So you don't Procrastinate

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I used it on 'normal' mode, and added over a thousand words to one of my WIPs (not NaNo, though) in thirty minutes. That's even pausing the machine (though the countdown doesn't pause) to take a phone call from my daughter.

For me, I think this will work very much like the word wars have been working. In fact, since it times me, I don't have to keep glancing at the clock, and it will add to my word war experience. :D

Thanks, Elonna.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I played around with it for a bit on "Kamikaze/Evil" mode, although I didn't write anything of value.

Actually, I sort of liked that it erased words--it's slow enough that you can catch it deleting, forcing you to finish your thought for a second time. Retyping might give you a boost.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Fabulous tool. But I don't like the fact it "punishes" you--you do need to stop occasionally in order to think, or what???

Thanks!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Fabulous tool. But I don't like the fact it "punishes" you--you do need to stop occasionally in order to think, or what???

Thanks!

I actually did have time to think. (I was working on 'normal.') But if the thinking goes on too long, it's a form of procrastination. That's what's "punished."

I only got that once. It was a very loud bit of music. I think there's a dent in my ceiling...

I may put it on 'gentle,' or whatever the setting is that punishes you less, because for me the main incentives to keep writing and not procrastinate are at the bottom of the window in the form of the clock and the word counter. :)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved this thing so much I put a link to it on my blog. It's fab. :D

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks!

I had it set to the two highest levels and I still had time to think before it started erasing me. Also, I think the "pause" option was still available.

P.S. Yes, Cranky, I am stalking you.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhhh! *flees* :D

BTW, I don't think the pause option was available on kamikaze. I've not dared to do that with the book, though I tried it out on something else. It does start erasing rather briskly when your time is up. :eek:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get that, and then sometimes I get that dratted peanut butter jelly song.

Peanut butter jelly
Peanut butter jelly
Penunt butter jelly peanut butter jelly
Peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat

W. T. F. ????????

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
Songs? All I get is a big crashing chord when I hit my goal.

I like this. 600 in 25 minutes. Looked over it for spelling, rewrote a couple of things, and ended up with 723 words in 40 minutes total. Thanks again for posting it.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Songs? All I get is a big crashing chord when I hit my goal.

I like this. 600 in 25 minutes. Looked over it for spelling, rewrote a couple of things, and ended up with 723 words in 40 minutes total. Thanks again for posting it.

Then you're probably not procrastinating. :) If you pause and wait for the warning screens to turn red, you get annoying music until you write again.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
http://lab.drwicked.com/writeordie.html

This is fun :D

But be careful about really using it for writing...Kamikaze mode deletes words if you stop typing

Thanks for posting this.

I procrastinated a LOT last night (okay and tonight as well!) and set it for 2000 words and Kamikaze mode for two hours.

I got my 2000 words in forty minutes! Then got greedy and decided to do another 2000 words in 45 minutes and made that one as well!

I don't know why, but it did work out for me! (and yes, a couple times it did eat some words...but that's okay, they weren't words I wanted anyway.)

And since I wanted to start writing about midnight (y'know, five and a half hours ago) I'm going to use the site again. See if I can get my goal for today done and maybe get closer to getting into my halfway mark.

Cause I'm WAY behind.

But now, and I do give some credit to that little program, I'm about 6700 words closer to being caught up. I could concievably make it to just being a day behind if I just buckle down and force myself to work tonight.

Rabe...

Last edited:

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this is working great for me. I keep making myself small goals -- 300 words in 10 minutes, or 500 words in 20 or 30 minutes, and have gotten almost 4k written today. It'll be great for breaks at work, too. Thanks!

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
just because this needed a bump - to the front page at least.

Rabe...

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the link, it's awsome ^^

XX

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, this is fun. I wrote 421 words in fifteen minutes -- a nice jump start to today's work.