PDA

View Full Version : Agent asked for partial and exclusive

elroy
11-15-2008, 11:50 PM
I had an agent ask for some chapters and wanted an exclusive. I sent the partial and the proposal (it's non-fiction) and said, "I'd have to think about the exclusive" b/c I haven't been fortunate to have that kind of trouble yet. Fact is, I had a request for a partial the same day (w/no exclusive).

I never really responded back with to say yes or no on the exclusive and have continued with more submissions and other requests for partials (I'm on a lucky streak I guess).

Should I bother contacting the one that asked for the exclusive? I'm of the feeling that when an agent asks to read stuff, you need to leave them alone for a while at least a few weeks or more. Then again, b/c of this case, it gives my itchy-fingered self the chance to just poke in and say, "Hi, BTW..." and maybe find out if there's some interest.

Or maybe I should sit on my itchy fingers?'

elroy....

C.bronco
11-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Let the agent know that you had another, nonexclusive request for a partial, and you would be happy to forward your partial. Let them suggest which path to take.

ORION
11-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I would send it and say that it wasn't available as an exclusive as it has already been submitted to other agents - When I sent the manuscript of LOTTERY to Dorian (my agent) at WMA she asked for an exclusive as a matter of course and I sent it but responded that I couldn't grant the exclusive as my manuscript was already with other agents- she just asked to be kept in the loop as far as offers I received and read it anyway- she ended up offering (as did the other agents)- while it might have been unwise in retrospect - I did admit to her that she was my top pick-

Danthia
11-18-2008, 02:16 AM
If I'm reading your question right, you were asked for an exclusive on a partial, and you sent the partial but told the agent you weren't sure if you could give an exclusive. Then got another request and sent the work out.

Orion gives excellent advice if you have not yet sent the partial, but it sounds like you did. If the agent thinks they have an exclusive and don't, you could run into some unhappy feelings if you get an offer from someone else and then have to tell them. If the agent thinks they don't have an exclusive, you're fine.

Since it's just a partial you're probably okay either way right now. But if the exclusive agent asked for the MS, make sure you both are clear if it's on an exclusive basis or not.

scope
11-18-2008, 04:41 AM
Ditto to what Danthia said.