The "I can't flippin' believe I'm this far behind but I'm not giving up yet" thread

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Yep. I'm getting the beatdown from NaNo. I laughed in the NaNo gods faces with my awesome outline and they sprinkled my family with bronchitis and flu dust so the last two weeks have only had me crank out a little over 8k.

Who's refusing to give up with me! Who's already thinking novella or acting it out in an embarrassing and potentially disturbing YouTube video? Don't be ashamed and keep away from those showoffs in the NaNo Word Count thread, hold your head high and become one with your shortcomings!

We few, we happy few---

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm not really allowed in this thread... but I can cheer you guys along... can't I?
Hope your gang are better VERY soon!

:e2cheer::e2bear::e2cheer::e2bear::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2bear::e2cheer::e2bear::e2cheer::e2bear:

ooops, one of the cheerleaders has the 'flu...

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Okay, so I'm not really allowed in this thread... but I can cheer you guys along... can't I?
Hope your gang are better VERY soon!

:e2cheer::e2bear::e2cheer::e2bear::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2bear::e2cheer::e2bear::e2cheer::e2bear:

ooops, one of the cheerleaders has the 'flu...

You're my new hero, look at you go!

LOL, that would be Wynter with the flu today, I'll let her know she has cheerleaders! Thanks! :D

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote 7k in the first three days, then nothing. I'm starting over. I'm not positive I can do this, but I may try just for the fun of it.

There's two weekends left in November, Thanksgiving, and I'd imagine I have the friday after Thanksgiving off. Hubby and I don't have any plans for Thanksgiving, so I am free to write.

We're talking needing to have an extremely high word count each day. Ouch. But, I'm looking at a lot of folk here on AW that are already in their 40's.

My problem, other than rambling like I'm doing here, is that I tend to be a perfectionist. I know NaNo is about giving yourself permission to write crap, but how bad of crap are they talking about? I think about each sentence before I write it, so that leads to slower word counts.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I'm 4,773 words behind - am I allowed in?

Yes indeedy. We take all in need of comforting down this long NaNo trek we've chosen.

*cue lights and soft music*

Tell me your woes, your troubles and sorrows and how NaNo has made you get that weird tattoo on your butt saying "beans, beans, the musical fruit..." Share it with us, we don't judge.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow. Week three and I'm already behind.

It's week three. I'm like way behind. People point and laugh because I haven't reached the expected word count. Everyone else had reached 20-25k words. Look at my word count. :( Compared to the others I feel like an amateur.

Is there anyway to catch up at this point? I really have to get to 50,000 words at the end of the month. AndI really want to catch up to everyone else. I tried word wars. I've progressed well, but I'm not sure.

I've written nothing but crap. The Book No plot, No Problem isn't helping me with falling behind.

The book said if I don't hurry up and reach 50k then a week or two after NaNo, then I'll worry about perfecting the story and caring too much about the characters.

Any advice for me? Is it a good idea to back out and wait till next year?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
You still have two weeks. Get off the internet and write like heck! That's how you can catch up.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
MeowGirl is right. And nobody is pointing and laughing here.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
me 2
Yep. I'm getting the beatdown from NaNo. I laughed in the NaNo gods faces with my awesome outline and they sprinkled my family with bronchitis and flu dust so the last two weeks have only had me crank out a little over 8k.
8k??? I can only DREAM of having written Eight Thousand Words! I'm up to around 800-900 and that's from just two writing sessions, one of them the Flash Fiction challenge from two weeks ago.

I did a FF last week, but it doesn't fit in. Well, I COULD wedge it into my NaNo since my characters have long stretches of nothing to do - it's a long trip to Pluto's Moon and back.

Sure, I can write 3400 words per day for the next two weeks, even though I've never written that much in one day before... well, maybe counting forum and Usenet post and emails, maybe I've typed that many words in a day...
Who's refusing to give up with me! Who's already thinking novella or acting it out in an embarrassing and potentially disturbing YouTube video? Don't be ashamed and keep away from those showoffs in the NaNo Word Count thread, hold your head high and become one with your shortcomings!

We few, we happy few---

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
You will be able to catch up if you believe you can. I'm behind too. But I'm still telling myself that I can do this. Even though I spent most of last week with a skull full of mush that used to be my brain. And next week will include a choreographed dance of appointments that makes my head spin just thinking about it. There's still two weeks.

If you keep going, you may be surprised with the plot ideas and events that start to unfold. I got about 10-12k in before I actually hit my stride. I started with my new MC and a dead body on her lawn. And then had a false start, but kept on anyway. It was hard because I knew that much of what I'd written (esp. the false start) was as rough as 60grit sandpaper and as useful as an umbrella underwater. But I kept on, found my stride, found my plot, and made some great progress.

If you keep going, without worrying so much about whether what you have is good or not, you might just find your stride, too. And the stuff you've written now may make more sense when you figure out where your story is going. You know, you can tie it in nicely later. =)

But remember, NaNoWriMo isn't for everyone. Some people are not able to push on and keep writing even while unsure of the ability to even call themselves "writers." It's a challenge to put aside the desire to write only good things and just write a story. It may or may not make any sense. But for those of us in the pack of fools often get back to just writing for fun with no worries. At least, that's my experience. I'm not worried about the fact that my timeline doesn't make sense as written or that I've got more cliches than a low-budget film. It's just fun writing a new character in a new story and getting those words and ideas shaken out of my head, good, bad, or super-ugly.

I encourage you to push on. Keep writing. It's OKAY if it sucks. At least you're trying. And you might just surprise yourself. Don't give up just because something is hard-- give it a fair try before you give up. And giving up isn't inherently failure. Different people have different writing styles. Some can do the 50k/30days insanity, others take much longer to plot and plod through their works. Neither is "right." But for now, I'd say, KEEP WRITING! Figure out what your character(s) want and what they're willing to do get that. And then put in some obstacles to make them *really* work for it.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
You can do it!

Try thinking up a little plot tonight, while you're fallling asleep. That's always the best time for me when thinking up plots.

XX

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Is there anyway to catch up at this point? I really have to get to 50,000 words at the end of the month. AndI really want to catch up to everyone else. I tried word wars. I've progressed well, but I'm not sure.

Any advice for me? Is it a good idea to back out and wait till next year?
It's not going to be easy, but it's definitely doable. As others have said, just sit yourself down and write. Avoid all distractions.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You can do it!

Try thinking up a little plot tonight, while you're fallling asleep. That's always the best time for me when thinking up plots.

XX
That's a great idea. Do you write as soon as you got th idea? Without thinking it over? Would you think it over or just write it?

I had ideas like this at bedtime, and end up writing them without thinking. The scenes just never worked out.

Screw it. IT's crap anyway.

The bedtime part is an excellent idea. :D

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I like to put the word "only" in my deficit number. It makes it seem achievable.

As of today, I'm ONLY 10,000 words behind. :|

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
16k? At least you've gotten that far.
nanocount.aspx

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
That's a great idea. Do you write as soon as you got th idea? Without thinking it over? Would you think it over or just write it?

I had ideas like this at bedtime, and end up writing them without thinking. The scenes just never worked out.

Screw it. IT's crap anyway.

The bedtime part is an excellent idea. :D

I don't write it down straight away, i usually build on it while i fall asleep. By the morning it usually changes slightly, but always for the better. Also because i'm thinking about it just before i fall asleep, sometimes i dream about the scenes. I've had a couple of great ideas that way.

Good luck :D

XX

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm around 16k too. I haven't added any to my word count since the 11th. I've been busy with being in my fall play and homework, and coming up I have musical orientation and auditions and a National Honor Society induction. However, I will keep trying. If I don't make 50k, maybe I can at least make it to 25k, 30k, 40k or so by the end of this?

cherubsmummy

Experienced Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
As I have whined before, I am a long way behind too. I have been thinking hard, though, and I think part of my problem was that the story was wrong. In the past couple of days I have been coming up with a new direction. I have realised that very little of the 5k words I have written are going to part of the finished product, but I will keep them for now.

We just need to keep plodding along. If I end up with even a decent outline of a novel by the end of this month I will be a very happy camper.

Emma

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so far behind I can't even think about it. All I can do is keep plodding along writing as much as I can. I'm writing every day, though, which is a huge improvement for me. So I'm taking that grain of happiness and running with it.

justsomeguy

Registered
Reaction score
I like to put the word "only" in my deficit number. It makes it seem achievable.

I like that.

I ONLY have to write 4,346 words before I fall asleep tonight.

So what if I've already written hundreds of words today.

I can have a 5,000 day, even if I've never pulled that off in my life, so far as I remember.

I've ONLY got 4,346 more to go.

ONLY

I'm just going to keep repeating that. Or muttering it quietly to myself.

Same difference.

Good luck to everyone else who's refusing to give up.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Just a thought-
We that have only written 500, 2000, 8000 words are still light years ahead of those who have never tried to write a novel yet say they always will.

Never give up - never give in!