What is the NEXT music?

write4details

Banned
Reaction score
Rap will not last much longer. (AMAZING it's gone this long)
Alternative has run down.

What is next? What will be the next big music direction, what all the kids will be listening to in 5 years?

What will it be like? Primitive, synthetic, tribal, rural, geeky?

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
write4details said:
Rap will not last much longer. (AMAZING it's gone this long)

Gosh! I hope so. I'm not a fan of rap music. But I think it'll still be around for a long time. There still is a big audience for it. And as long as the record companies keep making money from it, it'll still be around (unfortunately).

Not sure what'll be next. I'll have to give that some more thought. I'll be seeing some musicians later today. I'll ask them what they think.

celeste

Last edited:

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully the music producers will wake up, and start promoting more artists who are willing to make good albums, rather than one "good" song (which is debatable), on a full album of crap. And maybe they'll realize that you don't have to put out a new album every year, but a -good- album every few years will make more money (because they can get several singles from it, and it will continue to sell well).

I know alot of people snicker behind their hands at me, because I'm an incurable Rammstein fangrrrlll. But it's not just because the lead singer is incredibly HAWT (well to me, anyway), but I have listened to every album they've put out. They've been popular in Europe for over 10 years, and they haven't put out a single bad album. Every last one of them was good all the way through. Some better than others, but no duds. They also put on DAMN good shows. They don't lipsynch, either. They write their own music, and play their own instruments.

Now, for most bands, singing in anything but English is death to their careers. Especially if they want to appeal to an international audiance. But Rammstein sings in German, almost exclusively, and there are -alot- of people in the US who like them, as well as all over the world. American record producers would do well to pay attention to that, instead of pushing the next Britteny Spears sound-alike.

Now, their music might not be to your liking, but the fact that they are that popular, and well recieved (most places)* is impressive. There aren't any artists, or groups in the US that can make that claim anymore. At least none who get any airplay.

I've gotten to the point I don't listen to the radio because of it.

*Clarification: Rammstein is an aquired taste, and it's not the American ticket-buyers who don't want them here, but the "officials", ever since the lead singer was escourted off stage in Maryland for his performance of "Buck Dich". Let's just say, this is not exactly a show you'd let your 13 y/o go see. But too many people freak out when they see the translations to their lyrics, and take them too serious. They don't even take themselves that seriously! :ROFL:

(if you're not familiar with them, you can find out more about them here, along with the translations to the lyrics...warning: Do not read if you're easily offended)

Ella

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sumptuosity.blogspot.com
The 80's is coming back, with a harder sound. Just in time to coincide with the new 80's fashion.

I'd like to see more funk and disco, as from the 70's. I can't ever see the Du-Wop and Beach Boy's style being remade, but you never know. THAT would be a hoot.

Reaction score
I think I have to agree with Ella on this one. Decades usually seem to come back in style after 20-25 yrs. Unfortunate, but true. And I hate Spandex.
:-(

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
amidsummerswrite said:
I think I have to agree with Ella on this one. Decades usually seem to come back in style after 20-25 yrs. Unfortunate, but true. And I hate Spandex.
:-(

Very true. Even with fashion. It goes round and round repeating itself, only with a more modern twist added. Ya' know what I'm sayin'?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Polka.jpg

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
does it really matter what the NEXT music is?

is it really signifigant? your still going to have to wade through all the **** that these executives will inevitably put out in waves to find the real stuff.

when i think, very few good bands come to mind that are at their peak. the white stripes, the black keys.
the rest, you just have to go through the archives and listen to the older stuff.

the best lyrics is in most of the older stuff as well, dylan, guthrie, robert johnson.

the NEXT music will probably be murder of some form of music. the music industry has murdered rock music, rap, reggae, pop and r&b... excuse me, but have ANY of these "R&B" artists actually heard R&B?! rythm and blues. it was one of the key rolls in birthing rock and roll, and R&B came from the blues and jazz. is there ANY of that in what they now call R&B?

hah!

Reaction score
Nah,

R&B stations definitely aren't what they used to be. But then again, neither is rock or country. All things develop, and lots seem to get watered down. As you pointed our though, there are some good things that still get out there(The White Stripes)

write4details

Banned
Reaction score
When things are watered down and losing power across the board...there is probably something new about to happen. It doesn't come out of nowhere, it slowly builds up in obscure places, then starts popping up and pretty soon it's hip, and then everybody is into it.

Many times in the past, it came from Black communities. (Not always...punk, acid rock, "alternative" and grunge, etc.) I think it's unlikely that will be where the next wave comes from. Maybe from the new biggest minority...Hispanics. There have been some odd things there in recent years. "Nortec" is a blend of techno with "norteno"...**** kicker polka music with a lot of songs about narcotics trade.

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
amidsummerswrite said:
there are some good things that still get out there(The White Stripes)

Ahhh, yes! Another GREAT Detroit band -- The White Stripes! Speaking of...

I had plans to go to the next White Stripes show w/ someone, but that fell through. Wanna' go? Lol...

Reaction score
Really? When? Not sure if I'd be able to...I told ya about my significant other in a PM, remember? But I could try!!!

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
amidsummerswrite said:
Really? When? Not sure if I'd be able to...I told ya about my significant other in a PM, remember? But I could try!!!

Yeah, I remember. ;)

I've been asking around, trying to find out when they'll be in town. Not known yet, but they've gotta' play somewhere in the Detroit area some time this summer. And when they do, I'm there! Definitely! If I find out of any shows, I'll let you know...

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
My sometimes off topic (from the question) musical thoughts..lol..

write4details said:
Rap will not last much longer. (AMAZING it's gone this long)Alternative has run down.What is next? What will be the next big music direction, what all the kids will be listening to in 5 years?

What will it be like? Primitive, synthetic, tribal, rural, geeky?

Too bad rap couldn't be re-worked and turned in to true R&B. Just for the record I like rap very little and would like to see that slice of music turned into real music - not just music that talks about gangsters & look at my hoes & retarded looking gold teeth..hahah....ok that's a rant that may or may not go with this thread.

Ok, one more quick music rant, please come on you know you want to hear it..haha..

What is the deal with that "new" music that they "call" heavy-metal? I used to know what heavy metal was (you know like Black Sabbath), at least I thought I did until they came up with what I call scream like you're possessed heavy-metal. I can't stand that crap!! If you can scream like an evil man through the whole "song" it isn't singing...damn it!

LOL..

The next genre of music? Wow, that really is an excellent question, one that has had me racking my mind for days cause I love music and I should know this answer! That's when you know you like music way too much...

I think there will be some brand-new genre, one that has yet to be named or discovered.

I wish I could predict musically what the future holds..I'm thinking tribal beats will be blended in to the music scheme more, because really it's the only thing that I feel hasn't been done already (except for maybe Godsmack). Hopefully it will be rock - make that a new level of pure hard-rock (free of screams, please). Rock is really the only kind of music that hasn't dissolved over the years...

How about Tribal Rock?! I can also see trance music becoming the new thing.

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Renee said:
What is the deal with that "new" music that they "call" heavy-metal? I used to know what heavy metal was (you know like Black Sabbath), at least I thought I did until they came up with what I call scream like you're possessed heavy-metal. I can't stand that crap!! If you can scream like an evil man through the whole "song" it isn't singing...damn it!

How about Tribal Rock?! I can also see trance music becoming the new thing.

Ugh! I know what you mean about all the screaming heavy metal. It drives me insane! Now, Black Sabbath is some good stuff!

And I must say... "Tribal Rock", interesting! Hmm....

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Tribal Rock!

Celeste said:
Ugh! I know what you mean about all the screaming heavy metal. It drives me insane! Now, Black Sabbath is some good stuff!

And I must say... "Tribal Rock", interesting! Hmm....

I thought it was just me! I don't see why they call is heavy-metal because that screaming crap isn't the definition, to me, of what music was when the phrase was coined. It's almost like they think the louder they scream the heavier it just has to be - not! That scream metal needs to find it's own little genre so that true heavy-metal can stay in it's own slot. Then again, some of the old metal that I like will soon be called classic rock?! WTF...that's when you start feelin' old..sigh..

Black Sabbath = awesome! The new bands would do better trying to go with with what I call the metal formula. Or make their very own genre, rather than messing up the definition of metal.

And the worst part of it all is that it's Ozzy bringing in the scream metal. As well as he performs live you would think he'd have a true ear for music..maybe he just doesn't want a band good enough (one that sings and doesn't scream) to replace his badazz music? HAHA...

Tribal Rock - remember you head it here first! lmfao..

Oh I know! I can go have that phrase registered to me like others have done that's hot or you're fired. Right! ;)Or maybe the phrase: thank you, or it's Monday! lmfao..those silly people...

Last edited:

DirtySyko

Registered
Reaction score
Rap isn't exactly what's "popular" right now anyways, but don't get your hopes up about rap ever dying... It's been around for a long time, why would it suddenly leave? Are we forgetting Public Enemy, NWA, Beastie Boys, or Run DMC? I'm a fan of old rap, it's this new rap that is making the rap industry look like a bunch of ignorant jackasses... But that's what happens to all genres of music.

Look at punk rock. Punk music in the 70s and 80s used to be about striking out against the government, anarchy, and songs about rebellion. While I don't like that style of music very much, I do respect the work bands like Sex Pistols put into their music, and at least they had SOMETHING to say... Now punk rock music has become watered down, less frantic, and they have nothing of importance to preach. Infact they've become known as "Emo" music, which means emotional. Emo is probably my least favorite genre. Any genre who claims they sing emotional music needs a slap to the face, because it implies nothing else is emotional. The Beatles, The Who, Eric Clapton, CCR, and hell, even Guns n Roses, put more EMOTION into their music than these new mainstream bands like The Used, The Bled, My Chemical Romance, Good Charlotte, and Linkin Park.

The irony of music now is this:

Old punk rock used to be hardcore, screaming, cussing, lashing out against society... Modern punk rock is the complete opposite.

Old heavy metal used to be more meaningful, less screams, and less electronic sounds. Modern heavy metal is the complete opposite.

It seems that music genres have went from one extreme to another. I can't very well say what might come next, but I'm guessing in the next 5 years popular music will be similiar to the Punk/Emo music you hear now. I'll always have my 60s, 70s, and 80s music anyways, so I don't really care.

I might be 19, but at least I know good music ;)

Reaction score
Website
www.fast-rewind.com
I think fusion is always a good idea. People can open themselves to other forms of music and still enjoy the stuff they like at the same time. For example, I like freestyle music along the lines of 80s artists like Expose, Alisha and Sweet Sensation. On the other hand, I like the industial music of groups like Ministry and the Revolting Cocks...Basically anything involving Al Jourgenson, everybody's favorite heroin-addled walking freak-out.

I think a combination of freestyle and industrial could really give the music industry (or at least the dance music industry) a real kick. Dance music needs it right now. I've read that they're starting to play more gay-bashing rap in gay dance clubs and I think industrial freestyle could really mix things up.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

P.S,

I wouldn't know how to improve the rock music industry. Modern rock isn't really my thing.

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
the sex pistols... now they were a band, so..... invigorating.
johnny rottens a sell out now. hmm, ironic?
the clash were even better though.
punk seems to be so different for each artist.
sex pistols
clash
ramones
patti smith..

honest to god, i'm afraid the 'next' music might be something i'm like.
if i hear blues or folk on any pop music station... oh man... i'll be rightly pissed.

because no matter waht they start off with, they try add a twist to it so it won't be the same as the old stuff. but blues and folk. no you can't change those. the music comes from the musicians, NOT any company executives.

and if blues or folk does become popular, well, we'll just need to remind them that blues and folk is where odern music came from. rap even came from those.

*sigh* just... turn off your radio.

JPSpideyCJ

Registered
Reaction score
Rave music is highly popular now, and I think it will last for a long long time.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel we are heading back to Rock-- Advertising I feel is promoting this more into their ads.
But as I always have a lot of teens around I hear them listening to Zepplin, Lynard, Moody Blues, Hendrix, JA and so forth... They are buying old records and so forth-
This of course is my own opinion as I jump from classical, rock, rap, country, anything--

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
There's no "next" style. I mean, god knows nobody'd ever think of doing that old crap like blues, or jazz, or country, or folk, or Baroque, or...

Polka? Oh, yes. Check out Brave Combo.

I'm from Minneapolis. I'm constantly surprised how often the stuff we though was old hat a decade ago suddenly catches fire -- absolutely everyone with a guitar did Irish in the 1980s, worldbeat in the early 1990s.

(I have no personal preferences except that it be good, so I listen to Primus, Filter, Fatboy Slim, Tool, Black Sabbath, Shriekback, Depeche Mode, Marty Robbins...)

Trends are, most times, a matter of hype. Almost all of the "styles" of recent dance music are nonsense, artificial categorisations stemming from gratutious pigeonholing & one-upmanship. I actually listened to one kid whine about how he reallyREALLY needed to know whether a given tune was IDM or jungle "because I can't stand IDM & I looooove jungle!" Criminies -- would Kiss sound like Kiss if they dressed like Lynyrd Skynyrd...?