rich

It's a 20 or 24 page newsletter according to Marion--no longer the 4 color pub. She was happy that at least that was happening. I didn't pay attention to her details because it's not the same as Animal Watch.

If you want a true insight on pooches read her "Complete Guide to Dog Care" written by her and the staff of The Humane Society of the U.S.

Be nice if she started her own pub.

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich

Be nice if she started her own pub.

Yeah! Too bad I didn't get a chance to work with her. She seemed very nice.