Biographies

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
As an unpublished novel author, I am in the process of submitting queries. Many publishers/agents request a biography or resume. Is this a request for my life history in narrative form, a listing of publishing credits, or a work history? :Shrug: Thanks in advance for the info!

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Short and sweet, showing credits and/or experiences that may have contributed to your story. Some authors may have an extensive biography. Mine was about half a paragraph.

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Liam!

It's a shame they aren't more specific about these things. The dictionary says a biography is a written account of one's life - you'd think they would at least ask for the author's "literary biography" (or something similar), huh? :Soapbox:

Sorry about that.
Thanks again

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're most welcome.
The deeper you get into the process, the worse it gets. Acronyms, buzz words and phrases... it's maddening for a short while. The upside is that it doesn't take that long to become acclimated.

Best of luck to you.

LJ

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
I've always wondered whether I should include computer-related non-fiction publication credits in a query for a novel (i.e., they have nothing to do with my novel). I've had no fiction published. Ever.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I wouldn't include blogs or websites or such. Now if it's the online version of Asimov or Readers' Digest, then sure, why not. I include my e-zine because it's a paid gig.

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone! At least now I'll know why some of my submissions are being rejected! :(

Here's the new bio para (the original was an abysmal full page accounting of my life):

"My credentials include a Bachelor's Degree in Sociology, with a minor in Criminal Justice, obtained during the first four of my 14 ½ years as a police officer/sergeant in Texas. During that time, I authored the RFP for the law enforcement computer system as well as many types of reports and procedural manuals. Prior to that, I worked as a medical secretary, researching, transcribing and proofing medical research papers and composing correspondence. I have authored 3 web sites, one as a paid web consultant, the others for my own business. This is my first completed fiction work with the first of 2-3 sequels being penned."

Although futuristic, my novel involves law enforcement so my background is relevant to that extent. Comments good, bad or indifferent are welcomed.

The two personal websites mentioned above are: www.woodwareandmooreart.com and www.sportsnutz.net in case anyone is interested. The 3rd site (the one I'm being paid for) is still in process.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited:

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Help! Author bio?

Oy vey. I need to submit an author bio and, despite some really interesting stuff I can put in there, I have zero, zip, zilch writing credits.

What do to? Don't send it? List my credits in my two wildly different careers, neither of which really having anything to do with being a published writer?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I assume you need this for a submission to an agent or editor, yes? First off, don't sweat this so much. If it's for an agent or editor, we want to know a smattering about you and why you wrote the book. What unique qualities did you bring to your writing that makes your work connect with a specific audience. Lastly, what are your future plans? We want to know if you're a one book trick or if you have other books up your sleeve.

Here's a general sample. It's not Hemingway, but it may give you some ideas.

I wrote XYZ because I’m well-versed in medical fiction and know there aren’t any books that blend two of my favorite topics – alternative medicine and how doctors handle controversy. The 2007 New England Journal of Medicine states that 27 billion out-of-pocket dollars are paid to alternative medical practitioners, so I believe X and Y’s passion and dedication will fill a void in the medical fiction genre. It’s important to know that not every doctor is X, and that a doctor’s belief system affects how they care for their patients. There are many ongoing debates that surround the uses of alternative medicine, and I plan on a five book series that will become the “go to” source dedicated to this issue.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
I assume you need this for a submission to an agent or editor, yes? First off, don't sweat this so much. If it's for an agent or editor, we want to know a smattering about you and why you wrote the book. What unique qualities did you bring to your writing that makes your work connect with a specific audience. Lastly, what are your future plans? We want to know if you're a one book trick or if you have other books up your sleeve.

Here's a general sample. It's not Hemingway, but it may give you some ideas.

I wrote XYZ because I’m well-versed in medical fiction and know there aren’t any books that blend two of my favorite topics – alternative medicine and how doctors handle controversy. The 2007 New England Journal of Medicine states that 27 billion out-of-pocket dollars are paid to alternative medical practitioners, so I believe X and Y’s passion and dedication will fill a void in the medical fiction genre. It’s important to know that not every doctor is X, and that a doctor’s belief system affects how they care for their patients. There are many ongoing debates that surround the uses of alternative medicine, and I plan on a five book series that will become the “go to” source dedicated to this issue.

Bless you.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
So if we have no formal education, no official writing credits, and aren't huge participants in any clubs should we just put a little witty info about ourselves?

For instance, a lot of people refer to me as the Lizard Lady (used to run a reptile rescue), or joke that I have a small zoo in my home. I'm a homemaker and full time writer who also happens to sew. Would any of this be something I would put in a bio? I generally don't send one as I didn't think any of this was relevant to my storyline. I don't fight many demons while feeding my chickens. lol