Exclusive Queries

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
How valuable is an exclusive query to an agent? For me, it means delaying other submissions, so I want to make sure its worthwhile.

Also, I am sending an exclusive query to an agent who says on the website that they only respond to queries if interested. How long should I wait for a response before assuming that they aren't interested, i.e. when does my query cease to be exclusive?

Thanks!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Don't send exclusive queries, it's a waste of your time and no agent expects them.

The only thing you should be giving exclusivity on is a request for the full manuscript, and then only if the agent asks. Usually the time period for this is about a month. You want to make sure to set that boundary or else you could be stuck forever.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
What Jo said. I send mine out in batches - about ten at a time. Then after a few responses (aka rejections) I send out another ten. I believe agents expect you to query more than one at a time.

Another tip, since you're new here. You might want to post your query on Share Your Work before you send it out. You'll get great feedback. But, I know posting there is a bit daunting at first. Anyway...just a suggestion. :)

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
What Jo said. I send mine out in batches - about ten at a time. Then after a few responses (aka rejections) I send out another ten. I believe agents expect you to query more than one at a time.

Another tip, since you're new here. You might want to post your query on Share Your Work before you send it out. You'll get great feedback. But, I know posting there is a bit daunting at first. Anyway...just a suggestion. :)

Thanks for the input!

I just posted my query over in the YA share your work section. I am completely new at this, so I can use all the help I can get!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input!

I just posted my query over in the YA share your work section. I am completely new at this, so I can use all the help I can get!

Good idea!

And I'm sure you know keep a thick skin. Unless you asked the critters to be gentle, they'll be more blunt than you can imagine. :D

And it's all good. Glad you posted there!

Last edited:

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto all the above. Never send exclusive queries.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
A follow up -

If I am submitted simultaneously, do I always need to include that in my query? Thanks!

Danthia

Standard rules of thumb...

Queries go to everyone. No one cares, and they expect you to cast a wide net.

Partials go to everyone. Also expected.

Fulls go to everyone, though you can let them know that others are also reading the full if you want. Personal preference here. (I did it since I felt it was polite and gave the agents a nudge to get to it quickly if they liked it) If someone asks for an exclusive, it's up to you whther or not to give it. One month is a commonly asked for time frame in which to get back to you. If someone is reading your full and another asks for an exclusive, send it and explain that you can't give an exclusive due to others reading the MS, but you promise not to make any descisions until they have a chance to look at it.

If you get an offer, tell everyone currently reading your full about it and ask how long they need to review the MS. Agents will wait and you could get multiple offers.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just received a personalized rejection two days after submitting my query (vs. the 3 weeks suggested time on the website).

So, maybe at least this agent prioritized my query?

Just a thought...

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to what Danthia said.

No, I sincerely doubt that they prioritized your query.