Getting started in Flash Fiction

Sc00t

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sns.ewrestle.net
I've never written flash fiction before but there's a competition at my University that I'd like to enter -- does anyone have any recommended reading that would help me get a grasp on what Flash Fiction is all about?

Cheers!

-sc00t

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Does the university give a word count for the contest? Though flash is often 1000 words or less, some places set a lower limit.

Structure it like a normal story, with a beginning, middle and end. It should have a plot. The only difference with flash is economy of words... you can't waste any.

The best way to get a handle on it is to read some. You might want to check out the 'polished and ready' subforum of this one, for stories being critiqued (password is flashed). There are also a few examples in the March FAD entries thread (sticked in this forum), and in flash fiction magazines (there's an index of magazines in the discussion sub-forum... a fair number of those listed under 'f' are flash fiction only, because flash fiction magazines like to start their name with flash).

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what you consider 'flash'. In the horror section a few months ago we had a ton of 100 word flash stories, title included, and most of them were great.

It means you choose your words with great care and I'm not certain that a book could really tell you how to do one. Just jump in and give it a try. They are fun and you will be amazed at how well you can show a whole story with so few words. I love them and they are a blast to do.

Good luck.