SFF Secret Santa Idea

Would you participate in a Secret Santa?

• Yes

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
SFF Secret Santa Idea -- Rules and Guidelines Posted

SECRET SANTA​

(1) To participate, PM me with something you like and something you want in a story. PM ME BY NOVEMBER 16TH. Examples:

- I like Neil Gaiman, and I want a sextant in the story.
- I love character stories, and I want a robot war.
- Pirates rule, and I want a reference to Alexandrite.

Say you as a writer get something you don't like. For instance, the person I wind up writing for says "I love romance stories, romance is so awesome especially when no one dies at the end!" This is something I cannot write successfully. Well, looks like I have a challenge :) Take this as an opportunity to really stretch yourself as a writer.

If there is an element you do not want in your story (excessive violence, gore, swearing, sex) put that in your request!

(2) Stories must be no shorter than 500 words, no longer than 2000 words (this is flexible). If you are shy, you may simply PM your gift to your recipient, though I think it would be awesome if we all shared our gifts (I'm thinking in SYW--details to come on this front).

(3) You have until December 23rd to post (I say this in case someone from the states gets someone in Australia, that way the Aussie still gets it by the 24th).

(4) By dropping your name in a hat, it binds you to writing for whoever you're assigned to. Write for them. Because if you fail to deliver your gift, that's really going to be a sad day for someone.

(5) Savvy?

PARTICIPANTS

1) dempsey (done!)
2) Williebee (done!)
3) DeadlyAccurate (done!)
4) NicoleMD (done!)
5) KittyPryde (done!)
6) IdiotsRUs (done!)
7) dclary (done!)
8) SPMiller (done!)
9) BahamutChild (done!)
10) L M Ashton
11) Nakhlasmoke (done!)
12) rosemerry (done!)
13) maxmordon (done!)
14) ELMontague (done!)
15) Neurotic (done!)
16) Hummingbird (done!)

SECRET SANTA ASSIGNMENTS HAVE BEEN DRAWN AND IT'S ALL CLOSED NOW!!

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES​

Since nobody has yet posted their work in SYW, keep not-posting your work in SYW.

Instead, you can give me (the central person who already knows the Secret Santa pairups though I don't have them memorized and as of now have actually forgotten who is writing something for me) the work. I will pass it along to the person on December 23, and they can "open" their gift on Christmas. Or cheat and open early. We won't judge.

Then, after Christmas has gone past, we'll post our work. What I'll do, is I will make one BIG HUGE THREAD which will showcase all the work done for Secret Santa, to be posted sometime on Boxing Day. This thread will not be open for criticism, just for positive comments and sharing. I'll likely post in SFF. (Everybody will post their own story, so that we have the avatar-and-name association at a glance. I'll just start it off by posting mine. Take the plunge, as it were.)

Should you as a writer want crits, because we all want to improve our craft and this is a great way to do it, feel free to post in SYW, noting the challenge topic, and those can be gone through by everybody to help the writer along. Be sure to do this AFTER BOXING DAY.

Original Post...

So I had an idea. We should do a Secret Santa thing.

The idea basically goes as follows:

Everybody who wants to join puts their name in the hat. Your "name in the hat" consists of, well, your forum name, and something you'd like to have written and some personal detail of what you like to read.

Example: dempsey, something involving a sextant, favorite author is Neil Gaiman.

We'll draw and assign Santas. Everybody has to have their "gift" posted by December 23rd (I say this to account for the fact that Dec 23rd in America is Dec 24th in Aussieland, etc).

No less than 500 words, no more than 2000 words :)

This post is primarily to see if anybody's interested :)

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
So lemme get this right. If I draw dempsey's name, I would write something 500 to 2,000 words involving a sextant, and somewhat in the style of Neil Gaiman?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
So lemme get this right. If I draw dempsey's name, I would write something 500 to 2,000 words involving a sextant, and somewhat in the style of Neil Gaiman?

No, silly, you'd commission Neil Gaiman to write a 500-2000 word piece for dempsey. Duh.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sounds neat. what if a writing nooblet such as myself got a secret santa gift-ee who picked something really hard to write about like, um, i dunno, a hard SF cozy mystery set in tibet in the style of hemingway. no, i am not issuing a challenge to write such a thing. i'm just sayin'. but i'm willing to take a swing at anything i spose.

geardrops

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net

Not necessarily in the style of Neil Gaiman. I'd rather have your style :D But it's more of a guidepost. Like "Would dempsey prefer a story set in a modern fantasy setting or soft scifi on some weird made-up planet?" My preference note gives a guidepost.

ETA: It doesn't have to be an author. You can put something like "I prefer fantasy" or "I love character stories" or "Pumpkin pie is the best dessert conceivable."

Last edited:

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Ooh this sounds fun.

Colour me interested.

eta: I don't know but as a suggestion maybe we should also include our own partiular style or forte? Eg. There is no way I could ever pull off comedic SFF a la Pratchett or Adams, but I can do angsty crap.

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I disagree. Whatever you get, you have to try an emulate. Consider it an exercise in improving your "voice."

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

geardrops

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Awesome! Looks like we have some interest :D

I guess, er... I'll edit the top post to answer questions and to get this organized.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I can try this, but I might violate the upper bound of your length requirement.

And like Ceiling Cat, I often have difficulty with the funny.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Ok, this sounds like both a cool challenge, and a chance to try and do something unique for someone.

(In other words, man, I wish I'd thought of this idea.):)

I'm in.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Another possible suggestion: if you'd rather not have foul language/violence/whatever in the story you receive, it's probably worth a mention. I tend to be rather casual with both.

Oh, and just to make it official:

I like: badass heroines, and I'd like to see a mystery with a lot of physical action (fight/car chase/etc.)

Last edited:

geardrops

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I can try this, but I might violate the upper bound of your length requirement.

I could make it higher if we want? Remove it altogether?

Another possible suggestion: if you'd rather not have foul language/violence/whatever in the story you receive, it's probably worth a mention. I tend to be rather casual with both.

This is a good point. I'll edit the top post.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Probably good to leave a soft limit in so people don't feel pressured to write a lot.

I hadn't even considered the content issue. Ha, glad somebody mentioned it, because I can be free with all manner of R- and X-rated stuff.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I put my request in. I hope Idiots-R-Us is MY santa. (Dempsey, can we put in requests for who we want Santa-ing for us?)

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like fun! I'm in (once I figure out what to ask for...). :D

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Wait, so the idea is to write a story for the person you're secret santaing? What a cool idea!

And, yeah, I think I'm in! But if someone wants a sex scene in their story and I get them, then what? Cuz I'm telling ya, I ain't writing no sex scenes! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.