Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is the delisted book self-published? It's possible that Borders removed it because they believed it was from a conventional publisher then discovered it was not. I know that's happened with certain titles at US Borders stores.

Just a best-guess, though.

Maryn

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
The Borders online catalog is partnered with Amazon. Check to see if the book is listed there. It should have appeared at the same time. If it is gone from both sites then contact Amazon CS for an explanation.

Most POD companies contract to have their books listed with online catalogs like Barnes&Noble, Amazon, Borders, et al. If your book is one of these you need to contact your book rep.

C

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
My book, which has only been out a couple of months seems to have been delisted from Borders.

It was here: http://www.borders.co.uk/book/russian-bride-guide/1103965/

And now it isn't. A ISBN search reveals no match, as does an author search.

Has anyone encountered this? Or can anyone otherwise shed any light on it?

Manny,

I touched on this issue in an article on my own site this week after I read the article listed below in The bookseller.

I have visited my own local Borders and noticed a distinct 'destocking' on the shelves and my own article and findings at Borders would suggest that they are indeed trimming back on what they physically carry as well as their listed on-line catalogue.

I checked just this morning, my own book 'Academy', which is still showing, however, I know of two other authors who have published in the past two months, and they have discovered that their book listings have been removed.

http://mickrooney.blogspot.com/2008/11/borders-continued-downturn.html

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/70507-distributor-cautions-on-borders-us.html

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. My third book was printed though Book Surge in 2007. Before it came out I asked the CS rep if it would be listed with B&N? I got an indulgent chuckle as I was informed that Amz doesn't do business with the competition. Since that book is listed on both the Amazon and Borders sites I naturally concluded that their partnership was still intact. Perhaps they continue some sort of collaboration in regards Book Surge products.
C

That used to be the case, but Borders now operates its own websites and catalogs.

- Victoria

Manny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dysonforums.com
Yes it is still on Amazon, Tesco, B&N and everywhere else.

Maryn - Yes its a Lulu publication.

I have written to Borders office in London today to ask them about it. It will be interesting to see if they reply.

Manny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dysonforums.com
Having just read Mick's links, it looks like Borders are in financial trouble.

Perhaps they are delisting books from sources who will not grant them extended credit or accept printing costs only in the event of a further decline?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Having just read Mick's links, it looks like Borders [is] in financial trouble.

. . .
Yes, that has been a developing story for some time. The company laid off a lot of workers several months ago (which might have been what was in the links). Given the current economic situation, bankruptcy might not be out of the question.

I cannot even get a call back from one of the local stores (which last spring laid off its community relations manager) about a book I want to get into their system (via a Borders Inventory Control Number, BINC). But in February, the store took 100 copies of another of my books and corporate paid for the lot of them in April. I would not want to take that risk now.

--Ken

Manny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dysonforums.com
UK Borders relisted the book, I am waiting for US Borders to do the same. No explanation, no reply to mailed letter but it seems to have worked.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You may want to check out the Lulu forum, many Lulu lauthors have reported difficulties getting listed outside of Amazon.com

Status
Not open for further replies.