What's your favorite Writer's Conference and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChessSafari

Don't Ever Quit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twchesssafari.blogspot.com
I'm thinking about attending my first two writers' conferences in 2009: Whidbey Island and Willamette Valley.

I'm willing to travel, so I'm intersted in knowing what are the best conferences and a few reasons why they are superior.

I apologize if this info is already in another thread and I missed it. If so, please post the link and I'll go away happy.

Thanks.

Wen-2

Registered
Reaction score
San Diego Writer's Conference? Ouch! It was my first...and last.

justsomeguy

Registered
Reaction score
San Diego Writer's Conference? Ouch! It was my first...and last.

I've been considering signing up to attend the conference in San Diego.

I'd sure appreciate it if you could expand on what it was there that turned you off such conferences for good.

Either way, thanks.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Squaw Valley.

You have to apply to get in, so those attending are fairly serious about their work, even though the environment is incredibly laid back and relaxed.

And the alumni/faculty is incredible--Amy Tan, Michael Chabon, Richard Ford, Alice Sebold, Janet Fitch, Anthony Swofford, Karen Joy Fowler, Anne Lamott, Joshua Ferris, etc.

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score
San Diego Writers Conferences and More

There are at least three--San Diego State Writers Conf.; Southern California Writers Conference; La Jolla Writers Conference. I have been to all three. Each has its own opportunities and drawbacks. PM me if you are seriously thinking of any and I'll share what I know. I've been to each more than once, so that tells you none is half bad, just different for different stages and needs on this writing journey.

I've been to Maui and Squaw Valley too and agree with the post about SV, but not Maui. Well, on second thought, it used to (when it was on Maui) have the best location of the bunch. g

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
There has been some good info and input in this discussion so far. I'm moving it to Roundtable where there's a higher chance of others chiming in as well.

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
Held in New Orleans in March, master classes, low prices huge names and....Mint Juleps in the courtyards at the book signings. The Tennessee Williams Literary Festival Absolutely- the best in my book ( tongue in cheek)
http://www.tennesseewilliams.net/

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I went to a week long writers' retreat in Saratoga Springs upstate NY with International Women's Writing Guild--IWWG--and that was a life changer.

Tanya Egan Gibson

Registered
Reaction score
Squaw Valley.

You have to apply to get in, so those attending are fairly serious about their work, even though the environment is incredibly laid back and relaxed.

And the alumni/faculty is incredible--Amy Tan, Michael Chabon, Richard Ford, Alice Sebold, Janet Fitch, Anthony Swofford, Karen Joy Fowler, Anne Lamott, Joshua Ferris, etc.

I agree wholeheartedly. Attending Squaw (4 times) was magical -- a week of submersion into community where everyone deeply believes that books (and those who write them) are cool, and that writing matters.

Alessia Brio

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessiabrio.com
I highly recommend the La Jolla Writers Conference. I've attended the past three years -- and will continue to attend. It gets first dibs on my conference budget, because I get so much out of it. From networking with some seriously big names in the business to in-depth critique of craft to promotion wisdom. Money well spent, and the energy I bring home inspires me for the year ahead.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
My favorite conference, hands down, is the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers Colorado Gold conference. It's always in the fall, usually the 2nd or 3rd weekend in September, and it covers all commercial fiction genres. I haven't missed a conference in 15 years.

Besides the pitch appointments, one of my favorite aspects of this conference is the critique workshops on Friday afternoon. You sign up with the editor or agent of your choice and a month before the conference, you mail in the first ten pages of your manuscript that the agent or editor reads in advance and then offers feedback during the workshop. The workshops are limited to only 8 participants each, so you get lots of personal time with the agent or editor you chose. This alone makes it the best conference ever.

Julianne Douglas

Registered
Reaction score
I'll third--fourth?--the recommendation for Squaw Valley, and add the Historical Novel Society Conference if historical fiction is your thing.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Boo hoo! My favorite conference is one that I don't be able to go to. There is a pet writers' conference coming up in New York in Feb. and it's totally tailor-made for me. DH is supportive if I want to go, but I just can't justify putting out the money right now. Guess I'll have to stick to the Florida Writers Association conference because that's within driving distance, but I wish they had more of a non-fiction focus. N/F always seems to get the shaft conference-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.