What if I delete a scene?

Madison

summertime...
Registered
Reaction score
So I wrote this ~1k scene today that is now going down the toilet. Just doesn't work with the plot at all. So... do those words count towards my 50k? It took me a while to write them... and college leaves very little time for writing, so 1k is pretty valuable. Can I count it (please!)?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you can count it. Just because you're not using it in the final product doesn't mean you actually have to delete it from the document right now. Save that for the bigger editing process at the end of the month after you finish the draft.

After all, even if you're sure the scene won't work, you might find yourself wanting a line or two later.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just mark the section somehow or copy and paste it at the end of your file. You've already written them and it's fine for you to save them towards your word count.

Reaction score
As Chris Baty says in the official NaNo book, you're allowed to highlight the text you no longer need and change the font to white, so it doesn't show up against your background but counts towards your final total.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
NaNo seems to be a word count contest more than a good writing contest. I think anyone who writes a bad scene should just leave it in and take it out after Dec 1st. You can do a lot with your story after Dec 1. I would not do much editing except maybe glaring spell check problems.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
What "Use Her Name" said. Don't delete it. Although NaNo is a word-on-screen contest, save the bad scene and rewrite it when you edit. The idea for NaNo is to turn off the editor, internal and external, get the words written. You never know--that bad scene might be the perfect subplot that leads to the perfect ending.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
The idea for NaNo is to turn off the editor, internal and external, get the words written. You never know--that bad scene might be the perfect subplot that leads to the perfect ending.

I second that. You're too close to your book at the moment, you can't really judge. I won't be sursprised if later you discover this scene adds depth to the entire story.

I've had an identical problem yesterday, but I'm keeping the scene because I have a good feeling about it.

Good luck!