Death of Vista-Long Live the King!!

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I've never used it, but the general public reaction to Vista was unfavourable - and this was reflected in sales figures of Vista vs XP.
I think that the general - & business - communities have collectively welcomed the news of Vista's demise.

Well, stay tuned, folks. The computer/IT press is now dealing with the beta release of Windows 7, and it is a vast improvement on Vista. It is getting the general thumbs up.

Reaction score
Oh bugger. Four days after I get a new computer, this.

Never mind, it's not like I paid for it! :D

At first it felt a bit weird because XP was all I'd ever used on my home computers but I'm already used to it, and I like it. Office 2007 is teh shizzle. So I'm happy with it.

Here's hoping this laptop doesn't blow up like the other one did.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
MS has indicated that it will no longer support XP, but there is such a groundswell of community support, that various sectors are petitioning MS to continue XP support.

With the very possible favourable reaction from the public for Win7, who knows what will happen? But, we'll have to wait and see what technical issues arise during Win7's 1st year and if MS does over the consumer again. If it's ok, will those on XP switch to Win7? MS would surely like them to!

[Its been awhile SP...]

Reaction score
The funny thing is, when I got my first desktop about seven, eight years ago, XP had just been released and a computer buff friend warned me off it, recommended ME. I just went with XP and never had a problem with it beyond teething troubles, finding my way around.

And last week when my previous laptop went on the fritz and I realised I'd have to get an entirely new machine, my dad warned me - like the little ray of sunshine he is - that Vista was rubbish, I'd hate it, he'd heard bad things about it.

"Okay," I said, "What bad things?"

-"I dunno. Just a lot of people don't like it."

"What people?"

He couldn't give me an answer so I thought, screw it, Vista it is. At first the navigation was confusing but honestly? I haven't had any problems beyond having to install a Vista driver for my AlphaSmart Neo (recently christened 'Apollo', since you ask).

It runs teh intarchoobs, and MS Office, and as long as that remains so, I'm happy.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
From top to bottom, Vista's run tops for me. I've been running this Vista machine for about 8 months. I've loaded and unloaded software. Typed thousands of words in the new MS Word, done processor-challenging graphic design and some hard core gaming. It hasn't crashed once.

Every driver I've loaded works fine. Vista warns me when something is "older" and then asks if it can find compatible drivers for it.

As with any battle, there is information and disinformation. And there are legions of zealots on either side waiting to spread both. It's important to be open minded about any new process and whether or not it works for you. :)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Yeah, I'm loving my Vista system. The only problem I've ever had with it is if one of the writers I'm editing is using an ancient form of Windows--like 98--and my comments get lost in translation.

Reaction score
mscelina, you can save word documents as backwards-compatible documents. Go into the ribbon icon on the top left, to 'save as...' then click on "MS Word 97-03". As thethinker42 reads most of my stuff, I save every document both as Office 2007 and as a backwards-compatible document.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Figures, I just started using Vista about 6 months ago. It's fairly easy to use (and I'm not computer savvy) and I've been really satisfied with.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I like Vista.

I don't understand the hullabaloo. Seems like something Mac created.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I've had compatability issues with Vista - to the tune of buying a shiny new laptop not long after Vista had come out, with the intention of telecommuting to work while on a 2 week vacation at my mother-in-law's (her entire town consists of 2 gas stations and lots of sheep). Imagine my reaction upon finding that the company I work with had not and still has no plans to upgrade any of their programs to be compatible with Vista. I could log on to work, but not actually do anything. Oh happy flippin day

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Vista was designed by engineers that didn't consider the diversity and simpleminded techniques of 'real people'. It all works, but not entirely friendly to the average user...or so I hear.

Windows 7 is considering input from vista users and addressing the issues that have been reported. So far as I know, Windows 7 is still based on Vista...like XP was based on win2000...but they are rewriting the interface to be more understandable.

Vista was 10 years in the making. They aren't just going to dump it. It's sort of just getting a new suit. :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Vista's fast and stable, for me anyway. I'll be buggered if I'm going to upgrade anything just because some dodgy company that releases notoriously crap software says so. I don't care if my next laptop comes with Vista or Windows3000, as long as it works as well as this one does.

-Derek

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
we ended up getting a new system a few months ago and it's been working fine for us with Vista.

of course, that's AFTER everyone else found the bugs and so forth.

it never fails to surprise me how perfect everyone thinks the programming world is and how nothing ever is mucked up...

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Imagine my reaction upon finding that the company I work with had not and still has no plans to upgrade any of their programs to be compatible with Vista. I could log on to work, but not actually do anything. Oh happy flippin day

Vista was never intended to be backwards compatible. It was in fact a deliberate decision not to be, the consensus being they cannot implement the new systems while supporting what they wanted to change.

There are many programs that do run on vista despite not having been written for it. Why? Because the programmers followed the conventions set down by Microsoft and refrained from 'creative programming'.

Incompatibility should point to the program publishers, not to Vista.

Clio

In the mind warp pavilion
Registered
Reaction score
I shouldn't really post, because whenever I say something about my computer.....ssh - it's like mentioning the Scottish Play in a theatre.

But - I'll be brave. I've been running Vista HP for a year now on a brand new Dell. No problems whatsoever beyond having to download a patch from Canon's website for my old printer. At least Canon had the wherewithal to write the patch, though. Seems to me that a lot of the bunkum about Vista being incompatible with this and that hardware is really down to the hardware manufacturers not updating. I mean, come on - they knew Vista was being developed for at least four years before it became available. The ball was in their court, as far as I'm concerned. Many manufacturers did write patches for Vista compatibility, so there's no excuse.

No probs for me.....keeping fingers crossed, as I type.... ;)

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Tip that sometimes works with un-Vista compatible programs... right click the program icon (on the desktop or in start menu). Go to Properties. The third tab should be Compability (if you have no Third Tab, this won't work!). On the Compatibility Tab you'll see the option for Compatibility Mode. Check the check box and select what OS you want the computer to pretend to be (such as XP) when it runs that program.

It may not work for all programs, but give it a shot. (I refuse to give up my precious XP for Vista... but I still get asked to trouble shoot Vista.)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I can only say: I'm so glad I'm not working with PCs anymore and not running any Vista... what a piece of crap.

Reaction score
It's not awful, either. It does (for me at least) what XP did...but looks better. :D

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
"Not having a problem with it" doesn't translate to "it's great."

I'll go ahead and say it. Ever since SP1, Vista's great. It used to have its quirks (y'all know I used to fight my computer quite a bit) but now it runs like heaven. I love the interface, I love how fast the software runs on my computer, even though it's not all that powerful. I still get a little confused but that's okay, everything's so nicely labeled I never have trouble finding my way around unknown territory. I've used it for pretty heavy stuff, I've used it for writing, and it's never done anything funny or cost me any work, like some other machines I've used.

Fuck it. I'm starting to get fed up with all this anti-Windows propaganda. Sure, their products aren't perfect, but what the hell, nothing's perfect anymore. I couldn't be any happier after being a Windows user ever since I was about 7 or 8 years old.

Hurray for Windows!!!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't expect to like Vista at all - having heard that all the 'improvements' were cosmetic - but, as a home user, I think it's wonderful. (Don't know if I'd want to run it on a lower-spec computer, but on my brand-new box, it's great fun and stellar.)

I don't miss XP at all, and I won't want to have to go back to it.