Your realistic expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

What are your realistic expectations from writing? Everyone dreams in general terms of fame, fortune and fandom, but what exactly do you hope your writing with provide for you and for those who read it?

Thanks,

ED

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
Being honest and realistic, I would hope that it will be able to provide me with a stable source of income sometime in the future, I would hope that it continues to improve and that those who read it are at the very least entertained, and at most, changed in some way by my stories. If I could achieve those goals, I'd be a very happy chap.

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
I hope I will be able to pay my modest bills, feed and clothe the kids and keep them in school as long as they want. This is highly unlikely.

I hope people read my books and that the people who do, get a kick out of it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bah.

Okay. Realism?

I don't know if I 'expect' anything, but what could realistically happen? Anything, I guess. Even JK Rowling was living in poverty-stricken obscurity once.

I'd like to see my name on the cover of more than one book - that would prove I had an established career, not just a flash-in-the-pan thing going on.

Enough money to not have to worry about money. And to not have to take outside jobs.

Whoever said money doesn't make you happy - pfft. I'd be happy if I had financial freedom to travel (yes, including to Japan) and buy nice clothes.

So for me it's about financial independence.

That, and winning the Booker, which is my ultimate writing dream.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Ok, in all seriousness...my expectations?

I *want* bestsellerdom, obscene amounts of wealth, the Brothers Leto as my manslaves, etc. I *expect* publication, a modest income, etc.

Right now, I'm just focusing on getting it written and getting it published...I'll work out the particulars from there.

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
Ugh, this is the kind of question that I don't like.

It's hard for me to discuss, but to sum up my childhood, I was constantly told that I would not amount to anything. For me to publish a book is a huge step for me. So a lot of my goals have already been accomplished.

I never ever believed that I would get a lot of money from my books (although it would be nice!). For now it's about telling a story, and I hope to tell a lot of stories in my future.

Mr. Chuckletrousers

Sith happens.
Registered
Reaction score
but what exactly do you hope your writing with provide for you and for those who read it?
I hope to experience the joy of getting to warp the pure, innocent minds of tomorrow's youth, just like my mind was twisted by my favorite authors. It's like "Pay It Forward", except with less shmaltz and more assless leather chaps.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I hope to experience the joy of getting to warp the pure, innocent minds of tomorrow's youth, just like my mind was twisted by my favorite authors. It's like "Pay It Forward", except with less shmaltz and more assless leather chaps.

You're my hero.

Jenifer

Now with extra neurotic filling.
Registered
Reaction score
I, of course, would love to hit the best seller lists within my first three books. :D

Realism, realism, okay... I don't do a lot of realism generally... hang on.

Hm. Yeah.

I would be absolutely thrilled just to hold that first book in my hands- riffle the pages and suck in a deep breath. Paper cut on the nose optional. I would even do it in front of people (my fiance hates me in book stores). Anything else would be icing.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
As far as other people go, I hope they find my writing entertaining. For me, I'm looking at a new batch of fishes next year. I only have to sell one more short story and I'll earn those fishes. Maybe some doughnuts too, if I sell it for lots.

Earning a living would be good, but it's a bit early to see if that's realistic.

(Technically I can afford the fishes anyway, but it's nice to link small earnings to something tangible)

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Fame, fortune, and fandom? that is a big request. That's like only the top one percent of writers. I'd personally like to at least make a reasonable amount of my income off writing, and perhaps work my way into a teaching job. Oh, and most of all to be able to keep writing. I want each book to interest them into publishing another one.

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Realistically, I expect to keep improving in my writing. More hope than expectation is that the continual improvement will pay off in some way.

One beautiful expectation has been realized. Every time someone visits our house for the first time, Little Fizzy (eight years old) brings out one of my books to show it off. That's my bestseller list, and if I never make an official one, all of the effort behind my writing has already been well worth it. Sappy, I know. But, you can't imagine the emotional impact. This (or something similar), is what I hope every writer here at AW gets to experience.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Well, since you asked for my realistic expectations...

As far as I know, a large majority of people who seek publication fail. Therefore, I expect to fail. I will likely never see a novel of mine sell well on the open market.

However, that hasn't stopped me from trying. Yet. Just because all data indicates a high probability of failure doesn't mean that value is 1.0. I've worked hard, and now I can only hope my skill will carry me through to success.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Realistically I'd like to continue to write for as long as I'd like, and perhaps paid handsomely to do so.

But expectations are not useful. Hopes and dreams and goals are more realistic and approachable. Expectation often leads to disappointment and disillusions and resentment. I understand expectations too well to set myself up again.

October

Fueled by Ramen
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

What are your realistic expectations from writing? Everyone dreams in general terms of fame, fortune and fandom, but what exactly do you hope your writing with provide for you and for those who read it?

Thanks,

ED

My hope is to make stories. Lots and lots of stories. Whenever I write, I write things that I wish could happen to me. I have a lot of cool, different adventures I want to go on. Writing has a spiritual component for me because when I write, I feel like I'm making a connection with my (as-yet unfounded) patron/patroness and my dymium (don't ask, seriously). All I expect is to be able to enjoy myself and maybe find a few readers who also enjoy what I do.

I'd like to get published, too, but that's not so important to me. I'm not sure I want money. Fame, maybe, but not money. And definitely not fandom. Fandom sucks.

Realistically I'd like to continue to write for as long as I'd like, and perhaps paid handsomely to do so.

Quoted for truth.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I want people to read and enjoy my books. I'd like to have a series. And I'd like to be able to work a few less jobs. Currently, I have three and am looking for some more part time work. I'd like to work less than 40 hours a week. And for me, writing is so much fun that even when I'm 'working' on a story, it's not work.

Though, I would SO love to get enough money from book sales to buy myself a nice brand-used hybrid. =D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My expectation is to publish at least one book with a well-known publisher. If I have to go with a smaller, less well-known press first and then move upward on the second sale, that would be fine as well.

I suppose some monetary compensation goes with that, but to be honest that's not why I'm doing this. I want to be read. I want to change the way people think. I want to make people cry.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let expectations
prey each day
on smaller pleasures
profound

But never let them
devour an hour
of hopes' and dreams'
holy ground

For the first sometimes
attacks in packs
and the second
too easily die

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
Good question! Interesting responses…

Now me, I’d be satisfied with being able to supplement my retirement income, to sit at home, in my jammies, and be able to work any hours I chose; and to write memorable characters that spring to life on the page and that my readers can identify with.

WannabeAntigone

Honestly, compared to other amateur writers out there in internet land I'm a dunce, may be because of my lack of experience dont really know. What I expect to do with my life is finish my marketing and creative writing course in uni and become a publisher who can help those better unknown writers tell their stories to the world. Thats my expectation.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Fame and fortune? No thanks. I would like to touch people with my words. That's about all. I like giving aha moments and getting in the reader's head.

C.M.C.

Archetype
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Realistically, as long as I can hold a book with my name on it, that's good enough for me. I've never aspired to find fame, or a lengthy literary career.

Status
Not open for further replies.