Ever have trouble making yourself stop writing?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'm forcing myself to step on the brakes tonight because I need to get other things done like grocery shopping, laundry, music practice (which I've neglected because of NaNo). etc. Still, I get the itch to write just one more sentence. I never thought I'd have this problem, but there you go.

So, does anyone else have trouble stopping themselves long enough to keep other parts of life in order?

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
It happens. I said in another post that I was a spurter-- well when the spurts come, they are like an unquenchable itch and I have to write until it all gets out. My life is "hurry up and wait."

Captain Howdy

closer + prettier than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Never. My rule is 60 minutes or 1000 words, whichever comes first. Today I was on a role and actually hit 1,667 before the timer rang, but that was an exception. I will be so happy to be done with this piece of crap!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'm a plodder. The problem is that now I'm plodding at 2.5-3K words a day. Before this NaNo insanity, I considered 500 words a good day for me.

My brain is already whispering, "If you write only 300 more words today, you'll hit 3K!"

I WILL get my errands done first!

Last edited:

Elidibus

Over 9000!!!!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
No. I can't come out to play. My muse won't let me
All the time. It's like...All these ideas just coming out of no where. All kinds of stories swirling around in my head so I have to write them all down so that i can actually relax! I just have to keep doing it. But I force myself to stop, lest I burn myself out. I tell myself it's for the better.

But what's really sucks is not doing any writing at all. I wake up and have to go to work in two hours. The pain of not writing isn't as bad as the pain of getting to an awesome part, only to force yourself away, though. Now, that sucks!

I have to wait until 10 tomorrow evening to write. I have a sad face now...See? :-(

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I let my assistant, unconsciousness, decide when we should stop writing.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Err... no. The rest of my life is always a mess, so no change there! :ROFL:

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I'm normally a plodder and a very sequential writer, working from a detailed outline (that sometimes leads me to where I want to go, other times not). I would normally write something around 2K words to get a start on the next day's quota, but there are days when the subject is too engrossing, my characters obey my whip and the words flow.

Today was once such day. We awoke at a RV resort on the last day of a 14-day trip (visiting friends) and needed to leave by 9:00 or so. I was engrossed in the second of two scenes and totally lost track of time. Result, we left at about 9:00 but I was not happy leaving the last scene unfinished.

I finished it as soon as we arrived home. Almost 5K words today, 45K total with another 15-20K to go. And NaNo is only half over.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
When I start, I want to get going, but it's all very concentrated. Three to four hours at most, then I must switch to something else, even if it's browsing a forum like here.

Reaction score
If I'm on a roll I see no reason to stop. It's not like I have a family to look after or any other major responsibilities so my free time is my own.

I've often stayed up so late writing that I'm knackered the next day, though. I never learn. Still, if I'm in the zone, why ignore it? I can sleep another time.

Revelationz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Re

All the time! Most people on here say they have a writing schedule where they sit down and write at a certain time for so long and quit. I, however, write in the moment. I never know when Im going to start, and I never know when Im going to stop. I just know that nearly every day I must write. And, if I get in THAT zone, I don't stop and don't want to.

Rather odd for a person who prefers an outline, wouldn't you say? ;)