from Orthodox to Catholic

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Ok, story takes place in 15th c. Hungary. The mc is being forced to marry a Catholic girl and he is Orthodox, and is being forced to convert. How long would the process take for the conversion? What would be involved in the conversion? Thanks for any help.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I'd post this over at Christian Forums.

The Catholic forum is called "One Bread, One Body" and the Eastern Ortho is "The Ancient Way."

Cross post or post in one and reference the thread in the other and I imagine you'll get some good information.

You might check http://www.catholic.com/ as well and post there.

Not that you won't get good info here, I just thought you might try those as well.

matdonna

matushka at large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rafterssriptorium.blogspot.com
If it's a forced conversion in this historical context, I suspect it could happen very fast. At that period I'm not sure if the candidate would have to be rebaptized or if they would just be 'confirmed'. That would involve laying on of hands by and RC bishop.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, story takes place in 15th c. Hungary. The mc is being forced to marry a Catholic girl and he is Orthodox, and is being forced to convert. How long would the process take for the conversion? What would be involved in the conversion? Thanks for any help.

There were very very few Eastern Rite people in Hungary in the 15th century (as I imagine you know)--they were a tiny and somewhat marginalized group.

In the 15th century there was no formal conversion ritual--adults were generally rebaptized or reconsecrated, according to the whim of the local bishop. There was no period of instruction as there is today.

So the only delay in the process would be if the character was living in a region that was only rarely visited by a bishop (or if he had to travel to a cathedral city to be rebaptized or reconsecrated by a bishop).

Deleted member 42

What do you mean "orthodox?" Jew? Greek? Byzantine?

If it's not orthodox Jew, it's merely a matter of officially recanting specific heresies, confession, repentance and absolution.