Ever changing Political Correctness

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
does anyone have any insight on why certain words describing races/ethnicites become passe, even offensive?

for example, does anyone know anything about why the word "oriental" is considered offensive to asians?

and anyone have an understanding of the evolution of colored to black to african-americans? why is colored considered worse than black? and why is african american considered more PC than saying black?

Last edited:

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
It might benefit you to study The New Negro Movement (Harlem Renaissance); for whatever reason, I believe the intellectuals of that movement would have a lot to offer this discussion. For example, I wonder what someone like Claude McKay would say about being called African-American, when he is Jamaican.

AMC

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
For example, I wonder what someone like Claude McKay would say about being called African-American, when he is Jamaican.

i knew an aboriginal girl who got annoyed when people called her "african-american".

Deleted member 42

i knew an aboriginal girl who got annoyed when people called her "african-american".

Yeah; that's not right.

Look, for me, there really are two criteria:

1. What does the person want to be called--this is a matter of courtesy. And, part of that, has to do with is the descriptive phrase/adjective important and appropriate in the context? Most of the time, it's not, frankly. Race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation--unless these are pertinent in the context, why mention them at all?

2. If it's appropriate, and courteous, is it accurate? My foster sister is from Palau; she's not African-American; -- she is Palauan, or, technically, Micronesian.

It's that thing my mom always says:

1. Is it kind?
2. Is it true?
3. Is it necessary?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
On the other hand, I've got to admit, I'm kind of groovin' on Pale American, or pigment-challenged American. Heh.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
My understanding is that "oriental" is no longer PC because it has principally become a modifier for commodities like rugs and hence it objectifies people of Asian descent. And you wouldn't use the word "occidental" to refer to people of European descent. I guess it's basically an antiquated term. On the other hand, "Black" vs. "African American" seems to be a matter of taste. I know some people who prefer one over the other, based on how they identify culturally. As mentioned above, your best gauge is asking the individual how they identify themselves.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
It's country specific.

Certainly if you called a black person in SA African-American they'd think you'd lost your mind.

And Coloured here is an acceptable term for a racial/social group where the people come from a mixed background (Afrikaans, black, Malay), are predominantly Afrikaans speaking, and are often (but not always ) Muslim.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i think the problem comes in when you do not know what the other person likes to be called, but you have to describe the person to another individual.

"so i talked to your manager about this, and he said that this wouldn't be a problem"

"which manager"

"well he works during the day. he's tall, african-american..."

"he's carribean"

"oh okay. cool. yeah him."

black wouldve been better there i think.

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
It's country specific.

Certainly if you called a black person in SA African-American they'd think you'd lost your mind.

And Coloured here is an acceptable term for a racial/social group where the people come from a mixed background (Afrikaans, black, Malay), are predominantly Afrikaans speaking, and are often (but not always ) Muslim.

Fun fact, until early XX Century the US census would catalogue every Latin American (except obviously white ones) as Negroes...

Lately, the government has been pushing on calling people of dark skin as "African descent", which seems baffling for me, since we never had "African-Venezuelan" or "Italian-Venezuelan" or whatnot... we were all just Venezuelans...

And yes, it seems to me that when a word becomes stuck in a time, it does sound old-fashioned which ends up related to racist... seems to me trough what I have seen, but I am not sure, that saying "African-American" in the US is now sign of 1) Black Pride (when spoken by a black person) 2) Politically-Correctness gone mad or someone trying to not to be offensive and failing miserably (when spoken by a white person)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I think the funniest I heard was someone referring to Mandela as an African American,

Uh. No. Fail.

What about the cases of Dutch descendent South Africans whose one of the parents is from United States being accused of joking when mentioning they are "African-American"?

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
What about the cases of Dutch descendent South Africans whose one of the parents is from United States being accused of joking when mentioning they are "African-American"?

Oh boy. Yeah.

A fair few times I was told, while in the UK, that I couldn't be from South Africa 'cause I was white...

That kinda did my head in.

Deleted member 42

I've been biting my tongue with respect to the phrase "politically correct."

I can't thand it any longer ;)

Originally--not now, but originally--"politically correct" meant a euphuism that made something bad sound, well, less bad.

You don't have lay offs; you have "a reduction in work force."

You don't have units of cell-destroying radiation; you have "sun shine units"

You're not short; you're "vertically challenged."

Notice that these are all borderline in terms of accuracy (I don't know about you, but I'm short. I just am.) They bury / hide / dress up negatives in an attempt to (deceitfully) make them sound "good."

I don't think Asian vs. Oriental, or African-American (used correctly) do that.

True PC language is inaccurate--and to my mind, is liguistic abuse.

Just sayin'

I know. It's too late; it's like rhetoric--people think rhetoric means "nonsense," or "empty of meaning."

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Oh boy. Yeah.

A fair few times I was told, while in the UK, that I couldn't be from South Africa 'cause I was white...

That kinda did my head in.

Same here, and what is more frustrating is that I was born here and my parents born here and my grandparents born here but since my grandfather's parents are from Spain and I am Hispanic White I have been called Portuguese, American, Italian, French, Spaniard, Jewish, Russian, etc. I am a Latino, carajo!. I am not even that white, like olive white...

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
Notice that these are all borderline in terms of accuracy (I don't know about you, but I'm short. I just am.) They bury / hide / dress up negatives in an attempt to (deceitfully) make them sound "good."

I don't think Asian vs. Oriental, or African-American (used correctly) do that.

True PC language is inaccurate--and to my mind, is liguistic abuse.

Just sayin'

I know. It's too late; it's like rhetoric--people think rhetoric means "nonsense," or "empty of meaning."

according to the dictionary definitions that you provided, these terms have come about in order to get rid of possible negative connotations.

i didnt really buy the negative connotations that they provided, but okay if the group is offended by it, i guess i'll use the term that they want to be called.

but african-american is in fact more inexact than simply "black", so hopefully there's no real problem with using it in everyday conversation.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Black is still cool. It has a corresponding opposite: black & white. African American is a 700% increase in syllables. It's cumbersome and inefficient.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
what i've noticed is that blacks arent really the ones that care about it, it's white people who think blacks would get offended by it who cringe when you use the word.

weird stuff.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I can't say 'black' about people who are actually brown; it would be a lie. I don't like saying 'white' about anyone but albinos. And 'brown' is a description that can equally apply to nearly anyone. And beside, just about everyone has pink hands.

I get terribly confused!

PC is just the euphemism treadmill used as a political weapon. I favour being precise about meanings rather than faddish about phrasings. I believe that the only rational response to PC-authoritarianism is to immediately start a food fight. If you find yourself being menaced by PC-bullies, my suggestion is to carry a bag of cream buns and let fly.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I can't say 'black' about people who are actually brown; it would be a lie. I don't like saying 'white' about anyone but albinos. And 'brown' is a description that can equally apply to nearly anyone. And beside, just about everyone has pink hands.

I get terribly confused!

I better not mention jelly fish and pineapples, then.

Oops...