PDA

View Full Version : Resubmission Question

Anares
11-08-2008, 02:44 AM
Question, and I apologize if this is the wrong place for this.

Is it okay to resend a query letter after a length of time has passed since you sent the first one?

Background: I had never written a query letter before and wasn't even sure what it should entail fully. Thus, my first one was rather lacking. In a nutshell, it stank. I didn't see it at the time, but it did.

Now the agency I got my rejection letter from sounds like a great place and I wouldn't mind resubmitting a query letter to them if it is not in bad form to do so. I'm also looking for an agent on my side of the US. What with daylight savings, etc, any live meetings or phone calls would be easier if we were in closer than 4 hour time differences.

Any advice for this lost little newbie?

Danthia
11-08-2008, 02:53 AM
I've heard agents say wait six months to requery. That's long enough for the query to leave their memory. If the query was truly dreadful and you changed it substantially, you could probably get away with sending it sooner, but you risk annoying an agent if they think "sheesh I just rejected this!" Your call on that one.

Don't worry about the geography. You want an agent who loves your work and will fight for it, and it doesn't matter where they live. My agent is in Denver and I'm in Georgia, so we just schedule calls when we're both free. I don't think live meetings even happen much these days unless you happen to be in the same town as your agent :)

scope
11-08-2008, 03:01 AM
I agree with everything Danthia said. In addition, with so many agents out there to query, why fixate on the one who rejected you - for whatever reason.

Anares
11-08-2008, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the information. I guess I thought there was still much of the face-to-face aspect that wasn't via webcam. And yeah, I know, I can sometimes be a bit like a bulldog. :)