PDA

View Full Version : Stunned

citymouse
11-13-2008, 08:40 PM
I suppose this is going to sound boastful but I just got an email from an author who bought all three of my novels to give as a Christmas gift to a friend.
I've never met this man nor his friend. Frankly I'm stunned. No one has ever done that before.
I don't push my books in any of the AW forums so I don't think I can be accused of an over weaned ego. I simply had to tell someone! Has anyone had this happen? Is it common behavior among authors?
C

melaniehoo
11-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Congrats, what a nice surprise. :)

JeanneTGC
11-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Not boastful, way cool! Congrats, that's wonderful! I'm sure it happens, but it's nice to KNOW it happens. The rest of us can but hope, right? And here's to many more doing the same with your books!

Inkyhoof
11-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Bastful? Are you kidding?

That's great! :)

Phaeal
11-13-2008, 10:05 PM
The author gets major karma points for having taken the time to write you about his purchase. Get some karma points of your own by writing back a nice thank you email. Maybe check out the author's books. If you like them, this could be the start of a beautiful relationship.

Let no networking opportunity go by. :)

regdog
11-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Congrats

c2ckim
11-13-2008, 10:25 PM
What a way to start the holidays! You have to write him back and thank him. Looks like you are going to have a memorible holiday season. Congrats to you!!

citymouse
11-14-2008, 12:34 AM
I've already emailed a thank you. I've also ordered what looks like a good read.
As for networking, you're spot on. A writer friend told me the same thing. She said it may smack of opportunism but everyone knows the game. So it's no foul, no harm.
C

The author gets major karma points for having taken the time to write you about his purchase. Get some karma points of your own by writing back a nice thank you email. Maybe check out the author's books. If you like them, this could be the start of a beautiful relationship.

Let no networking opportunity go by. :)

stormie
11-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Not at all boastful. I'd say wonderful news!

gypsyscarlett
11-14-2008, 01:24 AM
It's not at all boastful. You have every right to be thrilled by news like that! :)

beautiation
11-14-2008, 09:52 AM
That's brilliant, well done!

triceretops
11-14-2008, 09:58 AM
citymouse, no one is going to chap your hide for displaying your books on AW. We even have a library of AW authors, and it's damn interesting read, if not informative about whose publishing who. I absolutely believe in AW writers supporting and purchasing group friends here. Heck, if not for AW, I would have made zero sales, since my entire family/relatives have passed on.

So please share your book with us. We're just as proud!

Tri

Del
11-14-2008, 09:58 AM
It is nice to feel appreciated. It is nicer to know you are. They never would have bothered if you hadn't given them more than just a book. Congratulations. It is a beautiful thing. Thanks for sharing.

Snowstorm
11-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Citymouse, even if it were boastful, do it! (It's not.) Congrats and how cool for you.

L M Ashton
11-14-2008, 04:47 PM
citymouse, I agree with Triceratops. Please do let us know what you've written. Think about putting links with (small) covers in your signature. List yourself in the AW library. This is a writers site. It's perfectly acceptable!

kct webber
11-14-2008, 05:36 PM
What LM said. And Congrats! :D

tehuti88
11-14-2008, 08:33 PM
How nice! It must've felt really good to hear that. :)

Robin Bayne
11-14-2008, 09:07 PM
That's very nice!!

I've had former co-workers let me know they have given a set of my books to their wife or girlfriend, but never another author.

yay!

IceCreamEmpress
11-14-2008, 10:46 PM
That's great feedback. I don't think it's "boastful" at all to share it here--you're celebrating well-earned success. That's what we're all working toward. ;) Yay!