PDA

View Full Version : Re-querying and rewrites

Tburger
11-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Between March and June of 2008, I queried a huge number of agents regarding my first novel and got several requests for partials/fulls, but no takers. Since then I have engaged in a massive rewrite, essentially writing a new book (with all new characters) - but with the same title and some of the same plot elements.

I'm a long way from completing the rewrite, but estimate it will be done by February of 2009. So my question is this: when I finish polishing, etc., should I query agents as though this is a new book, or do I need to explain somehow that I am re-querying, but my book has been re-written, etc.

Julie Worth
11-07-2008, 05:43 PM
In my experience, if a year has gone by and you change the opening, the title, and the query, you can resubmit without mentioning the previous query. Even better if you change the genre, then you can submit to a different group of agents.

waylander
11-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Change the title and submit it as a new book.

Tburger
11-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks you guys. Changing titles makes great sense; if I land an agent, perhaps I can change it back to the original title!

Danthia
11-08-2008, 02:49 AM
Treat it like a new book. As for titles, change it to something really evocotive to grab attention and don't fret over it. The odds of your publisher changing it are pretty high :)