View Full Version : Reading what's written

11-08-2008, 06:01 AM
I wasn't sure what forum was most appropriate for this. I got it as an e-mail forward today.

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I didn't have any trouble reading it - which surprised me. Any comments? Puma

11-08-2008, 07:51 AM

11-08-2008, 08:20 AM
The basis of most speed-reading programs is the ability to absorb large chunks of words as words, not letters forming a word. Which is why some people are able to look at a page and read it in its entirety without going letter-by-letter.

The statistic of 55% is interesting. I wonder what percentage of the remaining 45% would be classified as having some sort of dyslexia.

I didn't have any trouble reading the paragraph either.

11-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I know there's a thread about this in this sub-forum, but I can't seem to find it . . .