PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest 2009

ChaosTitan
11-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Yep, they're doing it again (http://www.amazon.com/b?node=332264011). Sue Monk Kidd and Sue Grafton are panel judges this year.

dclary
11-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Yep, they're doing it again (http://www.amazon.com/b?node=332264011). Sue Monk Kidd and Sue Grafton are panel judges this year.

Wow, looks nice... And my nano may be in submissable shape by Feb!

:D

"A" Is For "Agent"
11-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Good luck to everyone (and anyone) submitting!

Ms Hollands
11-14-2008, 02:29 AM
Hmmm, France is not covered in the list of countries for entrant eligibility. It says:

"ELIGIBILITY. Open to legal residents of the following countries: (NOT FRANCE)"

Australia and the UK are listed. I have passports for both those countries. I guess being a citizen of both those countries isn't enough? Or is it???

Carmy
11-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Why wouldn't it be enough? So, you're on sabbatical in France to work on your novel, huh?

Go for it.

heyjude
11-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh good Lord. I'm not sure I could take this contest again. What a mess it was. Hopefully they've made some significant improvements.

AP7
11-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Oh good Lord. I'm not sure I could take this contest again. What a mess it was. Hopefully they've made some significant improvements.

Please share. I'd love to hear about it. I'm not big for contests but this looks promising.

DeleyanLee
11-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Just read through the rules.

I'm not sure I like the idea that they have complete ownership of my book and can put up excerpts wherever they care to without my knowledge. Oh, and they can also mess with it too. Couldn't quite get it if was just the formatting or what, but I'm not sure I like not knowing where on the WWW my words could just show up.

I'm also not sure that I like the fact that you cannot negotiate the contract if you win. You just have to accept the terms they give you. While the rates don't sound bad, the money is only one small part of what's covered in the contract. What if it's a multiple book contract and they stick in basket-accounting, for instance? That just doesn't sit right.

Don't know if I'd bother, honestly.

qwerty
11-16-2008, 01:53 PM
France not listed, and the Quebec region of Canada is excluded. Seems to be indicating an anti-French attitude.

April, I guess you'd need to give an Oz or UK address.

AP7
11-16-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm also not sure that I like the fact that you cannot negotiate the contract if you win.

I wasnt clear on this. It does say "You will be required to accept the Penguin publishing contract "as-is" if you are selected as the Grand Prize winner." but it also says, "entrant will negotiate exclusively with Penguin for a period of thirty (30) days on the terms and conditions of a publishing agreement"

heyjude
11-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Please share. I'd love to hear about it. I'm not big for contests but this looks promising.

It was just messy. From what I gather there was a panic at every stage--they didn't have enough readers or enough time. It was a cross between amusing and horrifying to watch. Many people complained that their reviews looked as though the reviewer hadn't actually read the book. There were questions and concerns at every turn but no one from Amazon ever answered any of them. Hopefully this year they know how much they're biting off and it will go smoothly.

Soccer Mom
11-17-2008, 04:51 AM
Victoria has blogged about it at Writer's Beware (but in a decent way, not a run-for-the-hills way).

http://accrispin.blogspot.com/

I think I have a novel I want to enter. Sheesh, that makes me sound like I have a stack of unsold novels in a drawer...oh wait...

Horseshoes
11-21-2008, 04:16 AM
Oh, enter SoccerMom, dclary. Everyone who has a fitting novel that's not otherwise committed: enter. Why ever not? It was the first year last year...it seems much improved this time. It's free. You can stop at any point, unlike potato chips. A number of Absolutewriters put in last year and I think quite a few went a ways before the last elimination round or two.
Here's to you.

Gardenia31
01-04-2009, 01:46 AM
I wrote my novel on a MAC-Appleworks. Can I submit my novel in pdf format, or should it be in rtf format? What the heck is a doc.?

pdr
01-04-2009, 07:15 AM
doc is short for nasty old Bill Gates' microsoft files.

euclid
01-04-2009, 04:35 PM
doc is short for nasty old Bill Gates' microsoft files.

...is not nasty. :)

EndlessDestiny
01-05-2009, 06:46 AM
I'd like to enter, but I can't help but feel really intimidated. I can't even write a good query and for this I'd need to write a pitch...

icerose
01-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I am so entering this. They announced this contest the day I finished my latest novel and it happens to be the publishing company I'd targeted from the beginning.

I have less than a month to revise a full novel but if nothing else it'll give me a good temperature reading. If I can't get in the 2000 bracket I know my book is pathetic. If I can get to the top 100 I know my book is getting pretty close. If I can make it to the top ten I know my book is there or very close to it. So even if I don't win this contest, I at least know where my book stands with the pros. To me that's extremely valuable.

The pitch has me scared to death though. I'm going to need help with that one.

icerose
01-05-2009, 09:52 PM
I wasnt clear on this. It does say "You will be required to accept the Penguin publishing contract "as-is" if you are selected as the Grand Prize winner." but it also says, "entrant will negotiate exclusively with Penguin for a period of thirty (30) days on the terms and conditions of a publishing agreement"

It means their contract and payment is as stated and there's no negotiating it.

icerose
01-05-2009, 09:53 PM
It was just messy. From what I gather there was a panic at every stage--they didn't have enough readers or enough time. It was a cross between amusing and horrifying to watch. Many people complained that their reviews looked as though the reviewer hadn't actually read the book. There were questions and concerns at every turn but no one from Amazon ever answered any of them. Hopefully this year they know how much they're biting off and it will go smoothly.

This time they're having a panel of professional judges and although there will be a peer voting, it'll be once it hits like the top ten, rather than everyone's submissions. Also I believe this year the final say goes to the judges rather than jerks who have their friends and families doing flyby negative ratings and from what I understand you cannot rate a piece this year you can only vote for one piece.

euclid
01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Why do they want the whole document AND the first 5,000 words?

icerose
01-06-2009, 01:30 AM
The first 5k is for display.

euclid
01-06-2009, 02:34 AM
Fair enough, but the whole document includes the first 5,000 words.

AP7
01-06-2009, 03:18 AM
It means their contract and payment is as stated and there's no negotiating it.

then why are they giving 30 days to negotiate?

SirBiatch
01-06-2009, 12:11 PM
What's this pitch thing?

And are they open to SF/F elements? I'm looking at the winners last year and they seem to be more on the historical/mainstream fic side.

icerose
01-06-2009, 10:57 PM

Beats me, it said earlier it was non-negotiable, maybe they've changed it since I've read it. Maybe you have 30 days to agree to it or decline. I don't know.

Anarchic Q
01-07-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm a little confused.

GRANT OF RIGHTS. By submitting an Entry, each entrant [...]grants Penguin exclusive first publication rights to the Entry if entrant is: selected as a Quarter-Finalist until such time that the Quarter Finalist entrant is eliminated from the Contest (see Prizes section below for publishing obligations of Grand Prize winner); or for entrants reaching the Semi Final Round, until June 30, 2009. If Penguin notifies an entrant (excluding the Grand Prize winner) that it wishes to publish such entrant's work, entrant will negotiate exclusively with Penguin for a period of thirty (30) days on the terms and conditions of a publishing agreement. If at the end of that 30-day period, entrant and Penguin have not reached agreement, entrant will be free to offer the work to other publishers, provided that before entrant enters into an agreement with another publisher, entrant will afford Penguin the last right to publish the work on the same terms and conditions offered by any other publisher plus an advance against royalties ten percent (10%) greater.

So does this mean that submitters grant publishing rights to Penguin until June 30th if we win (and then the rights return to us). Or until the end of our print run if we win?

And if we cannot agree within 30 days of winning, Penguin can publish it anyway?

frisco
01-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I am definitely going to enter. I'm glad I noticed the post here, I have my nove complete already and all I need to is a bit of polishing and out it goes--will be golden by February.
I'm not at all concerned with the fact I have to negotiate with Penguin exclusively if they decide they want to publish it. I'm sure if I sent it to another publishing house it would be a case of "we like the book and want to publish it, here is out offer--take it or leave it."
I'd be more than happy to just have my work get some exposure and see how far I can take it in a contest like this. I don't see a downside to it at all.

illiterwrite
01-07-2009, 05:26 PM

I think you have 30 days to accept the contract as is. By "negotiating with Penguin exclusively" I think they mean, "you can't submit to another publisher before giving us an answer."

alias octavia
01-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Do you think it is okay to enter ABNA and still query agents?

Twizzle
01-07-2009, 08:29 PM
I think you have 30 days to accept the contract as is. By "negotiating with Penguin exclusively" I think they mean, "you can't submit to another publisher before giving us an answer."

it seems to me it also says that Penquin is offering a contract to the winner and saying here, you must take it or leave it and you must consider us first. BUT. Penquin is also reserving the right to negotiate that contract if they want (for ex, throw in a two book deal, another publisher makes you a sweeter offer)...and are saying if that's the case, the writer will complete that negotiating w/them within 30 days too. but I'm no lawyer, so.

icerose
01-07-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm a little confused.

So does this mean that submitters grant publishing rights to Penguin until June 30th if we win (and then the rights return to us). Or until the end of our print run if we win?

And if we cannot agree within 30 days of winning, Penguin can publish it anyway?

It means if you are in the quarterfinals, you cannot publish that book until you are eliminated. You're granting them exclusive access to your manuscript until you're eliminated or the contest is over if you make it to the top 3. It's just so they don't waste their time picking a script that is picked up elsewhere. It's like you are submitting to them and they're saying while it's with us you can't send it eslewhere until we reject it. It's rather common protocol. They don't have print rights at all until you agree to the publishing contract.

And no, if you don't agree to the publishing contract you are basically forfieting winning, including the prize money which is actually an advance.

Pamster
01-07-2009, 11:24 PM
I would enter a different novel th is time around but it's only 41K and they have a minimum of 50K. Oh well, I might have to work on it and see if I can revamp in the rest of January. I don't know that I can, but it's worth a shot, it's not my best work because that I think it my memoir and I don't want to tie it up and not query on it for four months. So I guess I miss the contest if I can't work on this other novel I wrote that is YA. :p GLad they are doing it again though.

EndlessDestiny
01-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Someone asked before if they're open to sci-fi and fantasy stories. I'd like to know the answer to that too.

Does anyone have any idea how to go about writing the pitch? I can barely write a query.

Shara
01-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Endlessdestiny, I have it in my mind that a 'pitch' is the sort of thing you would find on the back cover of the published book.

Of course I might have completely wrong, in which case I have no chance of winning.

But since I have two completed novels sitting around going nowhere, I figure I might as well enter one of them. There is, as they say, nothing to lose.

Shara

Pamster
01-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I have posed this question in the Basic Writing Questions forum but so far no one has responded, I know it's still holiday schedule for some folks so I am not worried. I just need to know should a pitch include the ending or not? I too think it's supposed to be like the back cover blurb, but I am not 100% sure so I want to hear it from others as to what they think a pitch in this instance means. :)

A week ago I wasn't considering entering and now I am entering my YA novel that needs 8K more words, as I am frantically working on it now. :)

SirBiatch
01-08-2009, 05:50 PM
So if you enter your novel into this contest, can you still query agents about it? Or is it essentially 'off limits' for a couple of months?

and are they open to sci-fi/fantasy?

JamieB
01-08-2009, 06:35 PM
I was wondering about querying agents during the contest as well.

As for genre, looks like they're open to any. Mine is YA Fantasy and I'm entering it.

Pamster
01-08-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't know if they are open to Sci-fi Fantasy but it says on the website FAQ:

What kinds of novels are you accepting?
We are accepting original, unpublished, fictional, English language manuscripts of any genre, provided they meet Amazon.com's content guidelines. from this link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200291640

So I would say go for it, but no, you can't query until after you've been eliminated from the contest. So if that bothers you you might reconsider entering. I am gonna go for it if I can swing the 8K words I need to get added ASAP and finalize the edit on the novel I think it will do well. :)

icerose
01-08-2009, 06:48 PM
You can have an agent before entering the contest, but the agent has to stop submitting and can't really negotiate on the contract, but once you're in the contest your book is on hold until it's out because you're basically granting them exclusivity so they don't waste their time.

Carmy
01-08-2009, 07:17 PM
A note of caution . . .

Despite what the judges decide, customers of Amazon.com (and Amazon.com.uk I think) can add their votes. If you have a lot of friends or co-workers who buy through one of those Amazon sites, you're in luck and they can all vote for your novel.

I buy through Amazon.ca and I could not vote on the 2008 contest.

This has a touch of the authonomy contest about it and leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

Pamster
01-11-2009, 01:32 AM
I am still going strong, I have to keep focusing on getting my book ready, and it's not easy, I feel stressed from the deadline. Are others frantically working to ready their projects in time for the first day of submissions? I really want to get this book in the contest because I think it has a better chance of making the first cut then the book I entered last time. ;)

I can appreciate the point you bring up Carmy, it makes me nervous too, but I am going for it. It's not like I have anything to lose you know? And others who made it to the final ten cut were offered contracts on their novels too, I don't think it was by Penguin though, they didn't really state who will publish the finalist's books who'd been able to get contracts from the exposure their novels got on Amazon's site for the contest. :)

SirBiatch
01-11-2009, 03:51 AM
Another question:

If you submit a book that is part of a trilogy, does that mean Penguin can offer a non-negotiable contract for all three?

I dont like the sound of non-negotiable, especially when I haven't read the contract. If you're selected as the grand prize winner, then you have to sign? Or can you reject the contract and keep the 'props' for having won the contest?

Pamster
01-11-2009, 04:15 PM
I don't know what they would do in that case SirBiatch. And I don't know about your other questions either. It's hard to answer those since they don't have any mention of that stuff in the rules.

Rhush
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I reformatted to RTF, but I wanted to be certain you cant sub in microsoft works... anyone know? I get lost on the small details. Anyway, and we cant sub until Feb 2nd, right...? Cuz geeez I wish I could just get it done now. Thanks!

ssnowe
01-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Good luck to everyone entering! I wish I had something ready to go, but I am tapped out these days. :)

Gardenia31
01-14-2009, 07:40 AM
is rtf a textedit file?

hester
01-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Hi all!

I entered the contest last year-it was a good experience and I'd highly recommend it.

A few posters asked if the contest was open to Sci-Fi and fantasy-definitely yes. There were a bunch of sci-fi/fantasy novels that made the first cut (when they winnowed the entrants from 5,000 to just over 800).

I can't remember if the next round (when they winnowed down to a hundred) included sci-fi; the finalists (top ten) were mostly literary fiction and mystery/thriller.

Hope this helps and best of luck to everyone!

Peachnuts
01-15-2009, 11:56 PM
so, do I have this right,it has to be a novel not non-fiction narrative nor memoir?

Gardenia31
01-16-2009, 01:50 AM
In regards to the pitch: should the novel length be included and as well a short bio of ourselves?

Pamster
01-16-2009, 04:49 AM
so, do I have this right,it has to be a novel not non-fiction narrative nor memoir?

Yes, no non-fiction or narrative non-fic or memoir can be accepted. I know I just finished my memoir and would have loved to have entered it IF I wasn't about to send out queries on it that is. ;) LOL! :D

Peachnuts
01-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Roger that Pamster.

What is your memoir about?

Pamster
01-16-2009, 05:12 AM
I am having second thoughts about the contest because they judge us based solely on the pitches we make. Gawd that's so unfair, it's not a decent gauge of how good our work is! I guess I won't be entering after all...

Pamster
01-16-2009, 05:13 AM
Mine is about what it was like to survive a motorcycle accident in 1987 and become a hip amputee. Struggling to cope with all that comes with that kind of a injury and rising above it all. What's yours about? :)

Horseshoes
01-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Pam,
Sounds like an interesting and worthy story. Hope you get it out there.

Sounds also like the contest is fair, in that *everybody* has to get to the next round w/ what is pretty close to a query letter--just like we do w/ agents and editors. And this is a free contest...

Pamster
01-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Did you watch the video on Createspace's ABNA area? It talks about an author bio...yet no where on the ABNA site on Amazon does it mention this with a specific word count. They mention you can upload a photo but I don't see mention of the bio...Thanks for the encouragment Horseshoes! I do hope to be able to rewrite a decent pitch letter and get a bio made up. :)

Pamster
01-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Anyone know anything about the Author Bio they want? I haven't seen a word count or mention of it other then in the video on createspace. Anyone have any clues on this Author Bio? Still not sure if I am gonna try to enter with what I have or not. The author bio will keep me out if I don't find some info on word count and where it goes, should it be a paragraph in the pitch? :)

Peachnuts
01-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Mine is about what it was like to survive a motorcycle accident in 1987 and become a hip amputee. Struggling to cope with all that comes with that kind of a injury and rising above it all. What's yours about? :)

Post adoption adjustments (depression). Have you sub to many agents yet?

Pamster
01-20-2009, 08:35 PM
No, still working the query out, only sent two on this one so far...THIS week even. ;)

Anyone got a clue on the bio and if its meant to be in the pitch? :)

Chanelley
01-20-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm still undecided about entering this. It seems like a HUGE longshot, and I'm not sure I like the terms of the book deal. Part of me thinks "just see what happens," and the other part of me thinks "why bother?"

Pamster
01-21-2009, 12:28 AM
I can understand Chanelley, I feel conflicted still too. In just about the same degree as you're feeling. I was trying to rewrite part of my entry but it's just not happening for me yet. Maybe, maybe not, not committed yet.

Julie Worth
01-21-2009, 12:37 AM
I am having second thoughts about the contest because they judge us based solely on the pitches we make. Gawd that's so unfair, it's not a decent gauge of how good our work is! I guess I won't be entering after all...

It's not solely on the pitch. From Amazon:

How is the contest being judged?
The Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award consists of a qualifying period in which Amazon editors evaluate the submission pitch, a second round in which Amazon editors and Amazon Vine Reviewers (http://www.amazon.com/gp/vine/help) evaluate excerpts from the submission, a quarter-final period in which excerpts are posted online for customer feedback (through ratings and reviews) and Publishers Weekly review the full manuscript, a semi-final period where Penguin editors review the full manuscripts to select the finalists, and a final period in which Amazon customers vote to determine the winner. Please review the Contest Rules (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200291720) for more details on the judging process.

Pamster
01-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Ahhh but to get in to the second round you have only the pitch to do so on. It's not a given that your submission makes it to the second round. Thanks for posting that Julie. :)

Julie Worth
01-21-2009, 01:41 AM
Ahhh but to get in to the second round you have only the pitch to do so on. It's not a given that your submission makes it to the second round. Thanks for posting that Julie. :)

Right, eighty percent will be eliminated on the basis of the pitch, which is less than the typical fallout when querying an agent.

Pamster
01-21-2009, 08:16 PM
I wish I could get mine in better shape...LOL! It's so hard to write these....

Pamster
01-22-2009, 05:01 PM
It's 300 words on all text fields in the submission process so a bio is limited to three hundred words too. I liked that they sent out an email with a new video already crafted. Nice of them to hear us and answer the questions we all had. :)

GavinPreacher
01-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Since i have gotten nowhere with my querying on PREACHER'S BLOOD, in the crazy woirld i live it it stands to reason that i should enter it into this amazon contest. I was just reading up about it and i think i might go ahead and give it a whirl/ Coming up with the pitch is going to be hard, like doing a query isn't hard enough, but i will go ahead and give it a try, i think. Hey, you never know.

Pamster
01-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Good luck GavinPreacher, I am sure it will work out better to go ahead and submit it. It requires a few other things, documents I mean, not just the finished MS. You have to have a Pitch letter of 300 words or less. And an optional author bio of 300 words or less. We also need to set up an 'excerpt' doc of 3,000-5,000 words starting from the beginning of your novel. :)

ericsmithrocks
01-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Excellent! thanks for the link. :)

brainstorm77
01-26-2009, 07:24 PM
France not listed, and the Quebec region of Canada is excluded. Seems to be indicating an anti-French attitude.

April, I guess you'd need to give an Oz or UK address.

Not anti french, Quebec has its own rules when it comes to contests.

Pamster
01-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Who all are entering? I have a book I am entering. I got off my butt and wrote a great pitch letter and a nice bio with a 300 word anecdotes piece for this contest. I am really looking forward to this year, and the contest will make me happy for a little while. At least until I get cut/eliminated. ;)

Pamster
02-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Submissions open tonight in just about 11 hours. I am so excited, I got like this over the Gather.com contest and the ABNA last year too. I just hope things go well and I can get my entry in tonight at midnight. Anyone else entering and excited about it? :D

Mr. Anonymous
02-01-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm entering as well. You've got some competition Pammy. xP

Pamster
02-01-2009, 11:53 PM
The more the merrier! :D What genre are you entering? Mine is Thriller/Suspense. YA. :D

Mr. Anonymous
02-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Mine's a literary YA. Think a modern version of Salinger's Catcher in the Rye, except written by a far less talented author, and with a lot more cursing. lol. (How's that for a pitch, eh? Eh???)

Pamster
02-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Good luck on it Mr. Anonymous! I hope you had a bio set up too, I have been working on those extra bits for the past two weeks trying to get them right. :D

Mr. Anonymous
02-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I figure I'll sort of throw something together at 12:01 for the bio et al. xP Good luck to you too!

Horserider
02-02-2009, 05:24 AM
I was thinking about entering, but I don't know if I can have Andra fully edited and have a great pitch written in 8 days. That and I don't want to have to wait until March 16th before I can even think about starting to query.

Amazon customers can download, rate, and review excerpts on Amazon.com, providing feedback to Penguin Editors about submissions.

Download?

kz2zx
02-02-2009, 10:32 AM
A 4500-5000 word excerpt, Andra.

After they cull the entries from 10,000 to 500 based on the pitch submitted at entry time.

Pamster
02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I entered before bed last night! Hurray! LOL!! Good luck to everyone in the contest! :D

heyjude
02-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Good luck all! I'm too chicken this year. :)

alias octavia
02-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Good luck to all those entering this contest! I have a question about the contest -- if you make it to the round where the excerpt is posted online, does that impact your ability to say that the work is unpublished? Call me paranoid, but I worry about that aspect. Aren't some publishers funny about interpreting e-publishing to include sample chapters of web sites? I realize that last year's entries are all offline now, but they were up for a while and you could download them. Thoughts?

SirBiatch
02-03-2009, 11:20 PM
^I don't think it matters. Publishers will know it was for contest purposes.

by the way, I submitted! Good luck to you all.

Renee Collins
02-04-2009, 12:45 AM
I submitted. *shrug* Why not?

And to everyone else who has or will enter, better watch out!

j/k :) Good luck

harriet47
02-04-2009, 02:25 AM
In case no one's posted this link for an essay by one of last year's contest judges, it's worth a look. After reading it, I won't be submitting my novel. And I don't watch American Idol either.

http://nplusonemag.com/reality-publishing

AP7
02-04-2009, 04:34 AM
Thanks for posting that link. It was informative, entertaining and downright depressing! Letís face it, no less than 80% of the novels entered will be completely and totally unpublishable. It would be interesting to hear from last yearís winner. Did he have to beg, borrow and steal to win? (A la Survivor or the Apprentice.) Did he shamelessly promote himself and find creative ways to garner votes? Or did he simply write a fine novel that resonated with the voters? I havenít a clue but I do know that he got a publishing deal, which is the dream of all the entrants.

Pamster
02-04-2009, 05:01 AM
Interesting link. :) I participated in it last year but I didn't participate in the discussions, I don't like forums unless they looks more like AW looks. as in the format of the discussion, I just don't like the way that amazon has organized their forum-I use the term loosely. ;) To me UBB, VB or the like make a forum easier on the eyes. :)

icerose
02-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Well I entered today. I don't have much confidence I'll win anything because I didn't have enough time to really edit it, but hey, it should be fun and it'll be a good gauge of where I'm sitting with this one at the very least. Fingers crossed for the March update!

Pamster
02-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Good luck icerose! Glad you had a novel you could enter. :D I know the submission period is still open but man I wish we knew now if our stories were selected to move into quater finals...LOL!!! Call e Ms. Impatience... ;) :D

KosseMix
02-04-2009, 07:34 PM
I entered. I might be able to make some more edits before the deadline, but I don't know.

As it is, I don't expect it to make it to the QF. But it's a fun little dream. And I like shiny forms.

heyjude
02-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Eek! From: http://writerunboxed.com/2009/02/04/running-the-gauntlet/ (Is it okay to repost the whole entry?)

Running the gauntlet
February 4th, 2009 by Kathleen Bolton

Here’s an interesting tidbit for those who are contemplating a try at Amazon’s 2009 Breakthrough Novel Award contest. A judge for Amazon’s 2008 Breakthrough tells-all (ht Galleycat):

Now seems the right time for full disclosure: I am a member of the National Book Critics Circle. I penned several of the much contested Publishers Weekly reviews, for a $40 per manuscript honorarium. Am I a “professional” reviewer? I am a poet and a human being—and I review books, too. But for the purposes of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award (the discussion boards insisted) I was the bloodless professional, the executioner. Over a period of six weeks, some twenty manuscripts arrived at my apartment. The deliveries thumped at the doorstep like children on Halloween, wanting treats. I dispatched them with 250-word critiques—tricks.

Double ouch:

The ten finalists were allowed to make a “plea” for themselves. Their manuscript excerpts were posted alongside photos and autobiographical statements—beauty-pageant-style effusions of their passions and dreams, stories about their pets, et cetera, worthy of a runway walk finale. The three top vote-getters were flown to New York where the winner was announced. Congratulations go to Bill Loehfelm, author of Fresh Kills—a mystery thriller I have never read and probably never will.

Oh dear.

icerose
02-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Yeah that one was upstream. Last year's contest was a mess, I had entered that one too. From the looks of the rules they restructured it though to where peer voting only comes into play once it hits the final round. I'm fine with that.

I'm not real hip on it being so public and I'm sure some really nasty reviews will be posted that wouldn't be otherwise if it wasn't public. For some reason public humiliation seems to be a lot of fun for people when it isn't them.

I did enter this year for my own reasons. I don't think I'll win, I don't have any delusions about that, I simply did not have enough time to properly polish my piece and I had to slap together a pitch as I was out of time.

What I want out of the contest is a basic reading.

This is how I'm looking at it.

If I make it into the quarterfinals my pitch is good enough to get enough interest in my book to get read by agents. If I don't then I really need to retool it to stand out from the slush.

If I make it to the semi-finals I know my partial is good enough to get a request for a full, so that means that's sitting at least okay.

If I make it to the finals it means my entire manuscript is good enough to get published.

It's really that simple for me. Whereas they aren't doing peer voting so early this year, like from the beginning, it makes me feel a lot better about the contest, though I don't think peer voting should really come into it, but hey, it's they're contest and I've agreed to play by their rules. At least I won't get any flyby zeros this year just for the sake of boosting someone else's rating.

BenPanced
02-05-2009, 02:37 AM
I have a bookmark on my browser and when I got a bulletin from the NaNoWriMo site about the entry window being open, it reminded me I'd been considering entering. Well, about an hour later, I had everything thrown together (save the bio portion) and uploaded successfully.

What the <garbled in transmission> have I done?! :flag:

intjkate
02-06-2009, 03:43 PM
I've entered this contest as well, but I am a bit nervous about it. I still have to edit my bio.

Alias Octavia, you wrote that you were nervous about having part of the book put on line and if it interferes with future opportunities. I know someone responded that they did not think so. But I am still concerned about that. I've read on some agents and publishers sites that having part of your work on line might stop them from being interested in publishing your work.

That article that was written by the last years judge is quite sad. I hope it is just mostly about her being cynical. Most of what I've heard is that people have had good experiences with it.

I guess my biggest concern is that although my primary reason for doing this is not to win, but to get some feed back, I don't want to be part of something that feels like public humiliation...just because people get into a reality TV headspace. I have had no feedback on my novel other than from friends and family. If it's not as good as they say and I think...maybe I want to find that out gently.

I am hoping this will be a good experience.

icerose
02-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I guess my biggest concern is that although my primary reason for doing this is not to win, but to get some feed back, I don't want to be part of something that feels like public humiliation...just because people get into a reality TV headspace. I have had no feedback on my novel other than from friends and family. If it's not as good as they say and I think...maybe I want to find that out gently.

I am hoping this will be a good experience.

Maybe you should find good beta so you get valued feedback without the snipe.

Chances are probably pretty high that there's going to be some wanna-be Simon Cowel's among the reviewers. The important thing is remove the nasty and glean perhaps why they're making the comments they do and find a way to fix it.

If there are negative comments like "This is crap." Discard them completely because even though your manuscript is crap (not saying it is, I haven't read it) they aren't giving any feedback as to why and how to fix it, so it's utterly useless. Now if someone says "This is crap, the characters are cardboard cutouts, the dialog is so unnatural, and the plot is so far fetched my dog couldn't find it" then you have a little more to work with. Because they're listing why they think it's crap. If they go into even further detail you've struck gold. Even though it's really painful to hear that your work may not be up to par yet, it's sometimes the only way to grow.

And the point of getting a good beta who is not a friend or family member is you get an unbiased pov. However not all betas are created equal. Some will only comment on grammar and sentence structure and spelling, others will only comment on characters, while others will talk about plot and so forth, so you may only be getting partial feedback. Ideally you get a beta who flags everything that comes to their attention and in general the better polished your piece is the better feedback you'll get because they won't be wasting effort on stupid mistakes that should have been corrected.

Good luck. :)

SirBiatch
02-09-2009, 09:08 AM
so it looks like they didn't get 10000 submissions. Submission window has just officially ended.

icerose
02-09-2009, 08:44 PM
My guess is last year's mess turned quite a few would-be submitters off. I know if they hadn't changed the way the submissions are selected I wouldn't have entered this year.

SirBiatch
02-09-2009, 09:59 PM
^That may be true, but I think it has something to do with having a 10,000 submission window this year as opposed to the 5,000 window last year.

icerose
02-09-2009, 10:50 PM
^That may be true, but I think it has something to do with having a 10,000 submission window this year as opposed to the 5,000 window last year.

Very true, I forgot they'd doubled it.

frisco
02-11-2009, 04:26 AM
I ended up sending mine in. I'm pretty sure I won't win since I only proof read the first 150 pages of a 280 page book. I feel it was worth a shot and if anything it got me into the whole mode of reevaluating the book and cleaning some stuff up. I will go over the rest of the book and work a lot of my pitch and the summery of the book into a query letter. I feel I can send it out to as many agents as possible and even if I tank at the contest--which I expect--maybe something positive will come out of the agent querys.

Tigercub
02-11-2009, 12:53 PM
I entered this year. But after the deadline I looked at my pitch and realized that the first half of it hadn't uploaded. So I doubt if I'll make the quarterfinals on half a pitch. Sigh. I think my collateral writing was pretty good, too.

icerose
02-14-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Tiger, I'm really surprised I didn't do that, considering how rushed I was. It should be interesting at any rate.

aruna
02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
I entered. I had never even heard of this contest and only discovered it by chance on someone's blog, on the second day of the entry week.
I had a ms lying around which hadnt gone anywhere in 2 years so I submitted it along with a pitch, excerpt, bio etc. Nothing to lose; though I don't much like the idea of people being able to read the excerpt.

Oh, enter SoccerMom, dclary. Everyone who has a fitting novel that's not otherwise committed: enter. Why ever not? It was the first year last year...it seems much improved this time. It's free. You can stop at any point, unlike potato chips. A number of Absolutewriters put in last year and I think quite a few went a ways before the last elimination round or two.
Here's to you.

That's how I felt. As far as statistical odds are concerned they are far better than the normal agent route. And there is one distinct advantage: Penguin editors get to choose their three favourites. In normal submission process even if an editor LOVES your book it still has to go to the sales team which are most likely to poo on it. That's what happened to me with this very book.

So I like the idea of circumventing the sales team, if I should get that far.

I don'y expect to to win but it would be great to get into the top 100. After that it is MUCH harder.

A note of caution . . .

Despite what the judges decide, customers of Amazon.com (and Amazon.com.uk I think) can add their votes. If you have a lot of friends or co-workers who buy through one of those Amazon sites, you're in luck and they can all vote for your novel.

I buy through Amazon.ca and I could not vote on the 2008 contest.

This has a touch of the authonomy contest about it and leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

The voting only starts once the top three are selected. These are three novels that Penguin has already selected as books they'd publish. Probably all three will get publishing contracts, and the runner-up conditions are possibly better than winner conditions. Lats year five of the finalists got published. So the voting fortop position doesn't really matters. What matters is that Penguin editors consider your novel to be a serious contender.

However, like you, in my case and in every other foreigner's case there's a distinct disadvantage. I am not allowed to write reviews on amazon.com or post anything on their forumsor vote because I am not a customer. That is very unfair, as I do buy a lot from amazon.co.uk and I'm not about to order something from America and pay the extra postage just for the sake of a few little posting privileges!

So I wouldn't have large swathes of friends and family voting should a miracle occur and I get into the top 3, as most of my peeps are not US based and so not amazon.com customers. Which is actually good because I hate the idea of soliciting for votes.

Anyway. I entered. Let's see how far it will go.

People on the amazon boards (where I lurked for a few days)are speculating that there are probably far fewer entries this year than 10000.

icerose
02-18-2009, 07:18 PM
I just realized mine might be disqualified. On a very obscure piece outside of the FAQ, the Offical Rules and so forth is "How should my manuscript be formatted." On create space itself and not with the other amazon stuff, and it states specifically TNR and I submitted it in Courier. I hope I'm not disqualified because of using one of the two main submitting fonts instead of the other. But we'll see.

heyjude
02-18-2009, 11:17 PM
I bet you're fine, icerose. It's not like it's Wingdings.

Keep us posted, all. I'm cheering for you. I'd be thrilled to review for fellow AWers!

icerose
02-18-2009, 11:47 PM
I bet you're fine, icerose. It's not like it's Wingdings.

Keep us posted, all. I'm cheering for you. I'd be thrilled to review for fellow AWers!

Thanks. I just hope my pitch can make it through the first round, it was thrown together in ten minutes because I was in the middle of a bunch of paid projects with looming deadlines so I wasn't able to give the submission the time it needed to be proper.

aruna
02-19-2009, 10:21 AM
I just realized mine might be disqualified. On a very obscure piece outside of the FAQ, the Offical Rules and so forth is "How should my manuscript be formatted." On create space itself and not with the other amazon stuff, and it states specifically TNR and I submitted it in Courier. I hope I'm not disqualified because of using one of the two main submitting fonts instead of the other. But we'll see.

I hope they're not too anal on this. Crossing fingers that you are OK.

Thanks. I just hope my pitch can make it through the first round, it was thrown together in ten minutes because I was in the middle of a bunch of paid projects with looming deadlines so I wasn't able to give the submission the time it needed to be proper.
But you were allowed to go back xxxx number of times to revise... didn't you? I also threw my pitch together quickly. It was on the second day and I was certain that any minute now they'd reach the 10000 mark so I just chucked in a few paragraphs. But I went back again and again unitl Sunday, polishing it up. You were also allowed to polish the excerpt and manuscript up until Sunday night.

I think this time around the judging criteria are excellent, because it mirrors exactly the route we take with agents/publishers.

-- The pitch is the equivalent of the query. I lot of people on the amazon board moaned about having to write a selling pitch when they are creative writers, but that is just reality. A query is also a selling pitch and every aspiring novelist must learn to write one.

slush pile wittles down to 2000

--- Then, they have the excerpt stage, which is the equavelent of the partial.

wittles down to 500

-- Then the full ms stage.

wittles down to 100

-- publisher gets to read it! editor loves it!

wittles down to 3

--- public gets to choose. The public here is the equivalent of the "sales team" who get final say in the publishing house, just that instead of sales people judging on what they think the public would like, the public gets to vote directly.

It's just like in real life, only better, because the odds are better. Even if the contract leaves much to be improved; still, $25000 is not to be sneezed at in these days of hardship.

icerose
02-19-2009, 06:35 PM
I didn't go back and revise my entry because I did not see that requirement until after the contest was closed. At the time I had 6 looming deadlines that I could not miss. We're talking rewrites and everything that were paid that if I missed I probably wouldn't have a future place in the gig. It was due February 16th and I had recieved them January 15th so my time frame was extremely limited. I had also just finished the novel end of December so I got about two weeks to revise everything I could find in the manuscript. (No, I'm not looking for sympathy, I know I needed more time, but it can't hurt to enter, right?)

So there you have it. I do hope that I managed to do well enough that I can get pretty far, but as I said above if all else fails it gives me a good testing of the waters.

They also cut out the 2000 step last minute, like we're talking end of January last minute. It goes from 10k to 500. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200291680

There are the key dates. That's also part of what tripped me up is they had pieces of last year's contest and pieces of this year's contest rules and FAQ's listed and then updated them last minute.

I can only hope they aren't so anal as to disqualify Courier when it's a fairly standard submitting font.

aruna
02-19-2009, 07:11 PM
They haven't cut the 2000 milestone, it's just that we don't get to see those results. The first 2000 are chosen based ONLY on the pitch, but they aren't published; I'll see if I can find that info for you. It's there somewhere!

aruna
02-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Here you go:
https://www.createspace.com/abna

Initial Round: Expert reviewers from Amazon select 2,000 submissions from the 10,000 initial entries based each novel's "pitch." The 2,000 entries are then rated and receive two excerpt reviews from Amazon Editors and Amazon Vine Reviewers.

The field narrows to 500 entries...

icerose
02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
They haven't cut the 2000 milestone, it's just that we don't get to see those results. The first 2000 are chosen based ONLY on the pitch, but they aren't published; I'll see if I can find that info for you. It's there somewhere!

Talk about confusing, how is anyone supposed to get anything straight when pages straight up leave out info that others have. It's good to know that it's not narrowed down to 500 purely on the pitch, that makes me feel quite a bit better.

aruna
02-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Talk about confusing, how is anyone supposed to get anything straight when pages straight up leave out info that others have. It's good to know that it's not narrowed down to 500 purely on the pitch, that makes me feel quite a bit better.

Good luck to you!
Like you, I am really curious to see how far mine gets if it gets anywhere at all. The bottom line, though, is that Penguin will choose the three books that best fit into their list. Nothing new there, and I already know that my work has a hard time fitting in anywhere!
But it's good to know that there HAS to be three winners (for me, all three finalists are basically winners) and that every entry past the first 2000 will be fairly seriously scrutinised, and not chucked aside after the first page. I think the judges here will be far more attentive to the manuscripts than agents.

Mr. Anonymous
02-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Aruna,

I hate to disagree, but I highly doubt they're going to be more attentive than agents. After pitches, they have 2000 3-5000 word partials (most of those closer t 5k than to 3) to read and judge in just under a month (unlike an agent, who can technically take as much time as he/she wants, these guys have a set in stone deadline.)

I'm not sure if it's going to be the same as last year, but I remember hearing of a judge who got like 20 submissions to review or something. That's a lot of reading... (There were also a lot of complaints last year that reviewers hadn't seemed to read through the entire manuscripts or w/e. Sour grapes? Possibly.)

Then we have 500 Full Manuscripts that will be evaluated, again in a month's time, by Publisher's Weekly. Again a, crapload of reading. A part of me feels they're obligated to read the entire thing if they intend to give a reasonable review of it. Doubt it'll happen though.

Then we have 100 full manuscripts that will be read by Penguin editors... I think they're probably going to be looking for reasons to eliminate.

Something like... *reads a few pages. Is not hooked. Tosses it aside.*

I'll wager that they'll use the Publisher's Weekly reviews to get a feel for which novels are the strongest and concentrate on those...

The majority of their time will probably be spent deciding between the 10-20 manuscripts that they like most, have read all the way through, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

aruna
02-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Aruna,

I hate to disagree, but I highly doubt they're going to be more attentive than agents.
.................................................. ....................
The majority of their time will probably be spent deciding between the 10-20 manuscripts that they like most, have read all the way through, etc.

Just my 2 cents.....

You're probably right, too.

BenPanced
03-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Discussion...threads...annoying...staying...here.. .among...sane people...must...type like...William...Shatner...speaks...

SirBiatch
03-04-2009, 05:40 AM
^what do you mean?

BenPanced
03-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Petty sniping, cliques, flouncing off and coming back, flamebaiting. Worse than anything I've encountered anywhere online.

aruna
03-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Where is this? I want to join in! I haven't sniped, flamebaited or flounced for a long time! Sounds like fun! :)

Pamster
03-16-2009, 04:52 PM
OMG Today is the day, I can hardly wait to see what happens. THe excerpts should be up at some time today, when is anyone's guess. I cannot wait!!!!!! :D :D :D

icerose
03-16-2009, 05:44 PM
I wonder when they'll actually put the stuff up?

aruna
03-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Good luck to all AW entrants! I have an insider tip that the 2000 entries chosen on pitch alone got a very thorough and fair read from Amazon Vine reviewers.

Julie Worth
03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
From the Amazon ABNA forum this morning: "Incidentally, the Vine reviewers mentioned that they received e-mails yesterday from Amazon notifying them that / if their reviews had been accepted and their Kindles were on the way. The e-mails apparently did state that the 500 excerpts would indeed be posted sometime today."

From a Vine reviewer on the same thread: "OVERALL QUALITY? I have to be honest here, and I'm only speaking for myself, and not for other reviewers here: only about 20-25% of these stories were publishable from my view. 25% sounded like a college Freshman essay."

And, "We were asked to report submissions (excerpt police!!!) which violated the rules by the author attaching his or her name to the excerpt. I had three of these (amazing!) and I did report them because, had I not done so, it would have been unfair to those who stayed within the rules."

It would have been wise to search their name before submitting!

Apparently, more than half of entries were in first person, and many did not handle it well, though some did: "...I had THREE excellent ones. The author maintained total control of the text. (About 60% of my 40 excerpts were in first person, an astonishing number, I thought! Others were saying about 50%, but since the submissions weren't "targeted," it was just the luck of the draw. The ones who did NOT control the first person manuscripts were easy to spot right off... "I did this. I did that. I went over here. We ran over there." and so on."

Some were more positive than others: "Each Viner received 40 excerpts. We never saw any other reviewer comments. We are not allowed to mention any titles or even definitive plots even to other reviewers under penalty of our disqualification. I will not know until I see the excerpts posted whether another Viner agreed or disagreed with my take on the novel. I had 5 excerpts which I gave the highest possible score (20) and believe me, I would gladly read those five books today if I could."

icerose
03-16-2009, 08:21 PM
No big shocker there, Julie, it's just like the rest of the publishing world, you're going to find the vast majority to be garbage/not ready.

Julie Worth
03-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Yet another trend spotted by a reviewer: "I never had any thoughts about the "I awoke..." thing until I got into this particular process. I'll bet that a full 20% of mine began that way (and then they inevitably look out the window!) and apparently, at least a few other reviewers encountered this unique repetition as well...I'll put it this way: If I were submitting next year, my protagonist would be wide awake from the git-go, just to avoid a simple hazard."

Mr. Anonymous
03-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Suspense...is...killing...me...my...book...was...f irst...person...3...excellent...books...out...of.. .40...=...7.5%...and...7.5%...of...500...rounds... up...to...38 excellent...books.

aka, lots of competition.

*dies.*

Julie Worth
03-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Suspense...is...killing...me...my...book...was...f irst...person...3...excellent...books...out...of.. .40...=...7.5%...and...7.5%...of...500...rounds... up...to...38 excellent...books.

aka, lots of competition.

*dies.*

It's actually 7.5% out of 2000, so the odds are 4 times worse!

Mr. Anonymous
03-16-2009, 10:41 PM
It's actually 7.5% out of 2000, so the odds are 4 times worse!

Crap.

*calculates in head. Comes up with 150 excellent books.*

*dies again*

aruna
03-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Does anyone know if, once the 500 are posted, the general public can post reviews?
Anyway, I'm not staying awake to find out the results. Shutting down the PC now; see you tomorrow when we'll all be a bit wiser... good luck all!

Gardenia31
03-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Where are the results posted on the website, what's the link or do you just receive an email stating you're a quarter finalist?

Pamster
03-16-2009, 11:40 PM
I checked and my rejection from last year was timed around 9 pm on Jan 16th....I sure hope we don't have to wait til 9pm tonight to find out...I am eaten up inside from all the waiting!!! :D

Mr. Anonymous
03-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Where are the results posted on the website, what's the link or do you just receive an email stating you're a quarter finalist?

They'll be posted at www.amazon.com/abna/

You should also be getting an email.

Pamster
03-16-2009, 11:49 PM
I can't stand this waiting! DO you guys think we'll hear before business day end EST or PST? I bet it's PST darnit....

Renee Collins
03-16-2009, 11:49 PM
No results yet.

*sigh*

I've checked about five times already today. Which is bad because I told myself I wasn't going to care about this contest, that I entered as a lark. Guess I can't fool myself very well.

Gardenia31
03-16-2009, 11:52 PM
I just keep thinking even Margaret Atwood didn't get her first manuscript published.

BenPanced
03-17-2009, 12:16 AM
No results yet.

*sigh*

I've checked about five times already today. Which is bad because I told myself I wasn't going to care about this contest, that I entered as a lark. Guess I can't fool myself very well.
I'm doing better. I've checked "only" three times.

Mr. Anonymous
03-17-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm doing better. I've checked "only" three times.
Ha. I've checked probably a dozen times. Does that make me a winner or a loser? xP

Pamster
03-17-2009, 12:49 AM
I've checked about thirty times, and that's less then last year....LOL!!

icerose
03-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Ha. I've checked probably a dozen times. Does that make me a winner or a loser? xP

It just means you're excited/nervous like everyone else.

BenPanced
03-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Waiting...waiting...forever waiting...

Gardenia31
03-17-2009, 05:21 AM
when are the quarter finalists going to be posted? It's almost St. Patty's Dday...

Julie Worth
03-17-2009, 06:02 AM
when are the quarter finalists going to be posted? It's almost St. Patty's Dday...

Go ahead and begin drinking. It won't effect the results.

Mr. Anonymous
03-17-2009, 06:34 AM
10:33 p.m. (EST) over here... Still nothing...

BenPanced
03-17-2009, 08:13 AM
11:13 PM CDT. Zippo grits.

Shalanna
03-17-2009, 08:14 AM
And here it is Mr. Jerry Lewis's birthday already, and there hasn't been a peep from Amazon or ABNA or whozit about those Amazon Breakthrough Novel Quarter-finalists. What gives? They're not going to publicly announce it? There was a glitch? What?

I mean . . . they know a lot of people are watching. They have had a lot of time to get this ready. Are they going to post a list? That seems easier than e-mailing everyone who is on the list, and seems as if it would take priority. Has anyone heard or seen anything?

Shalanna
03-17-2009, 09:41 AM
THEY'VE ANNOUNCED THE QUARTER-FINALISTS!!

My book made the General Literature cut. The second reviewer is obviously in my target audience. The first reviewer doesn't like chicklitty stuff or stuff in my style, but still recommended the book. (There are a lot of funny asides--but that's because Daphne's inner life IS the story. It's her personal transformation in her way of thinking that's the point. But the reviewer isn't a fan of chick lit, I'd imagine.)

See it and review LITTLE RITUALS (a chicklitty paranormal/literary novel), if you'd like, at

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Rituals-Amazon-Breakthrough-Novel/dp/B001UG3AB4/ref=br_lf_m_1000352111_3_65_rvw?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=books&pf_rd_p=471968691&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000352111&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0KYG4E1PKEVFRAW23PS6

The main page for checking out everyone who placed is at
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=332264011

*whew*

aruna
03-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I got my email: didn't make it. Oh well. No worse off than I was before. I'll put it back to rest.
My pitch did, however, did get through so I look forward to reading what my reviewers didn't like about it.

aruna
03-17-2009, 09:52 AM
THEY'VE ANNOUNCED THE QUARTER-FINALISTS!!

My book made the General Literature cut.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Rituals-Amazon-Breakthrough-Novel/dp/B001UG3AB4/ref=br_lf_m_1000352111_3_65_rvw?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=books&pf_rd_p=471968691&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000352111&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0KYG4E1PKEVFRAW23PS6

The main page for checking out everyone who placed is at
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=332264011

*whew*

Congratulations! Now it's even more sweating and fingernail biting!

Brian Thomas Clark
03-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Didn't make it, but my pitch made it through as well. I can't wait to see what the reviewers said about my excerpt.

Congratulations to everyone who made it!!

Mr. Anonymous
03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm pretty stunned at the moment. Not only did I not make it, but neither did my pitch. I really liked my pitch. My agent loved it. ... ... ... Ah well. Life goes on, I suppose. Sorry for those who aren't continuing, and congratulations on those who are.

SirBiatch
03-17-2009, 10:51 AM
^how do you know your pitch didn't make it?

Mr. Anonymous
03-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Email.

Thank you for participating in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. We received thousands of submissions and were impressed with the incredible talent and creativity demonstrated by participating authors this year. We were therefore had to make some very difficult decisions. We regret to inform you that based on reviews of your Pitch, you were not selected to move forward to the Second Round (Excerpt Review) of the contest.

aruna
03-17-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, Mr A. Don't let that upset you, though. The pitch is nothing! Far tougher to get rejected on excerpt!

I was more than a bit surprised myself, at my excerpt not making it, since this was a book that once had a Writers House agent, who had passed it around there and said "my colleagues say you're a terrific writer" and which had had good feedback from major editors, too, and came close to being published by Random House. But maybe this shows that Random House sales team were right to reject it: it shows that readers didn't like it, and that's what counts above all. A good lesson in there.

But after the initial shock something very positive sprouted in me: after several months of drought, the energy and determination to start again with a new novel. That is good.

I'm pretty stunned at the moment. Not only did I not make it, but neither did my pitch. I really liked my pitch. My agent loved it. ... ... ... Ah well. Life goes on, I suppose. Sorry for those who aren't continuing, and congratulations on those who are.

Mr. Anonymous
03-17-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, Mr A. Don't let that upset you, though. The pitch is nothing! Far tougher to get rejected on excerpt!

I was more than a bit surprised myself, at my excerpt not making it, since this was a book that once had a Writers House agent, who had passed it around there and said "my colleagues say you're a terrific writer" and which had had good feedback from major editors, too, and came close to being published by Random House. But maybe this shows that Random House sales team were right to reject it: it shows that readers didn't like it, and that's what counts above all. A good lesson in there.

But after the initial shock something very positive sprouted in me: after several months of drought, the energy and determination to start again with a new novel. That is good.

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection (and don't give up hope. Having a writers house agent and almost getting published by random house is no small feat!) Thanks for the kind words. I still have hope for this novel - agent and I haven't yet started on revisions. But you know what else? Getting rejected has had a similar effect on me. I'm thinking I'm going to start on my next book tomorrow, or rather, today.

PastMidnight
03-17-2009, 11:53 AM
I can't believe that I've passed to the next round! If anyone's interested, it's historical fiction at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UG3C5S

Now another month to wait....

aruna
03-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Huge congratulations! I'll read it later today.

Julie Worth
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Mine didn't make it, though an earlier version made it through to the Publishers Weekly review last year. Very discouraging.

PastMidnight
03-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks, aruna! I'm a little miffed that I can't download any of the entries. Amazon seems to like my UK billing address well enough for making book purchases, but it's giving me an error message now when I try to download the shorts.

And I agree with everyone about the results being motivating, no matter what. The novel I entered is one I had withdrawn from querying. I had been feeling frustrated with the rejections and was contemplating shelving it when this contest came along. No matter what happens next, I have a renewed confidence and will get back to querying.

Pamster
03-17-2009, 03:27 PM
I am pretty disappointed not to have made it for a second year with all the work I put into revamping the book and finesing the pitch...*Sigh* I could give a hoot less what the reveiwers thought honestly and won't set myself up for this kind of upset again next year....I can't believe this book was passed over I am just stunned. So glad I went to bed last night. :(

Congratulations to those who made it. Good luck. :)

BenPanced
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Drat.

aruna
03-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I must say I am curious as to the reviews. I want to see what they didn't like about it, and if they both agree about what they didn't like. I think the beginning may have been too slow for them; a lot of character development, scene setting, which is OK if you know the what the story is about (It was my Jonestown novel) but for the thriller/suspense genre it was indeed slow; no great bloodletting in the first scene!
I wonder if they got to see the pitch as well? If they didn't. and the story had to stand on those on those teo chapters, I am sure that was it!
I'm going to get a Vine member-friend (who was not involved in ABNA this year) to do a little spying for me...

icerose
03-17-2009, 05:27 PM
My pitch didn't make it either. I was hoping to at least get a review on it. Oh well, I didn't have much time to prepare so now I can fix it up properly and query agents. Here I go. :)

ETA: Good luck to those still in!

aruna
03-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Up to now, only one of us on this thread has made it....

KosseMix
03-17-2009, 07:57 PM
My pitch made it, but my excerpt didn't... ah well, at least that's one good sign :)

My excerpt looks crappy when they formatted it, though :( Maybe that's why they didn't like it... if the reviewers say "crappy format" I'm gonna... <.<;

megoblocks
03-17-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm in :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UG3AVY

(ty post to my critters in the SFF forum)

justinai
03-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Me too. I'm surprised, though. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/B001UG3CRG/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

SirBiatch
03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I wonder if the same person who read the pitch also read the excerpts as well.

Mr. Anonymous
03-17-2009, 10:46 PM
I wonder if the same person who read the pitch also read the excerpts as well.

Nope. Different people.

Pamster
03-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Good luck to those who made it in this round. :) ;)

Klazart
03-17-2009, 11:59 PM
didn't make it either

good luck to everyone who's still in

Must say I'm surprised. If anything I was worried that the pitch wouldn't be enough, but I was very confident that if I got through to the excerpt page I would make the short list. Will be interesting to see what the main objection was.

aruna
03-18-2009, 12:33 AM
If anything I was worried that the pitch wouldn't be enough, but I was very confident that if I got through to the excerpt page I would make the short list. Will be interesting to see what the main objection was.

Me too! This "preview" was part of a partial that had led to full requests by two Writers House (the first was Dan Lazar) agents, two William Morris agents, and at least three other less prestigious agencies. The Writers House agent who finally took it on made me revise and polish the ms for months before she finally submitted it. So I was confident I'd make the 500; after that, with the full readings, it was a different matter, but this was really... unexpected. I believe that everything happens for a reason, so I'm taking it in my stride, but I too want to see what their objection was.

You can read its story on my blog (http://www.sharonmaas.blogspot.com/). Once I get the reviews I'll post those there two, ad well as the excerpt. I'd love to hear what others think!

Gardenia31
03-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Same letter, I guess this means are pitch made it, but they didn't like what they read with the following information we submitted, is that it??
Email.

Thank you for participating in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. We received thousands of submissions and were impressed with the incredible talent and creativity demonstrated by participating authors this year. We were therefore had to make some very difficult decisions. We regret to inform you that based on reviews of your Pitch, you were not selected to move forward to the Second Round (Excerpt Review) of the contest.

Gardenia31
03-18-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, but have yet to see my review, when will I be able to read it? Might you or anyone on the board know, the form letter sent said within the next couple of weeks I would receive an email...
My pitch made it, but my excerpt didn't... ah well, at least that's one good sign :)

My excerpt looks crappy when they formatted it, though :( Maybe that's why they didn't like it... if the reviewers say "crappy format" I'm gonna... <.<;

aruna
03-18-2009, 01:00 AM
This is what mine said:

Your Excerpt was reviewed by two Amazon Vine Reviewers, however, and their feedback will be made available to you via your CreateSpace ABNA Dashboard in the coming weeks. You will receive an e-mail from CreateSpace to let you know when these reviews are available.

Lyra
03-18-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm in :-)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UG3AVO

But as I'm in the UK, I can't download any entries, which is more than a little frustrating. The reviews are extremely puzzling. I wondered if they were reading two books at once as they didn't sound much like mine.

Congrats to those who also got through.

icerose
03-18-2009, 02:08 AM
Same letter, I guess this means are pitch made it, but they didn't like what they read with the following information we submitted, is that it??

No that means the pitch just plain didn't make it, you weren't narrowed down to the 2k. Mine didn't either.

Soccer Mom
03-18-2009, 02:49 AM
For those who did make it in, here is a thread in Accomplishments to boast (and beg folks to come and vote for you!)

Feel free to post away in this thread here:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135218

Gardenia31
03-18-2009, 06:48 AM
So then there won't be any review of our pitch? Even though the email said that there will be a review in the coming weeks? (ssorry, confused.)
No that means the pitch just plain didn't make it, you weren't narrowed down to the 2k. Mine didn't either.

icerose
03-18-2009, 07:34 AM
For those who did make it in, here is a thread in Accomplishments to boast (and beg folks to come and vote for you!)

Feel free to post away in this thread here:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135218

The voting won't be until the final round and between 3 entries. Nothing like last year, thank goodness!!!

icerose
03-18-2009, 07:35 AM
So then there won't be any review of our pitch? Even though the email said that there will be a review in the coming weeks? (ssorry, confused.)

If your e-mail says the review will be coming, then that means you got into the 2k, if it doesn't say anything about reviews and says it was rejected based on your pitch then you didn't and no reviews coming.

Soccer Mom
03-18-2009, 07:59 AM
The voting won't be until the final round and between 3 entries. Nothing like last year, thank goodness!!!

Oh, but I'm thinking all hopefully and stuff that all 3 will be members of AW. :D

Renee Collins
03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Made it into the 2000, but not the 500.

Ah well. I actually expected that to happen. My story is YA with a just a bit pf paranormal, so I wasn't sure where to put it. It didn't seem like it fit in Fantasy, so in the end, I decided on putting it in General Literature. The tone of my book is very YA, so maybe it turned off my excerpt readers, who were looking for something with a more literary style.

Or maybe my writing wasn't good enough. :) Either way, moving on.

Tigercub
03-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Got my rejection today. :-( Sigh. My pitch didn't upload correctly, though. Only half got there. Maybe it would have done better if they'd gotten the entire pitch, but maybe not. I am really beginning to think that this is a trunk novel, which is a shame because I like the story.

So, not shocked at being kicked to the curb, but rejection is always depressing.

Congrats and good luck to all who did make it through the first filter.

PastMidnight
03-18-2009, 12:51 PM

But, from what I understand, the reviews on our pages might be looked at and taken into account when choosing semi-finalists. It was somewhere in the Contest Rules or FAQs. No actual voting at this stage, but a pile of good reviews are, well, good.

aruna
03-18-2009, 06:45 PM
I think, though, that it said the PW and Vine reviews will be taken into account. Is it even possible for the public to review?
I personally think it should be only the above, because it's really not fair to have it slanted in favour of those who can round up all their friends-and-relatives, and those who refrain from doing so or who don't have many! I know I wouldn't want to go begging for reviews if I were in the US. And it's very much anti-US-residents, because most of our friends and relatives (I mean, us international people) aren't even allowed to write reviews on amazon.com, if we haven't shopped there.
Considering the hundreds I've spent on amazon.co.uk that is really stupid. But I refuse to buy something from amazon.com, just so as to write reviews or whatever.

PastMidnight
03-18-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm sure it's weighted more in favour of the PW reviews and the "expert" reviews. If I had to guess, I'd say they'd look at the customer reviews just in the case of ties. And I'm hoping that they're looking for the quality of the reviews rather than the quantity. Surely five well-written and positive reviews count more than twenty five mixed reviews or twenty five reviews along the lines of "Dude, you so rock!" or "Honey, your father and I are so proud of you!".

Gardenia31
03-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Gotcha! Still-damn!
If your e-mail says the review will be coming, then that means you got into the 2k, if it doesn't say anything about reviews and says it was rejected based on your pitch then you didn't and no reviews coming.

Pamster
03-19-2009, 04:48 AM
Not so fast everyone....You might NOT have actually made the 2000 round...Amazon sent this to me tonight:

"Pamela,

We mistakenly sent you a message on Monday stating "Your Excerpt was reviewed by two Amazon Vine Reviewers, however, and their feedback will be made available to you via your CreateSpace ABNA Dashboard in the coming weeks."

We regret to inform you that based on reviews of your Pitch, you were not selected to move forward to the Second Round (Excerpt Review) of the contest. You will therefore not have reviews of your Excerpt posted in your CreateSpace ABNA Dashboard. We sincerely apologize for this notification error and regret any confusion it may have caused.

We hope you will accept a $5 electronic gift card which you can use for any Amazon purchase along with our apology. To use this gift card, place items you wish to purchase in your Amazon cart and begin checkout. Before you click "Place your order", enter your gift code (listed below) in the space provided and $5 will be credited towards your purchase."

So now I feel really bad, my pitch wasn't good enough, and my excerpt was never even looked at let alone have two reviews of it done and on the way to my createspace dashboard. I am so disappointed words fail me...

Renee Collins
03-19-2009, 05:02 AM
:( Aw, Pamster. That sucks.

Pamster
03-19-2009, 05:25 AM
I know, it's like getting rejected twice as bad as I thought originally I had been. Thanks Renee, nothing can change the fact that this email tonight hurt ten times worse then yesterday's....

Shalanna
03-19-2009, 05:30 AM
:Hug2:Pamster--and anyone else who got this news today--
I feel terrible about what happened . . . and I'm amazed that this could happen. Anyone who received this disappointing news as a result of a mistake (!!! Good Gravy !!!) on the part of someone on the coordinating team--I feel for you, and I think it was simply awful that this happened. There are no words, really. I've had such a rollercoaster ride in my writing career (as well as in my "day job" career) that I know how it feels to
have the floor drop out from under you. ((HUGS)) I know there's nothing I can tell you to make you feel any better.

Get back out there and query some agents . . . go to conferences and have interviews with editors . . . get back into the game full force. Bounce back and be happier than before. It's the best revenge. *wry grin*

Lordy, lordy. The leprechauns certainly had their fun with this, methinks!! (Never schedule an important event near Irish drinking day!! Of course, some would claim that EVERY day is "Irish drinking day.")

aruna
03-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Gosh, that's just AWFUL. I can't imagine how they could make such a mistake.
BUT.... like Shannala says, let this be a reason to bounce back with even more determination. Don't let Amazon beat you!

Pamster
03-20-2009, 12:25 AM
I know you're both right, I just have no motivation to do anything writing wise at the moment, I think it's because I had to get off a drug I was taking for bipolar II and start on a new one due to stupid insurance not covering the one I was stable on, anymore. A week later of migraines and then toss in a friend passing away and I just don't feel like writing on my fiction at all. :( I know it's a phase and will pass, but right now it's still overwhelming me at times. :P

icerose
03-20-2009, 02:13 AM
Don't feel bad Pam, on the bright side they rejected your pitch and not your writing.

Heck, I can't even interest anyone to beta for me lol.

SirBiatch
03-20-2009, 02:47 AM
Don't feel bad Pam, on the bright side they rejected your pitch and not your writing.

exactly. In a way, it's actually better. Because your writing could still be very solid. If they didn't like your idea from the get-go, there's nothing you can do about that. You could write like Jesus and you'd still be rejected.

So the thing is to re-evaluate the concept/idea of your book. Is it something that someone could read? nevermind some random Amazon reviewer. If the answer is 'yes', keep plugging away. If 'no', then try writing something else and come back with mo fiyah.

aruna
03-20-2009, 10:22 PM
My "spy", a Vine reviewer, sent me the follwing in an email, cut and pasetd fromthe ABNA Vine reviewer board, sent to her specifically to cheer me up!

reviewed those 40 excerpts. Out of all of them, there were a maximum
of three I'd actually want to pay money for to read. I was kind of
thrilled to see that nine of my reviews were featured in the top 500,
but I was MAJORLY DISAPPOINTED that the very best book, the one I loved
more than any of them and thought was a real winner, did not make the cut.

The only thing I can figure out is that it just didn't float into a
typical genre. The writing was so sophisticated and funny, and I was
just dying for a chance to read the rest of the book. But it didn't make
it into the top 500! I cannot. BE. LIEVE IT!

I can't remember what I agreed not to say, so I guess I should not
mention the work by name. But I wish I could tell that author that the
work was just majorly awesome. I guess s/he will see my review, even
though the cut was not made. Man, I want to see that book published. I'm
dying to read the rest of it!

On one of the books I reviewed, I guess my talking between the lines to
say how mediocre I thought it was--an effort not to hurt the writer's
feelings while pointing out the weaknesses of the writing--went over
everyone's head. I couldn't believe it made it into the top 500. I wish
I could swap that one for the one I wanted to read!

Reviewer B says:

I too am disappointed one of mine didn't make it. It sounds like we had
the same excerpt. It was very witty, sophisticated, and the characters
were so interesting and fusty in a British way. However, the other
reviewer didn't like it or didn't get it.

I could remain depressed about it because it was that good. On the other
hand, I firmly believe that talent like that will get noticed at some
point and by someone with the ability to see it honored as it should be.

Chin up, my friend. There's always room at the top!

Posted on Mar 19, 2009 4:32 PM PDT
Reviewer C says:
It seems most of us had at least one favorite excerpt that didn't make
it into the 500. I can only be glad that I made such positive statements
to the authors of those excerpts. They will know that their book has
potential and hopefully they will try even harder for publication. Just
think, if we were so impressed with just the first 5,000 words someone
in a publishing house will read those same words and be as impressed as
we were. I hold out high hopes for my 5 stars. Maybe not through this
contest, but somewhere down the road.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2009 5:07 PM PDT
Reviewer A says:
Yeah, we may have. TAT? It was excellent! I hope you're right. So many
of those excerpts I read were so formulaic and mediocre, and I just hope
the really good writers who break out of the mold don't get lost in the
shuffle. I think at least eleven of my excerpts had a character named
Jack, for example. Definitely not Snopes material....

Gardenia31
03-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Don't worry. I haven't written anything in about 3 weeks-the week before a brain mri and the two after. Take a break, recharge your battery then get on with it!
I know you're both right, I just have no motivation to do anything writing wise at the moment, I think it's because I had to get off a drug I was taking for bipolar II and start on a new one due to stupid insurance not covering the one I was stable on, anymore. A week later of migraines and then toss in a friend passing away and I just don't feel like writing on my fiction at all. :( I know it's a phase and will pass, but right now it's still overwhelming me at times. :P

frisco
03-21-2009, 10:49 AM
well I too was rejected by the contest, but I refuse to let it get me down or beat me. I'm just going to work even harder on making the book better and go agent hunting. I will start on my next book while waiting for a response to this one. Rejection is all part of the writing process. I'm going to channel my energy to doing better work--might even start my own website like most writers have. I have a ton of ideas and a few of them might even be decent. I won't know unless I give it every thing i've got to succeed.

heyjude
03-21-2009, 03:52 PM
So sorry to those who didn't make it. Many congratulations to those who did!

JulieHowe
03-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I wasn't finished with mine in time to enter it into the Amazon contest. I did enter another contest that only asked for the first 50 pages of a novel-in-progress (plus a $25 entry fee). It's been a month, and they haven't sent back my acknowledgment postcard, nor have they cashed my check.

So my mind is playing tricks on me, and my ego is telling me that my work is so bad that they're going to send me everything back, including my uncashed check, with a note telling me that I should consider another career, preferably one that doesn't involve the use of compound words.

We (writers) are sensitive and moody creatures. By the way, if anyone is interested in that contest, the deadline has passed for this year, but it's sponsored by a legitimate organization - the James Jones Fellowship Contest. (He wrote 'From Here to Eternity.')

Musicsmysoul
03-24-2009, 03:12 AM
Congrats to those who are in the top 500! My dad made it... hopefully he makes the next cut. As an aspiring writer myself...it certainly is inspiring to see his hard work and determination all of these years finally pay off!

It is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UG39AQ if anyone is interested!

Would love to read others... who else made it?

Heather

Horseshoes
03-24-2009, 03:44 AM
Heather,
Good for your papa. Verr cool for you to be proud of him, too. Look up in this thread. I think SoccerMom built a promo thread for ABNA in the appropriate section.

PastMidnight
03-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Right here! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135218 We've all posted our links and are shamelessly pleading for reviews. :)

aruna
04-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Well, I finally got my reviews.

This was the bad one:

ABNA Expert Reviewer
This excerpt reads much like a diary, giving insight into the characters and the life of the narrator of the story. The writing is often detailed, often understated and the strength of this piece. I would be interested in seeing how the plot develops throughout the novel.

This was the good one:

ABNA Expert Reviewer
I found his excerpt to be one of the best I've read. It contains such rich, vivid imagery. I was really mesmerized by the story.

I would love to find out what the character of Barbara brings to the story. Zena seems like a likable, sympathetic character and the fact that we learn so early on of her loss, brings a great deal of emotion immediately to the story. This was a great way to get the interest level of the reader on the side of the story without being manipulative. I could immediately feel the impact of that emotion.

The writing is excellent. I didn't find a single spelling error, which is one of my pet peeves. The author has impeccable style. I would love to read more.

So, it seems it was nothing particular that they hated and I just lost on points. Fair enough, though I think the first reviewer didn't nmake much effort at all... for that, a Kindle!

icerose
04-03-2009, 06:16 PM
The second one is rather reassuring though, Aruna, pity yours didn't make it through. I hope you have much publishing success.

aruna
04-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Yes, that was nice... a pity I didn't get two reviewers with such enthusiasm! It just shows that there really is an element of luck in these things. Reading is so subective...

PastMidnight
04-07-2009, 11:20 AM
What's obnoxious, though, is reading through some of the reviews of the quarterfinalists, they don't all have two glowing reviews. In fact, some of the quarterfinalists have one of their reviews saying that the writing is poor, the characters are flat and the reader wasn't interested in the story. Were those reviewers still giving five stars despite such an obviously poor review? Just based on the tone of the reviews themselves, I wonder if the assigning of stars was standardized in any way. I understand that reading is subjective, but they way stars are assigned based on that subjectivity, well that should be a little more concrete. To have two positive reviews for aruna's entry and then to have one positive and one very negative review, as some of the quarterfinalists do, one can't help but wonder how this all works...

aruna
04-08-2009, 05:05 PM
The person who wrote that first "review" (for me it is a comment, not a review) doesn't seem to have much of a clue. He/She says it reads like a diary, whereas the opposite is the case... it is someone looking back on past events, not recording events say by day as they happen, which is what I understand as a diary. In fact, the very first sentence of the book it "When it was all over I remembered...." which is obviously not a diary!

Exir
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
The person who wrote that first "review" (for me it is a comment, not a review) doesn't seem to have much of a clue. He/She says it reads like a diary, whereas the opposite is the case... it is someone looking back on past events, not recording events say by day as they happen, which is what I understand as a diary. In fact, the very first sentence of the book it "When it was all over I remembered...." which is obviously not a diary!

I've heard that last year's Amazon contest was really unprofessional, with the reviews being as if the reviewers have run out of time, and are just skimming.

Is that true?