Broke? Move to Alaska

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
So Anchorage, Alaska's getting its first Target store, according to the newsletter I just received from the Anchorage Economic Development agency. Do they worry about a dismal economy and not enough shopper turnout?

Of course not. Here's why:

"While the nation feels the pinch of a tightening economy, Alaskans received an Alaska Permanent Fund dividend and an energy relief rebate for a total of $3,269 per resident in September. With a family of four receiving a little more than $13,000, retailers aggressively lured shoppers in with discounts."

So all that oil and energy in Alaska means a nice return to residents. I don't begrudge the Alaskans but, seriously, it would be nice if some of that crude flowed downhill, into the Northeast.

Had to share.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
So Anchorage, Alaska's getting its first Target store, according to the newsletter I just received from the Anchorage Economic Development agency. Do they worry about a dismal economy and not enough shopper turnout?
You know, I keep hearing about poor shopper turnout and maybe for the premium retailers like Macy's and things like that it's a reality.

But we went to a few stores on Saturday, Target included, and the checkout lines were packed. One store we simply left because we didn't want to stand in line.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
have had my sights on Alaska for many years, particularly the Aleutian Islands.
Heard the weather is nice and miserable there :) Many polar bears about to pat too.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've thought about it as well. My brother is moving up there with his family next spring. His inlaws already live there.

He's going to be our guinea pig, LOL. But we are thinking seriously about it, though the dividend has nothing to do with it. That would just be the icing on the cake.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
That's too chilly for me, and too far from the nearest Nascar track.

Yes, we'd have to sacrifice. We'd also get no Yankee games and be forced to invest in a satellite dish.
But $3000 some odd a person? That's every year ... EVERY YEAR.
I think I could adjust - hell, start your own NASCAR event with the money you get in dividends!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That dividend check varies wildly, Mela. The lowest I heard of was $200 per person, so it's not 3k a year per person every year.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I don't wanna move there...but I don't wanna live here...and wow.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...in Saudi Arabia dividend checks are really huge, if memory serves me correctly.
The climate there is a bit different than in Alaska, though.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
It is not cheap to live there. For food...housing....and the like. Plus, you got all that cold. Burrrrrrr.

You have to live there a year before you are allowed to draw on the fund.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...in Saudi Arabia dividend checks are really huge, if memory serves me correctly.
The climate there is a bit different than in Alaska, though.

Just a bit. :ROFL:

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, for me, the no Yankee games would be put in the Pros column.

:D

Ouch!
Well, truth be told, I'm not the one who'd be going through withdrawal but I would have to suffer via spousal association through the long non-Yankee summer

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
That dividend check varies wildly, Mela. The lowest I heard of was $200 per person, so it's not 3k a year per person every year.

Oh, then I guess Alaska oil was having a really good year this time around.
And they don't pay state taxes up there either, do they?

My stepson lived in Alaska for a while - he was, I think 3 hours from Juneau and could only food shop once a month. So he and his girlfriend would have to get on a bus, travel 3 hours, plan on buying enough for the month, and trek back home another 3 hours.

Given that, it's no picnic.
Still, that's a nice chunk of money in this economy.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
*Sigh*

Why couldn't they offer those kind of incentives to move to Hawaii? (Okay, okay, I know it's because it's Hawaii, but still....)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, then I guess Alaska oil was having a really good year this time around.
And they don't pay state taxes up there either, do they?

My stepson lived in Alaska for a while - he was, I think 3 hours from Juneau and could only food shop once a month. So he and his girlfriend would have to get on a bus, travel 3 hours, plan on buying enough for the month, and trek back home another 3 hours.

Given that, it's no picnic.
Still, that's a nice chunk of money in this economy.

Yeah, no state sales tax. And we have no intention of living THAT far from anywhere. We're looking at Anchorage. No reason to go food shopping only once a month unless you want to, then. :D My brother's inlaws live in/near Wasilla, and I don't think they have issues like that, either.

*shrug*

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think moving to Hawaii is sort of its own incentive...

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
*Sigh*

Why couldn't they offer those kind of incentives to move to Hawaii? (Okay, okay, I know it's because it's Hawaii, but still....)

No crude pumping in Hawaii, Pagey's.
Maybe they could find a way to harness the power of volcanic energy.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, no state sales tax. And we have no intention of living THAT far from anywhere. We're looking at Anchorage. No reason to go food shopping only once a month unless you want to, then. :D My brother's inlaws live in/near Wasilla, and I don't think they have issues like that, either.

*shrug*

You know, now that I think about it, I can't remember why they did it once a month. It was almost 10 years ago. I know they didn't have a car so they had to rely on public transportation and they were kind of remote, so I think it had to do with the fact that it was such a long trek, they opted to only do it once a month.