Anti-social neighbours

Reaction score
Yep, my first thread in months is a rant in Office Party. Surprised?

So. Back in June a new neighbour moved into the flat downstairs from me. There was some inevitable noise which I put down to decorating, moving furniture, housewarming parties and the like. However, it went on...and on...and on...I'm talking windows thrown open, music pounding, you name it. There was no pattern to it, no routine, no rhyme or reason so I've never stood a chance of predicting when my peace was going to be disturbed.

The earliest I've been woken up is 5am; the latest it's gone on is half past ten at night. If I have to listen to NeYo's Closer or Will.I.Am and Cheryl Cole's Heartbreaker once more, there will be murder done.

The first step I took was visiting my local housing office to put in an official complaint. I didn't hear anything back so I returned a few weeks later but they said they couldn't do anything as it was in the hands of the anti-social behaviour team. I said, "No one's been in touch with me."

Not their problem, apparently. I had to wait on the ASB Team.

Eventually someone from the ASB Team - we'll call her Fiona, cuz...well, that's her name - got in touch, came round for a visit. We discussed mediation and that was the route we took.

Didn't get anywhere. My neighbour ignored all attempts at contact and a few weeks later I got a letter saying the mediators were dropping the case as my neighbour had ignored their attempts to get in touch. They recommended getting back in touch with the ASB Team, which I did.

Waited for a call back.

And waited.

Waited some more.

Eventually phoned them again and for a couple of months now I've been fobbed off with excuses like, "Fiona's left...we don't know who's dealing with your case...oh, we do know who's dealing with your case but they're off sick...oh sorry, we spelled your name wrong and filed the papers in the wrong folder...someone will get back to you...just phone the police next time it happens...I'll get someone to call you back..."

Let me tell you, no-one has ever called me back regarding my complaint except for one occasion when I emailed my local councillor regarding the matter. Two hours later I received a phone call basically saying my complaint was being dealt with and someone would call me again on Monday.

Monday came and went.

A week passed, I called. Left a message. Was assured someone would call me back that afternoon.

Nothing.

I've been to see my councillor in person and he's not happy with the way things are being dealt with...or not.

I've called the police out countless times, been keeping a list of all disturbances (which include the selfish bitch's male companions shouting up at my window giving me abuse) and really...I wonder why I bother.

Now here's the funny part.

This morning I received a survey from the council, saying, "Someone from the anti-social behaviour team recently dealt with a complaint regarding your neighbour." They want me to fill in a form detailing whether or not I'm happy with the 'service' they've given.

:rant:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I can completely sympathize. We have neighbors who played there music so loud every Sunday during the summer it literally shook our house.

I would fill out the form you received and tell them their service stinks and nothing has been done regarding the complaint and if you can make a tape of the racket the neighbor makes, enclose it with the form.

Can you call the police about the noise or does it have to be handled by housing?

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
Ack.

My neighbours are the same. However, you have one advantage that I do not, you live above your troublesome neighbour, yes? I reccomend you buy a hockey mask and a chainsaw. Then work out where your neighbours bedroom is, cut a hole in the floor using said chainsaw (yes just like in the movies), then drop through the hole and chase them about with it. Your problems will be over in an instant.

Reaction score
I've called the police a number of times but the problem is, they park out front. She sees the police car, turns the music off.

I talk to the officer attending, he/she knocks on my neighbour's door, they're ignored. Nothing they can do.

As soon as they go away, it starts up again.

I'm at the end of my tether. I've lost count of the number of times I've cried myself to sleep at night with stress and exhaustion.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
At least there is no mention of a camel in the first thread back - we're good.

I always get mixed up between sympathised and empathised. One of them anyway. To me, 5 am is a sleep in as I have a boy nearing two who just loves early morings. 10.30 at night is normally when I call it a day, so anything after that would annoy me. My neighbours have a habit of going way past 10.30 with their parties, however, my wife and I are generally too tired to hear what they get up to. They always apologise the next day and we nod and wonder what noise they made.

Fil in the survey, make your complaint and move on with life. It's too short otherwise.

JJ

Reaction score
Believe me, yes. I don't see why I should have to, and someone else is going to be landed with a nightmare neighbour when they occupy my flat, but...I'm seriously considering it.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
We had a similar problem a few years ago. We moved. It made life a whole lot better.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...as a last resort you might move, if you can.
Sometimes the best way to solve a problem like this is to skirt it.

Oops, cross-posted with Priene.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Their waking hours are your sleeping hours - therefore it would be logical (????) to assume that their sleeping hours are your waking hours. Maybe you could take advantage of that fact?

I dunno - maybe you've become hard of hearing because the noise downstairs has damaged your eardrums. Maybe you want to learn another language? Maybe you are having trouble with a particular phrase, and have to play it over and over again?

You know, I would never suggest anything outwardly malicious ...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Believe me, yes. I don't see why I should have to, and someone else is going to be landed with a nightmare neighbour when they occupy my flat, but...I'm seriously considering it.
But if you move, it will be that someone else who goes to prison for murder, not you.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I had this same problem for the final year of my undergraduate degree, complete with abuse from the person and their friends, as well as several lesser versions of the same at other times. I'm afraid the only solution I found that was legal was to move, and as soon as possible. I'm really sorry this is happening to you, and has been for so long. Hang in there - while you arrange to get out ASAP!

Oh, and edited to add: Earplugs! Get them from Boots; soft and cheap, and they do the business.

Reaction score
I know there's nothing anyone else can do; I just needed to vent in a place where I knew I'd get sympathy! It does drive you crazy when you can't even enjoy the quiet times because you're scared they won't last long.

*sigh*

You're all invited round to my house for a LOUD party. Before you reach my door, however, please stop to shit on the doorstep of the flat below me. Thank you.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Document everything, and keep bitching to the police and the ASB each day it occurs. Tossing a worm-infested sow with the blight through their front window wouldn't be legal or constructive, but it would be fun.

Reaction score
You'd think she'd feel bad enough with having me as a neighbour, but no...apparently that's not punishment enough.

Flaming bag of poo and blighty sow it is, then.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Well I have two words of advice having lived in a townhouse situation with exactly the same problems: music, banging, etc. WHITE NOISE.
Buy a box fan, prop it next to you, next to the bed, turn it on high (and turn it away from you so that it blows in the opposite direction). You'd be amazed at what it blocks out. And because the fan's on high the TV will be louder, further blocking things out.

I started using a box fan years ago because of my husband's snoring.
Of course you do have to get used to the noise of the fan but for me, at least, it does filter into background after a while.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
First, it's nice to see your return. I hope you haven't lost one ounce of spunk! I hate horrible neighbors. I just returned from a camping trip and our neighbors had an a#$wipe father who rounded the five kids up at 6:30 a.m. and had them scream to the top of their lungs. I heard the one kid say, "do you think we woke everyone up yet", I wanted to scream! They didn't stop until you heard people finally getting up.

I like the flaming bag of poo but I'd also do the Irish step dancing thing too.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
WHITE NOISE

Seconded. I found nothing that could stop the noise (ear plugs just sparked off an allergy), but a shortwave radio turned up high does a good job of blotting out background noise. And it's slightly addictive.