PDA

View Full Version : What is the NEXT music?

write4details
05-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Rap will not last much longer. (AMAZING it's gone this long)
Alternative has run down.

What is next? What will be the next big music direction, what all the kids will be listening to in 5 years?

What will it be like? Primitive, synthetic, tribal, rural, geeky?

Celeste
05-09-2005, 04:54 PM

Gosh! I hope so. I'm not a fan of rap music. But I think it'll still be around for a long time. There still is a big audience for it. And as long as the record companies keep making money from it, it'll still be around (unfortunately).

Not sure what'll be next. I'll have to give that some more thought. I'll be seeing some musicians later today. I'll ask them what they think.

celeste

Fractured_Chaos
05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Hopefully the music producers will wake up, and start promoting more artists who are willing to make good albums, rather than one "good" song (which is debatable), on a full album of crap. And maybe they'll realize that you don't have to put out a new album every year, but a -good- album every few years will make more money (because they can get several singles from it, and it will continue to sell well).

I know alot of people snicker behind their hands at me, because I'm an incurable Rammstein fangrrrlll. But it's not just because the lead singer is incredibly HAWT (well to me, anyway), but I have listened to every album they've put out. They've been popular in Europe for over 10 years, and they haven't put out a single bad album. Every last one of them was good all the way through. Some better than others, but no duds. They also put on DAMN good shows. They don't lipsynch, either. They write their own music, and play their own instruments.

Now, for most bands, singing in anything but English is death to their careers. Especially if they want to appeal to an international audiance. But Rammstein sings in German, almost exclusively, and there are -alot- of people in the US who like them, as well as all over the world. American record producers would do well to pay attention to that, instead of pushing the next Britteny Spears sound-alike.

Now, their music might not be to your liking, but the fact that they are that popular, and well recieved (most places)* is impressive. There aren't any artists, or groups in the US that can make that claim anymore. At least none who get any airplay.

I've gotten to the point I don't listen to the radio because of it.

*Clarification: Rammstein is an aquired taste, and it's not the American ticket-buyers who don't want them here, but the "officials", ever since the lead singer was escourted off stage in Maryland for his performance of "Buck Dich". Let's just say, this is not exactly a show you'd let your 13 y/o go see. But too many people freak out when they see the translations to their lyrics, and take them too serious. They don't even take themselves that seriously! :ROFL:

(if you're not familiar with them, you can find out more about them here (http://herzeleid.com/), along with the translations to the lyrics...warning: Do not read if you're easily offended)

Ella
05-10-2005, 01:17 AM
The 80's is coming back, with a harder sound. Just in time to coincide with the new 80's fashion.

I'd like to see more funk and disco, as from the 70's. I can't ever see the Du-Wop and Beach Boy's style being remade, but you never know. THAT would be a hoot.

amidsummerswrite
05-12-2005, 05:34 PM
I think I have to agree with Ella on this one. Decades usually seem to come back in style after 20-25 yrs. Unfortunate, but true. And I hate Spandex.
:-(

Celeste
05-12-2005, 06:01 PM
I think I have to agree with Ella on this one. Decades usually seem to come back in style after 20-25 yrs. Unfortunate, but true. And I hate Spandex.
:-(

Very true. Even with fashion. It goes round and round repeating itself, only with a more modern twist added. Ya' know what I'm sayin'?

William Haskins
05-13-2005, 06:22 PM
http://www.chialpha.com/expeditions/alvin's%20web%20art/Polka.jpg

gogoshire
05-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Gee, William. You think?

Godfather
05-13-2005, 10:58 PM
does it really matter what the NEXT music is?

is it really signifigant? your still going to have to wade through all the **** that these executives will inevitably put out in waves to find the real stuff.

when i think, very few good bands come to mind that are at their peak. the white stripes, the black keys.
the rest, you just have to go through the archives and listen to the older stuff.

the best lyrics is in most of the older stuff as well, dylan, guthrie, robert johnson.

the NEXT music will probably be murder of some form of music. the music industry has murdered rock music, rap, reggae, pop and r&b... excuse me, but have ANY of these "R&B" artists actually heard R&B?! rythm and blues. it was one of the key rolls in birthing rock and roll, and R&B came from the blues and jazz. is there ANY of that in what they now call R&B?

hah!

amidsummerswrite
05-14-2005, 01:15 AM
Nah,

R&B stations definitely aren't what they used to be. But then again, neither is rock or country. All things develop, and lots seem to get watered down. As you pointed our though, there are some good things that still get out there(The White Stripes)

write4details
05-20-2005, 10:03 AM
When things are watered down and losing power across the board...there is probably something new about to happen. It doesn't come out of nowhere, it slowly builds up in obscure places, then starts popping up and pretty soon it's hip, and then everybody is into it.

Many times in the past, it came from Black communities. (Not always...punk, acid rock, "alternative" and grunge, etc.) I think it's unlikely that will be where the next wave comes from. Maybe from the new biggest minority...Hispanics. There have been some odd things there in recent years. "Nortec" is a blend of techno with "norteno"...**** kicker polka music with a lot of songs about narcotics trade.

amidsummerswrite
05-21-2005, 01:53 AM
POLKA???

:Jaw:

Celeste
05-21-2005, 02:22 AM
there are some good things that still get out there(The White Stripes)

Ahhh, yes! Another GREAT Detroit band -- The White Stripes! Speaking of...

I had plans to go to the next White Stripes show w/ someone, but that fell through. Wanna' go? Lol...

amidsummerswrite
05-21-2005, 02:25 AM
Really? When? Not sure if I'd be able to...I told ya about my significant other in a PM, remember? But I could try!!!

Celeste
05-21-2005, 02:32 AM
Really? When? Not sure if I'd be able to...I told ya about my significant other in a PM, remember? But I could try!!!

Yeah, I remember. ;)

I've been asking around, trying to find out when they'll be in town. Not known yet, but they've gotta' play somewhere in the Detroit area some time this summer. And when they do, I'm there! Definitely! If I find out of any shows, I'll let you know...

Renee
05-21-2005, 02:50 AM
Rap will not last much longer. (AMAZING it's gone this long)Alternative has run down.What is next? What will be the next big music direction, what all the kids will be listening to in 5 years?

Too bad rap couldn't be re-worked and turned in to true R&B. Just for the record I like rap very little and would like to see that slice of music turned into real music - not just music that talks about gangsters & look at my hoes & retarded looking gold teeth..hahah....ok that's a rant that may or may not go with this thread.

Ok, one more quick music rant, please come on you know you want to hear it..haha..

What is the deal with that "new" music that they "call" heavy-metal? I used to know what heavy metal was (you know like Black Sabbath), at least I thought I did until they came up with what I call scream like you're possessed heavy-metal. I can't stand that crap!! If you can scream like an evil man through the whole "song" it isn't singing...damn it!

LOL..

The next genre of music? Wow, that really is an excellent question, one that has had me racking my mind for days cause I love music and I should know this answer! That's when you know you like music way too much...

I think there will be some brand-new genre, one that has yet to be named or discovered.

I wish I could predict musically what the future holds..I'm thinking tribal beats will be blended in to the music scheme more, because really it's the only thing that I feel hasn't been done already (except for maybe Godsmack). Hopefully it will be rock - make that a new level of pure hard-rock (free of screams, please). Rock is really the only kind of music that hasn't dissolved over the years...

How about Tribal Rock?! I can also see trance music becoming the new thing.

Celeste
05-21-2005, 03:00 AM
What is the deal with that "new" music that they "call" heavy-metal? I used to know what heavy metal was (you know like Black Sabbath), at least I thought I did until they came up with what I call scream like you're possessed heavy-metal. I can't stand that crap!! If you can scream like an evil man through the whole "song" it isn't singing...damn it!

How about Tribal Rock?! I can also see trance music becoming the new thing.

Ugh! I know what you mean about all the screaming heavy metal. It drives me insane! Now, Black Sabbath is some good stuff!

And I must say... "Tribal Rock", interesting! Hmm....

Renee
05-21-2005, 03:21 AM
Ugh! I know what you mean about all the screaming heavy metal. It drives me insane! Now, Black Sabbath is some good stuff!

And I must say... "Tribal Rock", interesting! Hmm....

I thought it was just me! I don't see why they call is heavy-metal because that screaming crap isn't the definition, to me, of what music was when the phrase was coined. It's almost like they think the louder they scream the heavier it just has to be - not! That scream metal needs to find it's own little genre so that true heavy-metal can stay in it's own slot. Then again, some of the old metal that I like will soon be called classic rock?! WTF...that's when you start feelin' old..sigh..

Black Sabbath = awesome! The new bands would do better trying to go with with what I call the metal formula. Or make their very own genre, rather than messing up the definition of metal.

And the worst part of it all is that it's Ozzy bringing in the scream metal. As well as he performs live you would think he'd have a true ear for music..maybe he just doesn't want a band good enough (one that sings and doesn't scream) to replace his badazz music? HAHA...

Tribal Rock - remember you head it here first! lmfao..

Oh I know! I can go have that phrase registered to me like others have done that's hot or you're fired. Right! ;)Or maybe the phrase: thank you, or it's Monday! lmfao..those silly people...

DirtySyko
05-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Rap isn't exactly what's "popular" right now anyways, but don't get your hopes up about rap ever dying... It's been around for a long time, why would it suddenly leave? Are we forgetting Public Enemy, NWA, Beastie Boys, or Run DMC? I'm a fan of old rap, it's this new rap that is making the rap industry look like a bunch of ignorant jackasses... But that's what happens to all genres of music.

Look at punk rock. Punk music in the 70s and 80s used to be about striking out against the government, anarchy, and songs about rebellion. While I don't like that style of music very much, I do respect the work bands like Sex Pistols put into their music, and at least they had SOMETHING to say... Now punk rock music has become watered down, less frantic, and they have nothing of importance to preach. Infact they've become known as "Emo" music, which means emotional. Emo is probably my least favorite genre. Any genre who claims they sing emotional music needs a slap to the face, because it implies nothing else is emotional. The Beatles, The Who, Eric Clapton, CCR, and hell, even Guns n Roses, put more EMOTION into their music than these new mainstream bands like The Used, The Bled, My Chemical Romance, Good Charlotte, and Linkin Park.

The irony of music now is this:

Old punk rock used to be hardcore, screaming, cussing, lashing out against society... Modern punk rock is the complete opposite.

Old heavy metal used to be more meaningful, less screams, and less electronic sounds. Modern heavy metal is the complete opposite.

It seems that music genres have went from one extreme to another. I can't very well say what might come next, but I'm guessing in the next 5 years popular music will be similiar to the Punk/Emo music you hear now. I'll always have my 60s, 70s, and 80s music anyways, so I don't really care.

I might be 19, but at least I know good music ;)

popculturewriterhope
06-17-2005, 07:17 AM
I think fusion is always a good idea. People can open themselves to other forms of music and still enjoy the stuff they like at the same time. For example, I like freestyle music along the lines of 80s artists like Expose, Alisha and Sweet Sensation. On the other hand, I like the industial music of groups like Ministry and the Revolting Cocks...Basically anything involving Al Jourgenson, everybody's favorite heroin-addled walking freak-out.

I think a combination of freestyle and industrial could really give the music industry (or at least the dance music industry) a real kick. Dance music needs it right now. I've read that they're starting to play more gay-bashing rap in gay dance clubs and I think industrial freestyle could really mix things up.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

P.S,

I wouldn't know how to improve the rock music industry. Modern rock isn't really my thing.

Godfather
06-17-2005, 10:56 AM
the sex pistols... now they were a band, so..... invigorating.
johnny rottens a sell out now. hmm, ironic?
the clash were even better though.
punk seems to be so different for each artist.
sex pistols
clash
ramones
patti smith..

honest to god, i'm afraid the 'next' music might be something i'm like.
if i hear blues or folk on any pop music station... oh man... i'll be rightly pissed.

because no matter waht they start off with, they try add a twist to it so it won't be the same as the old stuff. but blues and folk. no you can't change those. the music comes from the musicians, NOT any company executives.

and if blues or folk does become popular, well, we'll just need to remind them that blues and folk is where odern music came from. rap even came from those.

*sigh* just... turn off your radio.

Jim Colyer
08-15-2005, 01:44 AM
I am waiting for a 90s revival. Hopefully, my songs will be accepted in that wave. I wrote 400.

There is so much music now that no one knows what a hit is anymore or what the current trend is. Is is chaos with every writer and artist for himself or herself.

Jim Colyer @ Soundclick http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/jimcolyer_music.htm

JPSpideyCJ
03-17-2007, 03:23 AM
Rave music is highly popular now, and I think it will last for a long long time.

Little Red Barn
03-17-2007, 03:37 AM
I feel we are heading back to Rock-- Advertising I feel is promoting this more into their ads.
But as I always have a lot of teens around I hear them listening to Zepplin, Lynard, Moody Blues, Hendrix, JA and so forth... They are buying old records and so forth-
This of course is my own opinion as I jump from classical, rock, rap, country, anything--

Anthony Ravenscroft
03-17-2007, 12:36 PM
There's no "next" style. I mean, god knows nobody'd ever think of doing that old crap like blues, or jazz, or country, or folk, or Baroque, or...

Polka? Oh, yes. Check out Brave Combo.

I'm from Minneapolis. I'm constantly surprised how often the stuff we though was old hat a decade ago suddenly catches fire -- absolutely everyone with a guitar did Irish in the 1980s, worldbeat in the early 1990s.

(I have no personal preferences except that it be good, so I listen to Primus, Filter, Fatboy Slim, Tool, Black Sabbath, Shriekback, Depeche Mode, Marty Robbins...)

Trends are, most times, a matter of hype. Almost all of the "styles" of recent dance music are nonsense, artificial categorisations stemming from gratutious pigeonholing & one-upmanship. I actually listened to one kid whine about how he reallyREALLY needed to know whether a given tune was IDM or jungle "because I can't stand IDM & I looooove jungle!" Criminies -- would Kiss sound like Kiss if they dressed like Lynyrd Skynyrd...?

Penny Graham
03-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Now this is a great question, and all I can say is THANK GOD for the old stuff. I don't think it is us "getting old" and unable to relate to the kid stuff today, because the "kids", teens and even a little over 21 are all going for the old stuff. Uriah Heep, Moody Blues, Ozzie, KANSAS ( left overture....Carry on my wayward son...what a genius production, melody, LYRICS, (now there is thought provoking) Quicksilver, The Cars, Pink Floyd, on and on, I have to ask WHAT HAPPENED TO FEEL GOOD MUSIC, TURN IT UP, THROW YOU ARMS IN THE AIR, SING ALONG GREAT MUSIC? I have nephews that tell my sister and I how lucky we were to be there when it was going on. What do they listen to? All the above and many more old albums...the Who, remember Tommy? Now that was talent. Put songwriters and musicians behind the desks instead of businessmen who never played a note, and good music will return! I'd even have Al Stewart (Year of the Cat) and John Denver over what's on the radio today. I suspect a lot of us listen to talk radio, where they don't know what they're doing either. Oh, at least we have it all on old discs.

DreamWorks
03-19-2007, 07:02 PM
music of the future: devotchka

DreamWorks
03-19-2007, 07:07 PM
I am waiting for a 90s revival. Hopefully, my songs will be accepted in that wave. I wrote 400.

There is so much music now that no one knows what a hit is anymore or what the current trend is. Is is chaos with every writer and artist for himself or herself.

Jim Colyer @ Soundclick http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/jimcolyer_music.htm

your music doesn't sound very '90's' to me - more like 60's style

Shadow_Ferret
03-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Rave music is highly popular now, and I think it will last for a long long time.
I don't even know what rave is.

I keep hoping for a Big Band revival. I mean we had a few attempts, Brian Setzer, Squirrel Nut Zippers, and that guy who sounds a little like Sinatra. I forget his name.

MattW
03-20-2007, 05:36 AM
I don't even know what rave is.Me either. Unless it's some new trippy offspring of techno/trance that is undistinguishable except to people "cool" enough to listen to it.

I keep hoping for a Big Band revival. I mean we had a few attempts, Brian Setzer, Squirrel Nut Zippers, and that guy who sounds a little like Sinatra. I forget his name.Harry Connick? Also Big Bad Voodoo Daddy because I like saying it.

"Hip-hop is dead."
- Nas

Shadow_Ferret
03-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Yes, Harry Connick.

What we need are more trombones! There aren't enough trombones in modern music!

J. Weiland
03-20-2007, 05:44 PM
I believe the records with people singing like chipmunks will have a renaissance period of several months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypoV68sYIsQ

Shadow_Ferret
03-20-2007, 05:45 PM
I believe the records with people singing like chipmunks will have a renaissance period of several months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypoV68sYIsQ
I thought we already had a decade of that. They were called Boy Bands.

blacbird
03-20-2007, 10:17 PM
I dunno, but I sure hope it gets here soon.

caw

rtilryarms
03-22-2007, 12:36 AM
does it really matter what the NEXT music is?

is it really signifigant? your still going to have to wade through all the **** that these executives will inevitably put out in waves to find the real stuff.

Actually, ask the teens. the new word out there is "Unsigned". I'll elaborate on it a little more soon but the youtube crowd is exploding before our eyes and the corporations are not recognizing it. Will they discover it before it is too late?

Keep an eye on "Open Mic" nights and coffee houses. Labels will never disappear but the youngsters are tired of being told what to listen to. Rap was a contributer of the dissatisfation.

Myspace is the current launching pad. youtube is the vessel.

Mud Dauber
03-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Ahhh, yes! Another GREAT Detroit band -- The White Stripes! Speaking of...

I had plans to go to the next White Stripes show w/ someone, but that fell through. Wanna' go? Lol...

Darn! Some people with excellent taste on here (I LOVE the White Stripes!) and every single one of them was banned.:cry: What's the deal?

JPSpideyCJ
03-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Rave music is old techno songs, drum beats and old Rap/Hip-Hop lyrics added on top and sped up to chipmunk speed. Its mainly popular in England though.

Writer14
03-31-2007, 04:35 PM
The music of the future coming from a teen's standpoint (though I don't speak for all teens) is Alternative Rock & Screamo. I listen to lots of Fall Out Boy, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Yellow Card, Panic! At The Disco, The All-American Rejects, and The Fray.

and you all are going to look at this post and be like: Oh god... plz don't let the world of music come to this!

^^;;

Anthony Ravenscroft
03-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Dunno -- most of that sounds like mid-1980s East Coast emo/thrash.

I'm still listening to Blur and Filter, Richard Thompson and Bill Nelson, The The and Depeche Mode, The Wolfgang Press and Boiled in Lead, Killswitch Click and Chemical Brothers....

aruna
04-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I can't stand contemporary music. I am very nostalgic for music of the early 70's, 60's, and even earlier, so was very happy when Norah Jones burst on the scene.
Recently I discovered a young German songwriter/singer I love; Synje Norland. She lived in Canada and sings in English. You can hear samples of her songs here (http://www.myspace.com/synjenorland). My favourites are The One and Tried So Hard. She's reminiscent of Joni Mitchell. I'd love a comeback of more touchy-feelly music like this. Bring back the acoustic guitar!.

McDuff
04-02-2007, 02:32 PM
WHAT HAPPENED TO FEEL GOOD MUSIC, TURN IT UP, THROW YOU ARMS IN THE AIR, SING ALONG GREAT MUSIC?
It's called Nizlopi (http://www.nizlopi.com/). Or Electric Six (http://www.electricsix.com/). Or Pat McCurdy (http://www.patmccurdy.com/) (heartily recommended for anyone in the Chicago area). Or, for that matter, huge swathes of the first Girls Aloud (http://www.girlsaloud.co.uk/site.php) album.

I'm immediately suspicious that anyone who says they don't like "contemporary music" really hasn't listened to much music being made right now. It's such a huge arena with such a huge range, it's a bit like saying you don't like "contemporary literature" because you don't like James Patterson and Jilly Cooper but that's all you can find on the bookstall at JFK. The advantage of the recording industry is that people doing new things don't nullify that which came before them. You can have Deep Purple and Jamie Lidell (http://www.jamielidell.com/) in your collection. (Actually, let me rephrase that: you must have those two artists you your collection. This is not optional.)

Aruna, if you like acoustic guitars and folksy stuff, have you listened to Dar Williams (http://www.darwilliams.com/), Maria Taylor (http://www.saddle-creek.com/html/mariataylor_frame.html), I Am Kloot (http://www.iamkloot.com/), The Kings of Convenience (http://www.kingsofconvenience.com/) and Damien Rice (http://www.damienrice.com/)?

I can pretty much guarantee that, no matter what you like, someone is out there making it right now. That's the beauty of our culture having such a dense historical musical history to draw on -- there's probably someone out there drawing on it!

JustinThorne
04-02-2007, 02:38 PM
If we knew the answer, we'd be record label executives...

Nobody knows the answer.

There will be mainstream and there will be niche bands with cult followings... that's the only certainty.

aruna
04-02-2007, 02:40 PM
I have two Young Adults at home who listen to a lot of "new" stuff, and I am referring to that. Anything canned, anything loud and fast and crazy is a big no-no for me. Look, I'm allowed to think that way, I'm 55 and proud of it! I have to keep telling them to Turn Down the Volume!

On the whole, my musical taste is very limited... I like recalling the past, indeed, otherwise I really only like Indian music. I don't go out of my way to listen to music, as I am perfectly happy with what I already know and love... yes, call me narrow-minded! And no, I dont know the performers you mentioned.

McDuff
04-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Actually, ask the teens. the new word out there is "Unsigned". I'll elaborate on it a little more soon but the youtube crowd is exploding before our eyes and the corporations are not recognizing it. Will they discover it before it is too late?

Keep an eye on "Open Mic" nights and coffee houses. Labels will never disappear but the youngsters are tired of being told what to listen to. Rap was a contributer of the dissatisfation.

Myspace is the current launching pad. youtube is the vessel.
Before you get too excited, take a step back and ask yourself: why isn't this the same as POD in the literary world?

There's a lot of developments in the world of music that mean it's much easier for a band to record some good stuff than it was twenty years ago. But this also means that it's much easier for a band to record some mediocre shite, too. All the bands in the world want to be your friend on MySpace. There's plenty who "friend" me who I go and listen to and say "yeah, that's OK" and yet never give them a single brass washer of cash. New technologies will alter the way that music reaches people, but you're never going to get rid of a structure of music professionals to part punters with their coppers, even if this structure gets pruned or redeployed to cope with the technology.

Also, people, in all seriousness: you are not the target market for Hip-Hop, garage, or any of the other types of music you're lumping into "rap," which is a style of vocalisation and not a genre. And it's so, so not dead. That's almost as silly as saying "singing is dead". Hip-Hop, the primary vehicle for decent rap artists (IMO) is still very much alive, kicking, and evolving.

McDuff
04-02-2007, 02:52 PM
I didn't say you weren't "allowed" to be that way, Aruna. I was more just pointing out that there's more to the current crop of music than you may have heard, including some artists that you might really like. I didn't link to them to say "OMG your soooo uneducated", it was more a "check out this cool stuff" thing. You might also like Lamb (http://www.lamb.tv/home.html), although you might not, but coming home with a Lamb album would definitely score you total cooler-than-thou points with your Young Adults if you're into that kind of thing ;).

Did you follow George Harrison's post-Beatles career at all? He was the one who brought the Indian influence into the Beatles in the first place, and his musical progression reflects that. It's not all great, but if you weren't following him after the Beatles you might want to listen to some of his stuff and see if it appeals.

aruna
04-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Did you follow George Harrison's post-Beatles career at all? He was the one who brought the Indian influence into the Beatles in the first place, and his musical progression reflects that. It's not all great, but if you weren't following him after the Beatles you might want to listen to some of his stuff and see if it appeals.

No offence taken! I am sure there's a lot of stuff I would like, but I;m just to lazy to check it out - just when I come across something by accident, I'm hooked.
No I didn't follow George's career, not Bob Dylan's, nor so many of my favourites from back then. Right now I could listen to Krishna Das without cease.

pconsidine
04-02-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm kinda with arms. There is no "next" until we change how we think about where we get our music. MySpace is actually a decent route, if you think about it. But it does require some legwork. No one is going to weed through the piles of crap and hand you a pile of good stuff. Any attempt to do so would be just recreating the same broken distribution system we currently have. The sad part is that in order for a performer to really become a household name, it still requires the big label marketing and distribution systems.

So how is it different from POD in the publishing field? It isn't, really. There's just as much crap in self-distributed music as there is in self-published books (believe me - I've had to review some of it). On the upside, it's usually easier to tell real quick if a performer is crap or not and not have to read a chapter or two before you throw in the towel.

pconsidine
04-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Actually, I had another thought:

Pandora.com. (http://www.pandora.com)

That is the perfect music distribution system. As long as the means for getting music on the site and the people who evaluate it remain relatively untainted, it will be an incredible way to get exposed to new bands that you might not otherwise have heard.

rtilryarms
04-04-2007, 05:24 AM
Actually, I had another thought:

Pandora.com. (http://www.pandora.com)

That is the perfect music distribution system. As long as the means for getting music on the site and the people who evaluate it remain relatively untainted, it will be an incredible way to get exposed to new bands that you might not otherwise have heard.

That is a great find. Thanks.

pconsidine
04-04-2007, 05:44 AM
I'm a Pandora evangelist. I'm convinced it's the greatest thing in music since the pentatonic scale.

pink lily
04-05-2007, 02:06 AM
I know a rapper who is specializing in hip-hop targeted toward the booming atheist/nonbelief market. His name is Greydon Square (http://myspace.com/greydonsquare) and his soon-to-be-released album is The Compton Effect (http://thecomptoneffect.com/). I've heard of at least half a dozen performers who are focusing on this subculture.

I don't know if "atheist hip-hop" is the next music for everyone, but it certainly has become the next new thing for people in my peer group.

Mud Dauber
04-05-2007, 04:09 AM
I'm a Pandora evangelist. I'm convinced it's the greatest thing in music since the pentatonic scale.
LOL I agree... it's a great way to hear about new artists.:Thumbs:

DreamWorks
04-07-2007, 12:48 AM
I can't stand contemporary music. I am very nostalgic for music of the early 70's, 60's, and even earlier, so was very happy when Norah Jones burst on the scene.
Recently I discovered a young German songwriter/singer I love; Synje Norland. She lived in Canada and sings in English. You can hear samples of her songs here (http://www.myspace.com/synjenorland). My favourites are The One and Tried So Hard. She's reminiscent of Joni Mitchell. I'd love a comeback of more touchy-feelly music like this. Bring back the acoustic guitar!.

Thank u 4 introducing me to this fabulous young artist!!

Does everyone know terra naomi? Youtubes biggest music star?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXlhFlHR8A

I love this video, and her voice - although my dad seems to think it's 'derivative'

what do u think? SO many voices these days seem to sound exactly the same to me, though

Luke flees the scene
04-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Alternative has run down.

What is next? What will be the next big music direction, what all the kids will be listening to in 5 years?

I'm hoping rock will become dominant over hip-hop again, cuase I really... really hate hip-hop. How can you even call it music? But of course, this is just my opinion. I'd love to see hardcore get big someday.

I was just at a show last nite. From Autumn to Ashes, Haste the Day, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, The Sleeping, and Alesana. It was so kickass. Even if it's not hardcore, I really hope that the record companies get their heads out of their asses and we start getting some good music on the radio, or at least more variety.

pink lily
04-08-2007, 09:43 PM
I remember back in the 1980s when rap and hip-hop were new genres of music, and some people felt that the style was a flash in the pan. Look how it's blossomed. I'm surprised that people still think that its popularity will fade.

Luke flees the scene
04-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I remember back in the 1980s when rap and hip-hop were new genres of music, and some people felt that the style was a flash in the pan. Look how it's blossomed. I'm surprised that people still think that its popularity will fade.

Is there really that much musical talent involved in making hip-hop music? I mean, if you're one of those really fast rappers, then that would take some vocal talent, but seriously.

pink lily
04-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Is there really that much musical talent involved in making hip-hop music? I mean, if you're one of those really fast rappers, then that would take some vocal talent, but seriously.
I could say the same thing about Country & Western, a genre that seems boring, trite, overdone, and stale to me. But to answer your question, yes. From Run-D.M.C to De La Soul to Eminem, Nas, and Jay-Z, talent is required, and is apparent.

Obviously, not all genres appeal to all people. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

But let's not derail the thread. I'm interested in hearing more ideas about "the next new music."

MattW
04-09-2007, 01:51 AM
How can people continue to complain that hip-hop sucks when bands like Panic at the Disco are what pass for mainstream rock?

Please, clean up your own house first.

III
04-13-2007, 11:30 PM
I think the Screamer bands will probably be the next wave of co-opted music. Like the pure genre of Thrash Metal from the early 80's was co-opted and merged with the LA Glam-Rock genre to become commercially viable and dominant, I think the suits at the record companies will find a way to co-opt the Screamer sub-culture and make it accessible. It's the same thing over and over - punk, metal, rap, grunge - whatever the subculture really loves, eventually it gets put on MTV and productionalized.

pconsidine
04-14-2007, 01:51 AM
You don't think we've kinda been there already? I'm thinking that a lot of the Limp Bizkit-era bands had a pretty similar sound. Not that I'm really up on either one to say for sure.

I figure it's pretty pointless to complain about record companies co-opting subcultures for the masses. For one thing, that's been going on for decades. It just is what it is. And even more to the point, it takes two to tango. If the subculture's favorite band didn't sign the deal, the "suits" would have no one to work with. There's plenty of blame to go around on that one.

III
04-20-2007, 07:27 PM
There's plenty of blame to go around on that one.

I think I'm just upset that I'm too old to be ahead of the hipness curve anymore. I used to pride myself in liking bands before anyone else found out about them and they became popular, but now I more often find myself thinking "this music is just noise!"

I went to a Red Hot Chilli Peppers concert not too long ago and sat in my box suite, looking at the mosh pit and thinking "Thank God I no longer feel compelled to go into that thing!!!"

pconsidine
04-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Music has become a very different thing for me now that I'm out of my Angry Youth phase. It really seems like most of the music industry is geared towards 14 year old boys, even though there are plenty of guys in their 30s who still happily dump loads of cash on music.

And even though I've given up on being hip, I still pride in the fact that what I like shows a great deal of musicianship. Other people might not like it, but there's no way they can honestly say it's crap.

Joe270
04-24-2007, 11:17 AM
The music of the future coming from a teen's standpoint (though I don't speak for all teens) is Alternative Rock & Screamo. I listen to lots of Fall Out Boy, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Yellow Card, Panic! At The Disco, The All-American Rejects, and The Fray.

Here's the next wave, Writer is dead on here ('cept for the screamers part). I'm fifty, grew up with rock and roll. I remember my father turning off the radio (tuned to WQAM, miami) because the Beatles 'I wanna hold your hand' was satanic.

My daughter felt left out of school dances, etc., because she thought rap sucked. Now Fall Out Boy comes out, the Fray, Hinder. Now her schoolmates think she's the encyclopedia of rock.

This is really good rock and roll. Give this stuff a listen. Yes, some are dogs, but classic rock stations leave out all the dogs we had to listen to, also.

And if you're a Pink Floyd fan, try Blue October. Wow. Love it.

I don't care if it's Dylan, Joplin, Seegar, Springsteen, Stones, Who, U2, or Dashboard Confessional, give me rock and roll music. I'm sick of the oldies and want something new that rocks.

Rock on, III, go Spurs go. I smell a ring.

akiwiguy
04-24-2007, 03:17 PM
I went to a Red Hot Chilli Peppers concert not too long ago and sat in my box suite, looking at the mosh pit and thinking "Thank God I no longer feel compelled to go into that thing!!!"

Ha ha, I had to smile because I went to the Chilis on Saturday, floor tickets, and I was amazed we ended right up right at the front (I was directly under John Frusciante's favourite spot). Anyway, I kind of had a nagging "Hell man, you're 50... is this the most sensible thing to be doing?" question mark in my mind. And I'll tell you I just absolutely loved it. Thank God for security guys spraying water on us though, I was roasting after half an hour.

Mind you III (sorry haven't caught up with real names yet) they've basically done away with the Chili Bowl and although the concert really went off and was pretty well a non-stop rage, the security guys were pretty well onto guys who looked as though they could be about to hurt people (mainly drunks).

To be honest I could never quite get my head aroung moshing to the Chilis. Funk just doesn't seem like moshing material to me.

III
04-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Rock on, III, go Spurs go. I smell a ring.

I was at the game on Sunday and they looked more like the ring around a bathtub. It's gonna be a fistfight in the West, but still, I think the Spurs can pull it off. Go Spurs Go!

Joe270
04-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Ah, Denver's won game one before. Not worried. Now the Mav's got problems.

Sorry, I know it's off thread. But it's the play-offs.

MegaData
04-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Good songwriters should be listening to a wide range of styles, but try to keep the cover songs to a minimum, please!

pconsidine
04-25-2007, 02:16 AM
There was just a news item in the latest Entertainment Weekly that seemed to be hinting at a "college rock" revival. Citing the increasing sales of SubPop's stable of artists, the article's author seemed to think it might be a sign of a change in tastes of American youth.

Finally! Someone who agrees with me.

Lady Esther
05-05-2007, 06:54 AM
I love 60's music, and I heard Christina Aguilera's bringing 60's back.:snoopy: :snoopy:

Kiester
05-07-2007, 10:42 PM
People, People, I have one word to say...

Indie.

C.bronco
05-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Psychedelic Polka is the next big thing.

pconsidine
05-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Are you sure? Cause I was pretty sure it was acid trance klezmer.