PDA

View Full Version : Queries

JMTJ
11-15-2008, 07:26 AM
I have sent queries out to many agents in the past couple of days. Today I ran into a comment on one agents website asking for the author to let them know if they have queried other agents. Up to this point I have not done so.
What is the point of giving out that information?
If we only queried on agent at a time, it could take years to be accepted.

Thanks

C.bronco
11-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Very few agents ask for exclusives, in other words, a period of time to consider your work while you vow that no other agents are looking at it, which makes little to no sense for the author.

Others just may be curious about which target group of agents they falll into.

Colleges do the same thing on their applications. It helps them get a sense of where they lie in prestige, and who their biggest competitors may be.

elroy
11-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Maybe I'm just sneaky, but I feel like there's no harm in not answering the question. If they insist, which has never happened to me, then you can still just lie. I really doubt these agents are all conferring with each other to see who submitted to whom.

scope
11-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Agents assume that writers are sending queries to other agents when looking for representation. I have no idea why this agent is asking for an exclusive query, but it's not something I would honor. However, if you want to submit to her I wouldn't start what could become a relationship with a lie. Just submit and tell her why you can't grant an exclusive. If she balks at the concept and refuses your work, so be it.

scarletpeaches
11-16-2008, 01:31 AM
An exclusive partial or full I would consider, but an exclusive query? My initial reaction is "Bugger off, your time's no more valuable than mine!"

As you said, it could take years if you only queried one agent at a time.

victoriastrauss
11-16-2008, 01:44 AM
I would just ignore that request. I can see why an agent might want to know--to judge the competition, to see how many rejections you'd gotten to date--but none of them are of benefit to you. You've no obligation whatever to disclose which other agents you've queried.

- Victoria

HarrisLiteraryscamsu
11-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Your business is yours. Once youíre signed, itís a partnership, and everythingís on the table. http://ronsandersatwork.com

JMTJ
11-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Thank you for all of your replies. I appreciate the help. This particular agent is on top of my list of 'way too many'. I am hoping to be asked for a partial or full. Time will tell.