I'm not the right agent for this

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
The rejections have been rolling in, and I'm wondering; what does "I'm not the right agent for this" mean exactly?? (considering that I wrote a YA fantasy novel and have only been querying agents that represent YA and fantasy)

Ms. Jem

Love, Lust and Ghosts
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danitaminnis.com
That's a standard 'no thanks'. A nice, but unfortunately vague way of rejecting your work. Everyone on this site has probably received it one time or another or a thousand. :)

But you will also receive some good rejections, one's that explain what the editor, agent or publisher thinks is wrong with your work. Those are the helpful ones - look forward to those and the learning experiences they provide.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, form rejection. Spend as much time analyzing it as the agent did pasting your name into it. Then move on.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Hi all,
The rejections have been rolling in, and I'm wondering; what does "I'm not the right agent for this" mean exactly?? (considering that I wrote a YA fantasy novel and have only been querying agents that represent YA and fantasy)

As others have said, it's a form rejection letter politely telling you they're not interested. They may be the right agent for the genre you're writing, but the wrong agent for the specific story you wrote. Something about it just didn't jive for them. Agents have biases and opinions just like anyone else. It's a subjective business.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

It means send it to someone else....... and that's all