Happy Mother's Day!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:partyguy: Thanks Jenna. (will play the concerned mother now) And when are you going to get to use that term? (inquiring minds want to know)..;)

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you, Jenna!

And Happy Mother's Day to all of you mommies of AW! Hope you all have a wonderful day!

So, far mine has been good. My kids remembered to tell me Happy Mother's Day, but not my dearest husband. He woke up, started his usual b*tching, screaming through the house, "Where's my damn brush!". No, "Good Morning, dear. Happy Mother's day. You're such a good mother to our children..", nothing. I got tired of listening to his mouth and told him to go to his room and go back to bed. He did. I haven't seen him since. Thank God he has band practice t'day! Yay! :Clap:

15.gif
Happy Mother's Day!
15.gif

rich

True story:

My mother-in-law plays the horses almost daily. She actually has a phone account with Off-Track Betting. She sits in front of her TV and can tune in just about every track in the country. On Derby Day, she and my wife--another mother--spend hours of the phone discussing horses, jockeys, owners, trainers who'll participate in the run for the roses. My wife, starting on Friday, buys three papers and pours through the sport sections. She also spends a few hours on the Web to pick up last minute info.
For a number of years she worked once a week at Belmont and Aquaduct as a paramutuel clerk--so she does know something about the sport. She only bets the triple crown races and the most she's ever lost on all three races combines is 20 bucks. My mo-in-law, on a bad day, usually loses about 5 bucks.

Yesterday, just before the race, while my wife was at OTB putting in her master plan, my mo-in-law called. The conversation was the same as every other Derby Day.

"What's she doing at OTB? I could've just phoned her bet in."

My reply is always, "Who knows? She's your daughter." Fact is, my wife won't do it because if she loses her mother won't take her money. That's not sporting.

We do go to the track maybe once a year. I find it boring. You wait around for a half hour between races then watch the horses run for 2 minutes. Out of familial duty I do condescend to maybe one trip a year to Bellmont Park some 20 minutes away. (Probably less out of familial duty and more to avoid her saying, "You never take my anyplace.")

Anyway, while we're on the phone she asked me if I wanted to place a bet. "Why not?" I said. Hell, if I don't have to wait on a line and I don't have to be at the track....

I told her to pick me a long-odds crazy-acting horse. She replied--and this is the God's honest truth--"He's not in the race."

"Who's not in the race?"

"Crazy Horse. He won last week at Aquaduct."

"No," I said, "give me a crazy name in the race, or maybe a horse who does something crazy before he's in the gate."

There was some shuffling of newspapers then she said. There's a funny name...sounds Italian. She gave me a name which she mispronounced. It sounded like a mafia boss who allegedly aided JFK in his run for president.

"Good show, Mo." Put five bucks on him.

"To show?"

"To win, to win! With a name like that his owner probably has the race fixed."

My horse, Giacamo, came in first, paid $102.00 on a two-buck bet.

I don't bet much but I'm kind of scientific when I do. One time we were at a dog track in Florida. I looked over the field of dogs, watching for something odd to happen. The number 5 dog suddenly squatted and took a dump right near the gate. I bet him, he paid well. Any fool should've picked him--after that huge dump he was that much lighter.

Happy Mother's Day!

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Jenna - THANK YOU!

Cheers to all the moms here too.

Celeste - Come on over to my house where mothers are being revered. It only took 14 years to train him, but my husband's finally got it down: don't make me make ANY decisions all day. Not one. And in return, I promise to like everything done for me, given to me and said to me. So far, so good.

Of course, I still got up with the youngest at 5:45 but he's just too darn cute (and tells me "I love you better" all the time - this morning, he looked over his shoulder at my husband in bed and then said, "I love you better than Daddy." Wooo! I laughed and said, nah, that's okay. You can love us both the same. William - that poem about what kids say - that was one of them.)

Newspapers, china, fruit, coffee and juice on the dining room table for me. One kid off to Sunday school, the other two waiting to help hubby serve me. AND IT'S NOT SNOWING! (Actually, it's gorgeous outside).

Lunch, bike ride, nap, dinner, family movie (Spaceballs). QUIET, SIMPLE DAY.

I'm in heaven, and I didn't have to die. Now that's a good deal.

I know that I'm very, very, very lucky. And I'm very grateful.

Everyone, have a super day.

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by mommie4a

Celeste - Come on over to my house where mothers are being revered. It only took 14 years to train him, but my husband's finally got it down: don't make me make ANY decisions all day. Not one. And in return, I promise to like everything done for me, given to me and said to me. So far, so good.

Just for him, I put on one of my favorite T-shirts. It's light green, with pink glitter lettering that says, "I can only please ONE person a day. Today is NOT your day, and tomorrow doesn't look any better." :LilLove:

Speaking of getting lucky on a bet at the horse track...

Quite some years ago, my neighbors talked me into going to the horse track with them. I won $80 on a two dollar bet! It was so cool! My neighbor won $1250! :Thumbs:

Shiny_Penguin

665:Neighbor of the Beast
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bellaonline.com
Thank you, Jenna!

My boys woke us up with the smoke alarm at about 7:30. Somehow making toast set it off.:Wha: So I had toast for breakfast. Hubby says he is sicker than me (we both have these sinus infections) so he is still in bed, where he was all day yesterday as well. Whenever he is sick, the whole world stops. If I'm sick.. Oh well, tough luck. Some days it stinks to be the mommy!

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Thank you, Jenna! That was very sweet of you. :Hug2:

I have a lovely bouquet of roses and carnations. Will have fun with the grandkids later. Today--beautiful weather, being with the ones I love most in the world, all is well. At least for the moment. LOL

Happy mother's day to all the other mommies! :LilLove:

Kappie

Registered
Reaction score
Jenna thank you and Happy Mother's Day to all!

I'm pretty lucky I woke up to heart shaped waffles, fruit and bacon and my kids got me some fuzzy pink slippers and my husband gave me a beautiful silver locket with both my kiddos pictures inside , sigh , these are the days I treasure being a mommy. Well, I always love being a Mom but there are days when the laundry is overflowing, the lunch is burning, my daughters are trying to kill one another and my husband calls and says he's working late that I have to really stop and remember why I love being a mom.;)

Rich, that is a great horse story. The Kentucky Derby is pretty much a religion in my family, we're all from Kentucky and I thought yesterday that horse made some people a nice bundle! Good for you:)

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shiny_Penguin

Whenever he is sick, the whole world stops. If I'm sick.. Oh well, tough luck.

Isn't it amazing how that is?!! Argh!
7.gif

Gosh! After reading about all the sweet things all your hubbies have done for you this morning -- flowers, breakfast in bed, pink fuzzy slippers.... I think I need to trade mine in!

Mine should be doing this...
23.gif
or this...
18.gif
Or this...
16.gif
or....
9.gif

I'm jealous! Lol... ;)

That's all right. Phooey on him. The kids and me will have a great day without him. After all, it's Mother's Day, I'll take the kids out and we'll have fun. Yeah!

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
And besides, I just remembered... Father's Day is coming up! Ha!
3.gif

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a piece of mine published a few years back in our newspaper for a special Mother's Day edition when Who Wants to be a Millionaire was popular:

LET'S PLAY: WHO WANTS TO BE A MOTHER?

Hi. I'm Regis Philbin and it's time to play Who Wants to be a Mother?
Our ten contestants have been flown here from all over the United States. They ALL think they have what it takes to be a mother. Well, we'll find out, won't we? They are: Della Drinksalot from Delaware, Harriet Homebody from Hawaii, Paula Pullsherhair-out from Pennsylvania, Connie Cooksallday from Connecticut, Stella Singleton from South Carolina, Fannie Fertile from Florida, Ruthie Runsamuck from Rhode Island, Ima Uptothetask from Idaho, Kelly Kidsaregreat from Kansas and Warren Withmyex from Wisconsin. Hey, how'd he get in there? Let's begin with the Fastest Finger. Put the following events in the order in which they occur beginning with the most recent:

A. Baby gets his first tooth.
B. Baby spits his food all over his mother.
C. Baby tinkles on the potty for the first time.
D. Baby asks for the keys to the car.

The correct order is-- well, there is no correct order because, as we all know, babies are very individual in their development. Therefore, I'll just have to CHOOSE someone to be in the hotseat. Let's see, how about you, Della Drinksalot. Hi, Della."

"Hi, Regis."

"Ready to play Who Wants To Be A Mother?"

"I guess so."

"You don't sound so sure."

"I could use a drink right now." (She sips from her glass.) "Hey, this is WATER!"

"Okay, Della, pull yourself together. LET'S PLAY! (Loud music issues forth) Here's your first question which is worth a box of diapers: According to the popular nursery rhyme, Jack and Jill Went Up the Hill to fetch what?

A. A stick.
B. A pail of water.
C. A bone.
D. Timmy and Lassie.

Well, Della, what's your answer?"

"Ooh, ooh, I know this one. A six pack!"

"No, I'm sorry, that's not right. In fact, it isn't even one of the choices. You can go now, Della. Okay, let's do another Fastest Finger. Put these events in the order in which they occur in a toddler's mother's day, beginning with the most frequent:

A. A trip to McDonald's.
B. A trip to the bathroom.
C. A trip to the grocery store.
D. A trip over some toys.

Oops, once again there is NO correct answer. Individual mothers may vary
in their responses. That's okay, I'll just select another contestant. How about someone from Rhode Island; I think that's somewhere on the East Coast. Come on up here Ruthie Runsamuck!"

“Hi, Regis!"

"Hello, Ruthie. Want to win those diapers?"

“Sure.”

"LET'S PLAY! For that superduper box of diapers, here's your question: If you're the mother of a preschooler, the most common word you hear is: A. Why?
B. No!
C. More!
D. Gimme!

What d'ya think, Ruthie?"

"Hmm, I don't know. I hear ALL of those."

"Close enough! You get the diapers! Let's move on to the next prize. For a family dinner at McDonald's, complete this sentence: Having a root canal is easier than:

A. Getting kids up for school each morning.
B. Getting kids to go to bed at night.
C. Getting kids to clean their rooms.
D. All of the above.

Ruthie?"

"I'll go with D."

"Right you are! You're on a roll, Ruthie! And you haven't even had to use a lifeline! If you keep answering correctly, you COULD go all the way up to the TOP PRIZE!"

"You mean ONE MILLION DOLLARS?"

"No, that's a different game. The top prize here is LOAF FOR A DAY. You get to lie on the couch while your husband does all the housework and takes care of the kids.”

“Wow! That sounds great to me.”

“Great! Now, let's play for the next prize--A six-month supply of toothpaste, soap, shampoo, tissues, cough medicine and Tylenol. The expression most used by teenagers is:

A. Not now!
B. Mom, you're embarrassing me!
C. Stay out of my room!
D. ##@$%* You!

Well, Ruthie?"

“Hmm. I think I’m gonna have to use a lifeline for this one. I want to phone a friend."

"Okay. Who are you going to call??"

"My psychiatrist."

"O-kay. You know what, Ruthie, let's just give you the prize. In fact, let's just say you've won it all! You've got what it takes to be a mother!"
"I do?"

"Absolutely! You seem to have all the answers, or at least most of them. Plus, you know who to turn to for a lifeline if you're stuck.

Well, that's all the time we have. If you want to play at home, you can
order our game on-line at: amomneedsto-remain.com. Thanks for playing!"

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
"Okay, Della, pull yourself together. LET'S PLAY! (Loud music issues forth) Here's your first question which is worth a box of diapers: According to the popular nursery rhyme, Jack and Jill Went Up the Hill to fetch what?

A. A stick.
B. A pail of water.
C. A bone.
D. Timmy and Lassie.

Well, Della, what's your answer?"

"Ooh, ooh, I know this one. A six pack!"

"My psychiatrist."

"O-kay. You know what, Ruthie, let's just give you the prize. In fact, let's just say you've won it all! You've got what it takes to be a mother!"
"I do?"

"Absolutely! You seem to have all the answers, or at least most of them. Plus, you know who to turn to for a lifeline if you're stuck.

OMG!! That's awesome! :Clap: