Whoops! I lost a character.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
The third night of NaNo I decided to let my MC's ex bring his second wife along. This was a huge mistake and resulted in the AARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH thread last night.

So at lunch, I'm writing a scene between the foursome and all of the sudden I realize I now have a trio. With tension, because the ex really wants the MC back and the new guy really likes her. The MC, of course, has conflicts because she still has feelings for her ex and he's not a bad guy (yet), and well, the new guy has a third eye in the middle of his forehead.

Which is the fun of Nano. If I were writing this in the real world, I'd feel obligated to go back and eliminate her now rather than continuing on with the story. Instead, I'll do that in January. Now on to 50,000+

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I had that problem last year. See there was this dog and periodically, I would forget when he was in the scene and when he wasn't. There was much headdesking in January of the stupid pooch.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I have a character who is intentionally losing himself. He's supposed to be showing up in all these scenes, dammit, but usually he just slips away unnoticed. And he's rather important, so I can't just cut him. Jerk.

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Since I write segments out of order I realized last night that I had a character who was already dead give a eulogy at a funeral for another character. I'll have to revise that... in december.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Oh, I had that problem last year. See there was this dog and periodically, I would forget when he was in the scene and when he wasn't. There was much headdesking in January of the stupid pooch.

Good job you reminded me, I keep forgetting I wanted to put a dog into the story.
:e2bear: (The smilies' list says it's a bear but it'll do for a dog, I think)

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Since I write segments out of order I realized last night that I had a character who was already dead give a eulogy at a funeral for another character. I'll have to revise that... in december.

Or you could leave it in. It'd make an interesting premise -- zombie minister.

No, Ruth. Bad Ruth. Finish WIP first, Ruth, then do the zombie minister thing.

Or wait until you preach next, and do it for real. :tongue

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Or you could leave it in. It'd make an interesting premise -- zombie minister.

No, Ruth. Bad Ruth. Finish WIP first, Ruth, then do the zombie minister thing.

Or wait until you preach next, and do it for real. :tongue

Dearly beloved we are gathered here to pay our last respects for dear Henry.

Dear, dear Henry.

My he looks tasty.

Let's eat!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
funny-pictures-cat-sees-many-zombies-from-window.jpg

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Dogs are a pain. I had one and I'd go for chapters and chapters and realize I hadn't mentioned it. Best behaved dog I every knew.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
Trivia: in the first edition of Michener's Texas, he killed a character and then killed him again about 10 pages later. Apparently it was corrected in later editions.

Getting rid of the second wife helped me immensely. 2494 tonight with two good scenes (and the knowledge that the previous scenes will work much better when I do the rewrites). YAY!

Of course, now I'm worried about the cat I have as a secondary character.

And I also want to write a zombie story based on the cheezeburger cat linked above. of course, if I want to pad the NaNo I could always have one character tell it to another, for pages, in gory detail ripped off from every one of Romero's movies.

Hmmm, we need a smiley for "thwacks self up the side of the head."

Last edited:

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, we need a smiley for "thwacks self up the side of the head."

:e2smack:

:D

I'm having fun introducing characters. I cut my MC's love interest from the first story with these characters, and now she's finally shown up in this story and landed right in the middle of an almost love triangle. This is going to be fun. ;)

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I hope this won't be another story in which guys with third eyes in the middle of their foreheads finish last. :D Keep plugging away!

The MC, of course, has conflicts because she still has feelings for her ex and he's not a bad guy (yet), and well, the new guy has a third eye in the middle of his forehead.