Familiar with Nebraska?

gophergrrrl

Been a while but I've returned...
Registered
Reaction score
For the story I am currently working on, I need a location about 20-60 miles west of Grand Island NE, near the West 80 interstate. I'm looking for a town that is slightly desolate, maybe a hoppin' spot for truckers/truckstop, low population, crooked cops, small town politics, etc. Basically a good place to set up some mid-western debotchery. Lot lizards will be in attendence.

If anyone is familiar with a little town or area that might fit this description, I would greatly appreciate some suggestions.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The closest place I can think of would be Kearney. It's just off the interstate, nice little college town. I've only been through a few times, though, since I live east of there, in a much bigger city, so I'm not very familiar. That should give you a nice jumping off point, though. Or maybe Lexington, which is a little further west, but in the area you're looking for.

Might be too big for what you're wanting, though. And that's honestly all I got. I don't get out much, lol.

My best suggestion would be to simply make a place up.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Try Odessa, NE. Exit 263 off of 80, about 60 miles from Grand Island. I believe there is a truck stop both north and south of the highway, with the town about a mile north of the highway. Population is slightly less than 400.

I don't believe there are any lot lizards, but I don't really know.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know Nebraska at all, but Google Maps suggests you need to look along US 30, rather than directly on I-80. The following towns are all three or four miles off from the interstate, but as far as I can tell from the satellite view, each has something that looks like a truckstop where the connecting road intersects I-80.

Shelton or Gibbon fit your criteria well if you want a very small town. Kearney is substantially larger, and a college town. Lexington is smaller than Kearney, but larger than the others. However, it's also farther out.

Wood River, pop. 1204, is 14 miles from Grand Island.

Shelton, pop. 1140, is 22 miles from Grand Island.

Gibbon, pop. 1759, is 28 miles from Grand Island.

Kearney, pop. 27,431, is 42 miles from Grand Island.

Elm Creek, pop. 894, is 57 miles from Grand Island.

Lexington, pop. 10,011, is 76 miles from Grand Island.

(The population figures listed are from the 2000 census, so the current numbers will be different.)