Flourless Chocolate Cake

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I found this recipe and it looks absolutely fabulous. I want to make it as a b-day cake for me and my hubby since mine was spent recovering from surgery.

Thing is I've never made a flourless chocolate cake before. Any tips? Here is the recipe.

INGREDIENTS
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
5 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup sugar
Pinch salt
Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
Unsweetened whipped cream, for garnish
Fresh berries, for garnish

PREPARATION

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour a 10-inch round cake pan and line bottom with a piece of parchment paper, using pan as a guide to cut out paper.

2. Bring a pan of water or bottom of double boiler to boil. Reduce heat to maintain a fair simmer. In top half of double boiler, or in a heatproof bowl set over but not touching water, melt chocolate and butter together, stirring occasionally. Set chocolate-butter mixture aside.

3. In a mixing bowl, put egg yolks and all but 3 tablespoons sugar. Whisk until sugar has dissolved and yolks are smooth. Whisking continuously, slowly pour in melted chocolate until thoroughly combined.

4. Put egg whites and salt in a clean bowl. With electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted out. Gradually sprinkle and beat in remaining sugar, and continue to beat until egg whites form stiff but not dry-looking peaks when beaters are lifted out.

5. Stir a dollop of egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten. Then, 1/3 at a time, gently fold chocolate mixture into egg whites just until thoroughly combined. Pour mixture into prepared cake pan.

6. Bake cake until looks firm and set but a wooden toothpick inserted into center still comes out slightly moist, about 45 minutes. Immediately turn cake out onto cooling rack by using pot holders or oven gloves to hold rack securely on top of pan, and then invert them together and lift off pan. Peel off parchment paper. As cake cools, its center will sink and crack, but do not worry.

7. Before serving, put some confectioners' sugar in a fine-meshed sieve held over cake, and tap sieve to dust cake with sugar. Cut cake into wedges and serve with unsweetened whipped cream or berries.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've made this flourless chocolate cake before and it was delicious.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Flourless-Chocolate-Cake-14478

It tasted like it was a cross between fudge and a brownie and as good as it was the first day I preferred the cake the second day after it had sat in the fridge. I think the flavour intensified.

I can't comment on your recipe because I see that it does have the eggs separated and the texture may be different. If you go to epicurious there are other flourless chocolate cakes with a similar technique to yours and the comments may give you some ideas.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I was afraid no one would respond. I'll have to try both, but obviously not at the same time. Turns out my MIL wants to throw the party because his brother is also getting out of jail so it's going to be interesting to say the least...

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
At Passover, anything wheat oriented is a no-no so desserts are heavy on the cocoanut and ground walnuts as a binder. *drool* :}

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I've made this flourless chocolate cake before and it was delicious.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Flourless-Chocolate-Cake-14478

It tasted like it was a cross between fudge and a brownie and as good as it was the first day I preferred the cake the second day after it had sat in the fridge. I think the flavour intensified.

I can't comment on your recipe because I see that it does have the eggs separated and the texture may be different. If you go to epicurious there are other flourless chocolate cakes with a similar technique to yours and the comments may give you some ideas.

Well I went ahead and made the cake you linked along with a ganache for the frosting. It was extremely rich and delicious, just the tiniest sliver was more than enough. I want to try the other as well because I absolutely love sponge type cakes, and pound cakes which I'm suspecting my recipe might lend itself toward. I will check out the comments.

Thanks.

Heron, do they serve flourless chocolate cakes during passover where you're at??