General Goals: What's Yours?

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
CatMuse's thread got me to thinking: what kind of general writing goals do you set for yourself each year? This year I had two: to get a book contract and to have an article on the newsstand every month. I've come pretty close to the second one (although it's been niche publications like The Writer, Bird Talk, Animal Wellness and Twins rather than biggies like Good Housekeeping), and I'm waiting anxiously for confirmation of the first one...I sent the signed contact back last week, but I won't believe it's real till I have a countersigned copy in my hot little hands.

Next year's goals are to get an agent and get another book contract. Hubby and I have agreed that we'll take a special cruise if I get two contracts by 2010. I also would like to have five regular magazine markets by the end of the year (just lost one...ugh!).

I might add getting a self-help article into a national publication as another goal...just not sure which ones to aim for.

I know it's a little early, but what are the rest of you thinking? And how do you use your goals to help you stay on track? I like to work mine into daily affirmations as well as joining JHS for some accountability.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
CatMuse's thread got me to thinking: what kind of general writing goals do you set for yourself each year? This year I had two: to get a book contract and to have an article on the newsstand every month. I've come pretty close to the second one (although it's been niche publications like The Writer, Bird Talk, Animal Wellness and Twins rather than biggies like Good Housekeeping), and I'm waiting anxiously for confirmation of the first one...I sent the signed contact back last week, but I won't believe it's real till I have a countersigned copy in my hot little hands.

Next year's goals are to get an agent and get another book contract. Hubby and I have agreed that we'll take a special cruise if I get two contracts by 2010. I also would like to have five regular magazine markets by the end of the year (just lost one...ugh!).

I might add getting a self-help article into a national publication as another goal...just not sure which ones to aim for.

I know it's a little early, but what are the rest of you thinking? And how do you use your goals to help you stay on track? I like to work mine into daily affirmations as well as joining JHS for some accountability.

Hey, hey, hey - back up the goal bus...book?? What book? Do tell.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I had general goals set out a long time ago:

Get a book published
Make a real living freelancing
Work for the New York Times.

I got the book done, and I'm living quite nice on my freelancing gigs, and now I just want to land that About.com job and all of my writing goals will have come true :)

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Hey, hey, hey - back up the goal bus...book?? What book? Do tell.
I didn't do an official happy dance yet 'cause I don't have official approval of my requested changes to the contract, but if all goes well it will be a career guide on what it takes to become a counselor. Should hit the shelves in June, 2009...woo hoo! When I get back the signed contract I'll be bouncing off the walls.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
General goals is definitely the way to describe it for me. Mine aren't too specific. My short term is to finish reading Jenna's bible. Then I can get to researching markets and all that fun stuff. In 2009, I'd like to start getting published with some freelance stuff, hopefully for pay although I am willing to start with unpaid stuff if that's what it takes to get started. I've got a novel that I want to finish revising to the point of starting the agent search.

As far as staying focused, I'm hoping that being involved in this group will inspire me and help me keep me on track. I've never written a query letter, but I'm going to learn how all this goes. I think writing down goals is really really important; if I write it down, it's more concrete to me.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to find somewhere that's good for a noob to write for. Been browsing the forums for a thread on it, ain't been finding much. I also want to make some more progress on my story outline.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Have you tried local and regional publications? Sending a pitch or letter of interest can open some doors. They don't pay as much as the nationals but it's still $$ and clips.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping to make enough by the end of January to stop drawing unemployment. I'd like to have a steady income of freelancing work by then. I don't want to go back to 9-5 work at all and definitely not in the newspaper business, which I feel is going downhill. I'm hoping to find a publisher for my young adult paranormal novel. I also hope to finish edits on my NaNo novel and find an agent and get it published. That's been my dream for a long time, but now, I actually have time to pursue it.

I guess the overall one is too not have to go back to the 9-5 again.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried local and regional publications? Sending a pitch or letter of interest can open some doors. They don't pay as much as the nationals but it's still $$ and clips.
I wouldn't mind doing that, problem is, I have no idea how to go about it. Do I just start browsing the phonebook?

"clips"?

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I wouldn't mind doing that, problem is, I have no idea how to go about it. Do I just start browsing the phonebook?

"clips"?
I've actually found most of the regionals I work with either by seeing them on the newsstand or via internet searches. Go to Books-A-Million or another big box store and spend an hour or two just pouring through the magazine racks. Depending on where you live, you might find regionals in other stores too (I live in a tourist area so I've run into them in many odd places). Craigslist is another source...check out the writing jobs section for your local area but beware because scams abound on CL. Writers Market has some regional listings too.

Clips are articles that have been sold and published. You can send a copy (or "clip") to other editors you are pitching as a sample of your work and a way to establish or boost credibility.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
I didn't do an official happy dance yet 'cause I don't have official approval of my requested changes to the contract, but if all goes well it will be a career guide on what it takes to become a counselor. Should hit the shelves in June, 2009...woo hoo! When I get back the signed contract I'll be bouncing off the walls.

Well, okay, I won't jinx you by doing a happy dance then, buuut...a little two-step? Small jig?:D

(Almost congrats!)

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
JJM-
Blue Mountain Arts is very legit. If you're interested in greeting card writing, AW actually offers a course. (I've never taken it, but my thought is that if it's offered by AW, it's gotta be good. LOL)

Goals:
- My main goal is to be published in a mainstream (national) consumer magazine.

- In 2008, I set the goal to gross $2000 or more a month. I have achieved that goal with flying colors, except in one month where I brought in about $1,900-ish. (The next month I made $5,000 so it was fine--both in regard to paying bills and in regard to mentally achieving my goal.)

This year, I'd like to double that and make $4,000 per month.

How? I want to keep my regular clients, add two more regular clients to my list, (in addition to the one I just landed, but counting the one that's a strong possibility right now) and get gigs here and there to make that $4,000.

Mid-year, I thought one of my goals would be to develop a niche in parenting/pregnancy, but that market seems far too glutted and not as well paying as I'd imagined, so I think I'm better off focusing on more unique niches. (Although free baby gear would be cool.)

Dawn

WittyWordsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KinseyMoberg.com
General goals is definitely the way to describe it for me. Mine aren't too specific. My short term is to finish reading Jenna's bible. Then I can get to researching markets and all that fun stuff. In 2009, I'd like to start getting published with some freelance stuff, hopefully for pay although I am willing to start with unpaid stuff if that's what it takes to get started. I've got a novel that I want to finish revising to the point of starting the agent search.

As far as staying focused, I'm hoping that being involved in this group will inspire me and help me keep me on track. I've never written a query letter, but I'm going to learn how all this goes. I think writing down goals is really really important; if I write it down, it's more concrete to me.

Wow, I'm amazed! Aside from the novel goal (which I envy) you stole the thoughts directly out of my head. In fact, I wrote those goals out just last week in the order you said them. Here's to a good 2009! :)

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I'm amazed! Aside from the novel goal (which I envy) you stole the thoughts directly out of my head. In fact, I wrote those goals out just last week in the order you said them. Here's to a good 2009! :)

Well maybe we can keep each other company while working to that goal. :)

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
My goals are to keep doing what I'm doing, writing for the examiner site, writing and promoting my portfolio and The Freshman Writer, keep working on the writing course, and finish reading my books. I really need a refresher. :)

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
catmuse - what sort of work do you do to pull in real cash? I'm just curious. I'd like to crank up my writing to at least a "part time" income. Personally, I'm interested in magazine type writing. I've got the ear of one editor who encourges me to send him all the ideas I've got, but I'd like to expand!

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Stl Denise,

Most of my money (80 percent or more) is from a stable of regular trade magazine clients. Next year I hope to break into national consumer mags. I also do some ghostwriting, not for giant corporations, but small to medium sized companies. I make bits and pieces here and there from a few blogs I contribute to, and a bit writing for paintball magazines, too.

I hate to say this because it's probably disheartening to people who query, query, query, but most of my work is through word-of-mouth, and many came out of full-time editorial jobs I've had in the past. Only a handful of jobs were from 'cold-querying,' where I didn't already at least *know* the client in one way or another.

That's not to discourage anyone without contacts and connections--one of the writers of "The Renegade Writer" sent a cold query to a major consumer magazine, first shot, and got the job. So it CAN be done. But I've just been very fortunate and blessed with the connections I've made with people over the years, which has made it unnecessary for me to send out many cold queries.

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
Connections do help! I was just curious if you did a lot of business writing or if you did magazine work. If you don't mind me asking, do you work for trades where you have personal knowledge from working the industry? I'd like to take a jab at a trade magazine, but I've been out of circulation for a couple years.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Hm. Well I tend to set really attainable goals for myself so I don't feel like a failure if I can't do it.

My goal going into 2008 was to finish my novel. I finished it, got an agent. My goal going into 2009 is to finish my current WIP and submit it to my agent. I would love to say my goal is to get one of my manuscripts published, but that is up to a publisher, not me, so my goal is simply to finish this novel and do everything I can to make this and my completed novel publishable.

awhyley

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first year of really focusing on writing as a career, so I really want;

- To find an agent, for a book (easy reader) that I'm tweaking
- Sell a few articles
- Get the book published

It looks so easy posted up there on the board . . .