Silent auction bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
My daughter's school has a big fundraiser in the form of a silent auction, and all the parents are expected to "donate" at least a couple of bidding items. Apparently the more creative items are especially welcome.

My agent has agreed to be put up for bidding. I originally suggested that she critique someone's first chapter, but she doesn't want to do that ("there's not much to say if the writing sucks"). She countered with an offer to go to a house with a group of writers & talk to them in person about how to present material to an agent. She will also listen to any pitches at that time.

What do you think of that? Any other suggestions? I'm not sure if there will be ANY interest in this type of thing and have emailed one of the organizers to ask how many people usually participate.

And lastly, we start bidding at 50% of retail price. How much (if any) would you bid for something like that?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I'd bid Haggis and Rolling Thunder, and might raise it with Cray. ;)

Seriously, though--make certain the silent auction organizers know to advertise your agent's offer. For a chance like that, you'd have writers from all over show up and spend oodles of money. I know I would.

I'd start the bidding at $100 and probably raise it up to $500 (US) depending upon the stature of the agent and my level of frustration at the time.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is very generous of your agent to agree to do this.

I would think about some logistical issues. 1) where would the agent meet with these authors (who is going to volunteer their home)? 2) how many authors would be allowed in the group? 3) should you set a limit for the length of time of the meeting? 4) should a group be allowed to bid (4-5 authors pool their money and bid as one)? 5) where can you promote the auction to attract the attention of authors?

I wish you (and your daughter's school) much success. Please let us know how it comes out.

MM

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Good points, MM, thanks. I'm still working out how I would word it and what I could do to bring it to the attention of people who might be interested.

Willie -- I'm as surprised as you. I asked my editor to do something similar; she deftly avoided the question by offering up a bunch of books for auction. I think my agent is still reeling from jet lag. She may regret it later.

I'd start the bidding at $100 and probably raise it up to $500 (US) depending upon the stature of the agent and my level of frustration at the time.

Really? Wow. I was thinking of starting at $50.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds cool to me! $100-$500 (US) seems like a lot for a school fundraiser, unless its a poshy private school, that is.

Could you donate, say, your book (signed by author=yay) + some other books, arranged handsomely in a basket with a coffee mug thrown in for good measure? Or your book + some publisher shwag, arranged in a pleasing tote bag?

Or could you auction off yourself to a book club for the afternoon for discussion? I would totally bid on that, I mean you.

Or ask around to your local massage therapist/chiropractor/scrapbooking shop/ski shop/restaurant that you give a lot of business to, and see if anyone will donate a gift certificate to the school. Emphasize that it's for the children, and their need for textbooks/volleyballs/computers/chocolate milk/whatever.

If you have friends who make stuff (jewelry, crafts, sewing, knitting), hit them up as well!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Really? Wow. I was thinking of starting at $50.

I think that's probably a good place to start, if you have a say in it. That's an item that can either have tons of interest or none at all, depending on the parents in your school.

You can always make the bid increments high (like $25) to get a bidding war going if several people are interested.

Your agent won't be there that evening, will she?

Wendy, auction chair several times over

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
The auction's done by telephone. And no, it's not a posh school -- it's actually a very small, alternative school within a larger school. I'm not sure anyone would be interested but am trying to find out if the whole community is involved, rather than just the two schools.

Book club -- I thought about that, but...well, I do those for free, usually. I guess I could throw in a copy of my book, and maybe even an ARC of my second.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Can someone (oh, I don't know who...just someone) get the group of friends together first to pool their money for the item. How many people would be allowed at the house when the agent visits to give her talk. If someone (Oh, I don't know who...just someone) had a facility room they could use, would the agent prefer to visit there to see the group? Are we talking about 8 people, or less???

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That sounds cool to me! $100-$500 (US) seems like a lot for a school fundraiser, unless its a poshy private school, that is.

I was thinking it was a great way to have a bigger ticket item in the auction without taxing a single donor. If the item went for say $500...and there were 8 people there when the agent made the visit, those 8 people would only be out $60 bucks each...and her agent is very high profile and respected.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Please let me know if it happens and how many people would be allowed at the meeting. I have a pool of about 250 people to call on to be at that meeting. If 8 are allowed, it shouldn't be a problem...if more than 8, I may be able to go higher than the $500. Would said agent be interested in coming east of Toronto??

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Kevin, right now we're debating whether or not we could maybe do a separate fundraising thing and have the proceeds go directly to reading/writing/creative materials for the school. We'd have a fun cocktail night, possibly have a past senior editor from a major publishing house join us (I haven't asked her yet but think she'd probably do it), followed by Q&A with the agent & editor, and mingling. Anyone could just buy a ticket. I'm waiting to hear back from the school to see what they say.

what would you pay for something like that? Assuming it would be in a cash-bar type of setting.

Kevin, I just asked if she'd come out your way. I'll let you know.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That would sound like a great night. It would depend, I think, on the way that it's set up...with pitching appointments, I'm sure people would pay more. I would think you could get at least a $25-$40 ticket price...maybe higher if there is the opportunity to pitch. Sounds like a great event, at any rate.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone (oh, I don't know who...just someone) get the group of friends together first to pool their money for the item. How many people would be allowed at the house when the agent visits to give her talk. If someone (Oh, I don't know who...just someone) had a facility room they could use, would the agent prefer to visit there to see the group? Are we talking about 8 people, or less???

Well, sounds like someone is already interested. :) But this what I was thinking, anyway. It might be in your (the auction's) best interest to research, track down and phone any writer's groups in your area (check out the NaNo forums for help on that one) and let them know what's going on. I bet they'd be more than willing to pool their money.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, it's not going to be a separate fundraiser but will be part of the auction. My agent and a previous senior editor for Penguin Canada (who now freelances and teaches) is also on board for the night. Wine & cheese. Up to 10 people at my house, very casual, Q&A, insider tips & tricks, what's hot (or not), etc.

Kevin, if you're seriously interested, send me a message, and I'll give you the deets on bidding night, etc.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I rep commented you, ill. I am interested. As soon as I have all the info, I'll send it out to my writing group and see if I can get 9-cobidders to go in on it with me. I love these silent auctions. With their help, I'll throw a lot of money at the item and steal it from any other bidders!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I won, I won, I won. Okay...so it's not a lottery, but I still feel like I won. Thanks to illit. for organizing the literary evening and donating it to the silent auction. Me and my nine friends look forward to attending what promises to be a very informative evening!

Status
Not open for further replies.