Help me find conservative families to interview - prefer Washington State

yael

Registered
Reaction score
Hi writers!

I'm looking for two conservative families to interview for a book, and I'm having a really challenging time! I'm located in Vancouver, Canada now but I lived in Michigan for a long time and started this project there (in 2005, as a PhD dissertation -- now it is a book for trade press). I prefer to find families in Washington because then I can drive to interview them, and it will be easier for me to drive back again if we want to talk a second time.

The book is about how parents manage raising children with strong values in the context of the broader culture. I've interviewed some liberal families and I think it is critically important that conservative voices are heard and conservative stories are part of the big story.

I am particularly interested in:
-families where one or both parents have been somewhat politically involved/engaged (going to rallies, writing letters, blogging, working for a conservative organization -- you can define what 'politically involved' mean to you)
-families where the parents support the war in Iraq as the right thing for the U.S. to do

And I need:
-families in which the parents are willing to be interviewed
-families with at least one child between 9-13 year old who is willing to be interviewed
-one family living in a community that is pretty strongly liberal (so the conservative family is in the minority) and one family living in a community that is pretty strongly conservative (so the conservative family is surrounded by generally like-minded people)

I don't have much in the way of contacts in Washington State, and I'm just not getting anywhere with cold calls at the moment. I'd like to complete the interviews by mid-December, so I thought I'd turn to the water cooler at Absolute Write for suggestions, advice, tips and leads!

You can contact me directly at yharlapwrites (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks so much!

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you e-mail the state Republican party or a Mormon temple and ask them if they can help you locate conservative families to interview.

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
My sister would be perfect for you, but lives in Florida. I'm PMing you with her blog URL. She is always VERY happy to talk to people.

yael

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks and continuing to search...

Thanks Tish and Barb!

Tish, I tried contacting Republican organizations, but that hasn't yielded anything. They were friendly and asked me to email them details and they'd pass it on, but I never heard anything after that at all.

I don't know about a Mormon temple -- but I have thought of contacting churches -- I think I just need to take a road trip to Washington State and visit some churches, perhaps.

And Barb, I'll take a look at your sister's blog. Florida is just about as far away as I could possibly travel and still be in North America, though!! But maybe she'll have suggestions for reaching communities in WA... :)

If anyone else has suggestions, too, I'd be very glad to read them! :)
Best,
Yael

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
And Barb, I'll take a look at your sister's blog. Florida is just about as far away as I could possibly travel and still be in North America, though!! But maybe she'll have suggestions for reaching communities in WA... :)
Yael

I'm sure she will. She has subscribers (to her newsletter) all over the world, so surely some are in Washington state. Or you could interview her over the phone/internet.

simpleathrt

Conservative Family w/9 children

Hi. I found your request while searching for something else but think I may be able to help. My former Pastor in Washington State has 9 children who are all raised with conservative values. You can reach him at www.wbcbremerton.org and then there should be a contact us button. I hope this helps you.

yael

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, simpleathrt, what a great lead, thank you! I'll follow that up, too.
-Y

yael

Registered
Reaction score
Simpleathrt,
It would be really helpful when I contact your former Pastor to be able to let him know who referred me to him. If you would be willing to share your name with me so I can let him know how I found his name, it would be very helpful. You can reach me via private message on this board or in an email at yharlapwrites (at) gmail (dot) com.

Thanks for your consideration!
Best,
Yael