Is it okay to use a title that someone else has already used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm preparing to pitch a column to some magazines. I put 3 sample pieces together and also a heading, for them, which fits the bill pretty well. I did an internet search on this heading/title and only one hit came up for an essay with the same title published in 2004 on somebody's website. Do I have to be concerned about this?

"A" Is For "Agent"

Big Meanie Head
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a problem unless say, you were to call your new memoir, Angela's Ashes.
Or if you were to write a tragic romance novel and call it Titanic. You feel me?

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Like others have said, it's been done before. However you should avoid it if you can. And like A for Agent said, definetely avoid using famous titles.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...cool. Thanks everyone. The essay was on politics and my column is about sports so sounds like I'm safe. Makes sense with the examples you sited A Is For Agent. If I titled a memoir Angela's Ashes readers might confuse mine for it and enable me to profit through association, which definitely wouldn't be right.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Titles are not copyrighted. I find it better to use titles that have not been used on prize winning or popular novels. I was writing a novel once that I called "Angle of Repose" only to find out that a novel of the same name had been published by Wallace Stegner. It was a massive book and the novel he loved the best out of his own work. I could not possibly use the title even though I legally could. Angle of Repose is a geologic/physics term and anyone could use it-- Stegner did the best job with it. Nor would I use "Life on the Mississippi," though I legally can. Like great sports hero's numbers, I think it is a common author's tribute to retire a title when someone has really nailed it.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Does that mean I shouldn't name my book Harry Potter and the Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
well let me put it like this, names and titles are so uncopyrighted that i could start writing a book called "Gone with the Wind" and use the pen name Margret Michell, and as long as it isn't a novel about a love story in old south, i would be fine.

but for now, im off to the tech section, something is very wrong with my browser...

Status
Not open for further replies.