PDA

View Full Version : Question about MS Format

Calliopenjo
11-14-2008, 02:00 AM
I found another website that requires a no more than 70 word line. What are the margins on a 70 word line?

2Wheels
11-14-2008, 02:22 AM
I think they mean that if it is for web publication they intend to fix the browser window pixel display size, and don't want more than 70 words on any given line so that if the viewer is using a low res monitor (e.g. 600 x 800) they won't have to scroll right to read to the end of a line.
Phew. I hope that made sense. It's just a guess.

FennelGiraffe
11-14-2008, 02:36 AM
Could it be 70 characters per line? 70 words would make a very long line.

If so, the physical line width depends on what font you're using. A monospaced font, such as Courier/Courier New/Dark Courier is 10 characters per inch, so 70 characters is 7 inches. On an 8 1/2 inch page, 1 1/2 inches will be left over, which gives a 3/4 inch margin for each side.

With a proportionate font--anything from Arial to TNR--there's just no way to say. Different letters take up different amounts of space. "W" is much wider then "i". On top of that, it varies from one font to the next. An Arial "W" isn't the same size as a Verdana "W", and neither is the same size as a TNR "W".

ETA: Courier is 10 characters per inch at the 12 point size. Different point sizes are different widths.