King family seeks to cash in on MLK-Obama items

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
ATLANTA (AP) - Zealous guardians of his words and his likeness, the family of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. is demanding a share of the proceeds from the sudden wave of T-shirts, posters and other merchandise depicting the civil rights leader alongside Barack Obama.

Isaac Newton Farris Jr., King's nephew and head of the nonprofit King Center in Atlanta, said the estate is entitled to hundreds of thousands of dollars in licensing fees - maybe even millions.

“Some of this is probably putting food on people's plates. We're not trying to stop anybody from legitimately supporting themselves," he said, "but we cannot allow our brand to be abused."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081113/D94E8SC81.html

Don’t you just love how money trumps everything, even dreams?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
what's the problem?

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
When political people like JFK & MLK are put on pedestals, little things like fidelity to the person they married are tossed aside as trivial. If a man can't be faithful to his wife, the greatness is a sham and a lie.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like the nephew is just another greedy 'kin-folk' out to get his...under the guise of: 'this is for the family'.

Huh...bet mafia uses the same excuse...'for the family' before drilling out your kneecaps.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
When political people like JFK & MLK are put on pedestals, little things like fidelity to the person they married are tossed aside as trivial. If a man can't be faithful to his wife, the greatness is a sham and a lie.

Or possibly greatness is about more than one thing, and we are all flawed, and those of us who manage to achieve powerful change for good in the world despite our flaws deserve to be honored.

Oskar Schindler was a rampant womanizer and a drunk, who wasted tons of money before WWII and afterward; he still saved the lives of thousands of people who are grateful. I think there were probably plenty of faithful German husbands during the war who never stepped out on their wives, all the while cheering Hitler on. By your rationale, the latter were to be praised, Schindler to be scorned. So I think I'm going to reject that.

To get back to the subject: Certain images of MLK probably have to be defended by the familiy in order for them to retain control over any use of the image. In other words, if they don't speak up when people put MLK on a celebratory T-shirt with Obama, they lose their right to speak up when somebody puts MLK on a neo-Nazi T-shirt denigrating him.

Last edited:

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
At least we are not yet going Medieval and collecting bones of our political and celebrity saints and icons -- yet.
MLK femur on ebay?
Elvis' pelvis, a splinter from the True Guitar of Chuck Berry at Sotheby's?

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
You know, there is something to be said for controlling where the image of an honored family member appears. Regardless of money.

For example, my grandfather was a public figure in my state and county in his field. Since he passed away a year ago, there have been several very nice things done in his honor. We as a family have been very grateful. Was he a saint? No. Did he do some great things for his family, his community and his state? Absolutely.

I would, however, object to someone putting his face on a t-shirt putting someone down, or putting forth an idea he would never have supported. (Not that I can see anyone putting him on a t-shirt, but I can see someone trying to use his name to support something not quite right.)

Controlling the license and the money to be made from the use of that license is one way to try to protect the person's legacy. It's one way to make sure that that person's accomplishments are treated with respect. The control over the resulting profit is a tool to be used to protect your family's name and reputation. That doesn't mean they're out for the profit only.

I'm not saying that the t-shirts are in bad taste. I haven't seen them. That being said, I can understand that the family would want to be consulted and to be careful not to lose any legal rights to control how their family member is portrayed in public when they are no longer around to protect themselves.