How do museums secure lawn-sculptures?

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know?

For example: In San Francisco, the De Young museum has various outdoor sculptures, including a number of ceramic apples. Though they're not meant to be sat on, they're just the right size, so people do. So far, they haven't toppled over or moved, so they're pretty solidly fastened.

So how are they secured to the ground? There's a steel plate under each one, but what's holding that? Concrete?

I need a character to pull one out. He's got superhuman strength, so he can do it, but I want to know what he'll have in his hands when he does.

I suppose another option would be to insert some kind of saw just under the sculpture and cut it loose from the plate. But I don't want any damage to the sculpture...

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...bear in mind, too, that surveillance cameras may be fixed on the sculptures as an additional deterrent.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
The Palais Des Pap in Avignon has/had a topiaries in the inner courtyard. The one I saw was Snoopy! Ya gotta love the French.
C

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most outdoor art I've seen is either bolted to a base or relies on sheer size and weight to render it theft-proof. Your superhuman is not your typical art thief.

This is something any museum director would discuss with you, you know, once s/he understood you're a writer seeking to get every detail correct. Call and make an appointment for an in-person or phone interview.

Maryn, remembering that her city's art museum is run by the daddy of one of her kids' classmates, therefore fully approachable

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all! I think I'll try talking to them.