Go South young man/woman...

bergalia

Registered
Reaction score
Just floating this idea for you ‘Western’ writers. (I’m not one myself - though for relaxation I am a fan of the genre. Just too idle to write in that vein, I suppose.)
But - have you ever researched the history of Australia’s ‘Wild West/East/North and South?’
Take just one of the Bushrangers for instance (William Westwood (Jackey Jackey - not to be confused with the Aboriginal ranger Jacky Jacky). His career makes Billy the Kid look like a spoiled brat. Jesse James is an amateur by comparison to most other rangers - Captain Moonlight; Captain Starlight etc. and the sum total of all banks and stage coaches robbed by the ‘Wild West’ anti-heroes is only a fraction ‘lifted’ by the Aussie villains.
Dodge City etc? Not a patch on the outback settlements during the many gold-rush periods. And the affair at the ‘OK’ pales to a minor skirmish in comparison to the shoot-outs between Bushrangers and Troopers.
Not decrying the US ‘folklore’ but for inspiration take a glimpse at what the Land Down Under has to offer. I think the phrase is: “You ain’t seen nothin’ yet....”