It's The End Of The World As We Know It. Do You Feel Fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I was speaking to someone who works in the publishing industry today and they were telling me that Borders has been in financial trouble for a while, barely fending off bankruptcy, and with the latest economic news of the past few months, it looks like they’ll be going under. Right now they’re seriously cutting back on inventory as well as closing stores, but the prognosis is grim.

So there goes a major market for books.

They also told me that since Black October, publishing houses are laying off people and announcing massive losses and many imprints will be cut back or shut down.

So, if you think things were tough before, as far as getting published goes, you better bring out your “A” game, people.

So, any thoughts on the future of writing, publishing and the economy?

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
As long as people want to read books, there will be a market for it. It's just that Borders will get replaced by a different store once the economy picks up some.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Borders Australia is being bought up by our biggest chain, Angus and Robertson. This is a bit of a worry, because A & R is the Aldi of the bookselling industry: they believe that one book on each subject (like one product in each line) is enough. Borders at least had a good range.

cherubsmummy

Experienced Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Borders Australia is being bought up by our biggest chain, Angus and Robertson. This is a bit of a worry, because A & R is the Aldi of the bookselling industry: they believe that one book on each subject (like one product in each line) is enough. Borders at least had a good range.

That's not news I wanted to hear. A & R are fine if you want a top 100 book, but the really interesting books are at Borders. :(

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, we lost two Borders within the last two years up here.

Funny, though. Bookstores up here are always crowded. Then again, the two that closed weren't at a "regular" mall where they experience the foot traffic of the (surprise!) one that opened just last year.

Y'know, I'm beginning to think I've answered my own question...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Borders have been struggling for a few years now, even when "the time was good."

But publishers are saying this is going to be a grim holiday season. Expect only named authors and children's books doing well.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I want a Kindle. Then any coffeeshop I go to can be Borders and Barnes and Noble and my local bookstore too.

But I can't afford to go out for coffee. A Kindle? HA!

What exists for us now may be drying up, self-destructing, disintegrating, stuff like that. There'll be a new thing before we know it.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Borders is not allowed to go under. I do my homework there.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
I think we're going to see a big shift in the way the publishing industry works on the surface. With the old model, it'll be interesting to see how things work on the assembly line from editing, marketing, distribution, release, etc. I heard a lot of cutbacks will be in process and the pub companies are going to take a closer look at which authors they'll hang on to and which they'll let go.

On the upswing, writers will always write. Voracious readers will always read. And even though the big companies may be shaky, there's always a way to share the art of storytelling. It just may turn into a more underground movement with the advent of e-books (hi-yo 'aka eraser'! :hi:), small press, PODs, audiobooks, podcasts books, etc. Things are going to get a whole lot more creative in how stories are being shared from authors/storytellers to readers especially during a time when escape is needed the most and is made available at a low cost. I'm already seeing a lot of this happening in the small press world.

Ooh and I just heard that A&R Melbourne just acquired the espresso book machine (planning for 50 more machines by next fall) and aim to make a lot of out-of-print and hard to find books available to readers. I'm hoping that's made available in more places across the world and can be used with ebooks. Just like I hope there's another ebook reader that's released that allows for audiobook capability. A LOT of readers are clamoring for this and the industry would really benefit from expanding on the technology enough to cater to all readers (not to mention keeping a close ear to what readers want and giving it to them). It'll open up a lot revenue I'm sure and I'm hoping it's not too late for such a movement. Both readers and authors will be most grateful.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
My thought is that when I have to pay $28.00 or more for a book, (hard copy), so have to wait for it to come out in paperback, and with the money being tight now, it's not a news flash that book stores are feeling the pinch. IMHO

Yes, people will still want to read, but may be more selective on what they buy. Maybe through all this prices will come down a bit.

It's like with cars. Hummers and SUV dealers may feel the pinch more and go under. People still need cars.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I can't afford to buy new books, so I frequent the second-hand bookshops, Goodwill, Salvation Army and the like for my reading materials. Yard sales are good hunting grounds, as are estate sales.

I've built a fine personal library this way. You'd be surprised at the number of almost new hardback books, read only once, that you can purchase for a couple of bucks.

Last edited:

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
If Borders are taken over by A&R I'll be happy. A&R have been very helpful to me with book signings and their managers and staff are very helpful.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh and I just heard that A&R Melbourne just acquired the espresso book machine (planning for 50 more machines by next fall) and aim to make a lot of out-of-print and hard to find books available to readers.

Excuse me if this is a stupid question but - what is an 'espresso book machine'?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Actually I feel a little woozy now. Borders, huh?

Our local Borders barely gets any business. It's a ghost town. The nearby Barnes and Noble does better, since it's attached to the mall.

ITA with those who can't fork over $28 for a book. I need that $28 for groceries!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
So, a single, probably mismanaged, bookstore chain is in financial trouble and it's the end of the world as we know it? I think not. Recovery will come. Let's try not to panic, shall we?

Nathan's solution: Buy more books!

http://nathanbransford.blogspot.com/

Reaction score
I don't believe it'll happen. For as long as there's people, there will be a readership.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
As long as Barnes & Noble stays open, I won't die if Borders shuts down. I'm more of a BN fan anyway

All the bookstores I go to regularly are doing fine. Oddly, none are chain stores and some are in basements near Harvard so they all must have claimed their not-very-profitable niches decades ago. And they are hanging on and still stuffed with books. Very nice ones. Very recent. Glossy, floppy, silky trade paperbacks. I hate dusty old hardback books.
I want something, flimsy, emphemeral and gaudy and scientific.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
So, a single, probably mismanaged, bookstore chain is in financial trouble and it's the end of the world as we know it? I think not. Recovery will come. Let's try not to panic, shall we?

Nathan's solution: Buy more books!

We haven't any big bookstores anywhere near where I live (just one little local bookstore), and I'm not seeking publication, but the thought of such giants going under is unsettling. :( I do hope they stick around.

I get most of my books nowadays through eBay (used/hard-to-find ones) and Amazon (now that they allow you to pay from your checking account).

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
We haven't any big bookstores anywhere near where I live (just one little local bookstore), and I'm not seeking publication, but the thought of such giants going under is unsettling. :( I do hope they stick around.

I get most of my books nowadays through eBay (used/hard-to-find ones) and Amazon (now that they allow you to pay from your checking account).
I guess because I'm not American, and not currently seeking publication in America, I find it less unsettling. But I see where you're coming from.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe everybody on AW should buy books to give as Christmas presents.

Then all of us will be helping the publishing industry. Yes?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Oh yeah, BUY MORE BOOKS!!!

And, just to clarify, buy more NEW BOOKS. Because used books don't help authors or publishers stay in business.

I'm the first to admit, I love a bargain. But if we don't buy new books, with the understanding of how this business works, how can we expect nonwriters to understand how the business works and encourage them to support the writers they love?

I'm not saying you ONLY have to buy new books. There are times we ALL succumb to the draw of the remainders, the used books, the megabargain. (Gotta confess, I was in a discount store just last week, and I managed to pick up two new copies of some OLD romance novels, written by two authors I know and enjoy, for just .99 each. The authors didn't make anything from that sale, I'm sure. )

Just be aware, that's all. :)

Susan G.

Status
Not open for further replies.