PDA

View Full Version : Kyle XY

JoNightshade
11-15-2008, 05:38 AM
Does anyone else watch this show? I just started watching the first season on DVD and I'm addicted. (So no spoilers please!)

It's funny because I'll readily admit this is not the best show in the world. First of all, it's too "teenagerish" for me, but of course I'm sure that's the demographic they're aiming at. Also, some of the episodes are just downright embarrassing because they're so sexually frank. And I would never recommend parents let their kids watch it because of the way sexual activity is treated. For instance, the teenage daughter works all summer to lose her virginity to this jerk and is finally manipulated into it by her friend. For a time she's disappointed and angry, but then she goes back to being friends with this girl who treated her like dirt, and she even tells the boy who pressured her into having sex that he doesn't need to apologize. Excuse me? No. If someone treats you like crap, the lesson is not "I need to be less judgmental." It's "I need to pick better friends."

But... the main story is the reason I'm addicted. I love Kyle, and I love his relationship with his foster mom. I also love how the show, simply by placing Kyle next to the other teenagers, is able to reveal how petty and small most of our daily conflicts are. For all the smarminess, every once in a while there is a scene that just gets to me. Such as when Kyle tries to make friends with the class reject/geek, and the guy is so jaded and convinced nobody would like him that he initially pushes him away. I love Kyle's naive and yet truthful conclusions about life.

Actually this show reminds me a lot of what it's like to live around someone who is mentally "simple." Just having someone to ask those basic, obvious questions like "Why do you lie?" really puts life into perspective. And because it's so easy to hurt that person, everyone becomes more honest and careful with one another.

And yes, Kyle is so adorable I want to hug and squeeze him forever. :)

Inkyhoof
11-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I used to watch this, but I sort of stopped halfway through Season 2.

Kyle's relationship with his foster Mum really is great - same goes for his Dad. And I love the way his foster siblings learn to accept him over time, and how they just end up growing closer and closer to each other.

Besides, I found the entire idea of this show pretty interesting - I mean, developing test tube babies in man-made wombs, and the whole theory that the longer the kid stays in the womb the more developed their brain is... really cool. That's Einsteins' theory, right?

Oh, and the drawing is great too. Interesting technique; sort of reminds me of pointilist, but mixed up with hyper-realism.

Zoombie
11-17-2008, 01:38 PM
So, its animated?

Hmm...sounds kinda...eh. I dunnkow, I think I'm not in the demographic.

But, hey, I said the same thing about Exo-Squad! I said, "I'm no longer six...and this IS a Saturday morning cartoon show for six year olds and up" But then the show had the holocaust and space nazis.

Which MAY have been why it only ran for a season or so...

So, yeah...what channel is this on?

Inkyhoof
11-18-2008, 02:52 AM
Kyle XY is not animated, no.

ABC, I think, though I'm not sure. Considering it's not on TV here where I live at all, I just watch it on the Internet.

katiemac
11-18-2008, 03:02 AM
I believe it was ABC Family.

JoNightshade
11-18-2008, 03:21 AM
GAH! Thanks for spoiling the suspense of season one for me.

Zoombie
11-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Kyle XY is not animated, no.

Oh, and the drawing is great too. Interesting technique; sort of reminds me of pointilist, but mixed up with hyper-realism.

Confused.

Inkyhoof
11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
...I spoiled the season for you? How?

JoNightshade
11-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Besides, I found the entire idea of this show pretty interesting - I mean, developing test tube babies in man-made wombs, and the whole theory that the longer the kid stays in the womb the more developed their brain is... really cool. That's Einsteins' theory, right?

Perhaps it escaped your memory that this isn't revealed until... well, I don't know, because I'm at episode ten or so and I'm still not supposed to know what Kyle is.

Inkyhoof
11-19-2008, 09:25 PM
...oh.

Oh, God, I'm so sorry, I didn't realise...:eek:

I'm really, really sorry. Shutting up now.

Barber
11-19-2008, 09:41 PM
They don't reveal that right away? Weird. I've never even seen the show and I knew what he was.

Hearing your take on the show makes me want to watch it. It sounds like a cute idea.