Glossary of PA-related Terms You May See Here

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
It occurs to me that we now have this entire language that many people aren't going to understand. Thus, this thread, where I propose we give the etymology, definition, and/or usage example for our commonly-used terms that are related to PublishAmerica:

Atlanta Nights:
Definition: Sting manuscript orchestrated by James Macdonald and written by various members of the SFWA under the name Travis Tea to be submitted to PA. Intentionally written to be the worst book in history, to prove that PA would publish anything. See www.travistea.com for more. (Say "Travis Tea" quickly for the hidden meaning.)

aurora:
Original context: Recent PA post by "kilroy" (see CBM and Shemp entries) wherein, in the midst of the rest of his sputtering nonsense, he somehow confused the word "aura" and turned it into "aurora."
Use: She has a lovely aurora.

Author Insecurity/Bookland Security/Author Insult Team/Author Non-support/Disinformation Center
Definition: Terms for PA's Infocenter, a.k.a. PA's Author Support, which is always an anonymous entity.
Use: I wrote to the Author Insult Team and got a tone letter.

balling (my eyes out):
Original context: Nightie girl explained that she was balling her eyes out when she heard that Shemp was dead.
Use: If anyone tells me to "read the contract" again, I'll ball my eyes out.

bashers:
Original context: Shemp, referring to anyone who might question PA's ethics/business practices. Used to create an "us vs. them" feeling and discredit anyone who might actually want to help authors and steer them away from harm.
Defintion: People who tell the truth.

CBM:
Original context: Shemp told a reporter from the Washington Post (?) that his PA royalties amounted to cigarette money a couple of times a year. His new nickname became CBM, or Cigarette-Buying Man.

darf:
Original context: Misspelling of "dwarf."
Uses: If I see one more person thank PA for "giving [them] a chance," I'll darf.

echelon ladder:
Original context: Another nonsensical raving from Shemp, wherein he was attempting to insult a PA author for being more important than he is.
Use: Excuse me, would you hold my echelon ladder so I can climb onto the roof and shout to the world that PA is run by asshats?

golden calf:
Original context: "You had the golden calf in your hand," which was Shemp's chiding of a PA author who didn't take full advantage of the Independence Book deal. Perhaps confusing the goose who laid the golden egg with grabbing the brass ring with the sin of the Israelites in Exodus. I hear massive quantities of Jack Daniels can do that to a person.

Great and Mighty Pirate Ship, the:
Original context: Shemp's term for PA.
Use: The great and mighty pirate ship is full of holes.

hamdog:
Definition: A food substance consisting of a hot dog wrapped in a hamburger, with an egg on top, deep fried, and all sorts of other weird and inhuman things, which you can apparently buy at Mulligan's in Georgia. This really has nothing to do with PA, but there you have it.
Use: Ed likes hamdogs.

Kool-Aid:
Original context: Beverage served at the first PA convention, presumably containing brainwashing chemicals to make PA authors believe anything PA principals said, such as "your book will be available from sea to shining sea."
Use: When is she going to stop drinking the Kool-Aid and come over to the light?

Menopausal Matriarch:
Original context: Sexist insult by Shemp, claimed back as a good term by those he aimed at.

Nightie Girl/Nightie Lady:
Original context: Here, referring to a (former?) school teacher who poses on the PA boards in lingerie and tells authors to F*** off if they don't approve of liars who fake their own deaths.
Use: Nightie Girl, get a grip.

PA:
Definition: PublishAmerica. Also known as Pernicious Asshats, Punish America, Publish Anything, Plublish America, etc.
Use: PA sucks. See www.publishamericasucks.com.

Partnership with the NY Times
Original context: PA told its authors that they had formed a partnership with the NY Times to promote PA books.
Definition: Horsepucks. This really meant that they had bought 3 ads, and used them to entice authors to compete against each other to see who could buy more of their own books to get listed in the coveted NY Times ad, which resulted in no sales for those who appeared.
Use: I've taken out an ad for my garage sale next week. This means I have a partnership with the NY Times.

POD, not POD:
Original context: PA Infocenter's explanation to authors about how they were print-on-demand (POD), not publish-on-demand (POD), and that all the bookstore owners must be "confused."
Definition: A load of crap. There is no difference between POD and POD.

POD Squad:
Definition: The new general partners at PA, including Michele Omran (a.k.a. the acquiring editor), Janet Morrisey (a.k.a. the office manager and accountant), Jessica Lewis (a.k.a. the receptionist), and possibly a janitor or two.

Poz:
Definition: The mythical land of all PA associates. A shortening of the phrase "Pathetically Oz-like," which pretty well describes the land of delusion that PA attempts to perpetrate on its authors.
Use: Meanwhile, back at Poz, they had run out of commas and were substituting semi-colons instead.

Purple Pony:
Definition: Kevin Yarbrough's sting manuscript. He sent PA 30 pages copied over and over until it was book-length. They happily accepted it, but when he announced what he'd done, they hired potentially-fake cops who refused to show badges to come to his house and scare the bejesus out of him.

resonate:
Original context: This phrase "[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]will quickly resonate with an audience"[/font] appears in the template PA uses to send out completely impersonal press releases at completely inappropriate times. See: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=172900&postcount=24
Use: I resonated all night long while I read Atlanta Nights.

Shemp:
Original context: New nickname for HB Marcus, also known as CBM, kilroy, Howard, He Who Must Not Be Named, the Undead, etc. PA's primary cheerleader and an abusive asshat who enjoyed bullying those who tried to get off the Kool-Aid. Mysogynist, narcissist, raving egomaniacal failure of a human being who recently faked his own death on Good Friday and laughed as PA authors cried and mourned over Easter weekend.
Use: Shemp is such an asshat.

spline:
Original context: Once thought to be a simple typo, but turned out to be a genuine misuse. PA authors (yes, several of them) somehow decided that a book's spine was actually spelled "spline."
Use: Get a spline, you lousy PA employees who check your morals at the door.

stipid:
Original context: "I told her she had pissed off 11.000 writers by calling them stipid," from a PA board post, referring to a nastygram a PA author sent to Jenna Glatzer, when in fact, Jenna Glatzer never called anyone "stipid," nor its more respectable cousin, "stupid."
Use: Shemp is a stipid asshat.

The Three Stooges:
Definition: The three original principals of PA: Larry Clopper, Willem Meiners, and Miranda Prather, also known as Larry, Curlem, and Moeranda.
Use: I can't wait to see The Three Stooges in orange jumpsuits.

tone letter:
Original context: The opening to dozens of letters PA sends to its authors who have any sort of valid question or complaint: "Don't take that tone with us." Often followed by something about "escapades," "drama," and "your accusations are false."
Use: I told them to shove it up their asshats. Think they'll send me another tone letter?

zobmi:
Original context: Miranda Prather sent out a press release announcing that she published a poem called "putting the zobmi to rest," which tells of " a speaker who must face a lifetime of bad choices which have corrupted the child she once was."
Related uses: Now the name of a popular mixed drink invented by Absolute Writers.

Other suggestions? Please list below and I'll add them to the glossary.

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
The golden calf: As in "You had the golden calf in your hand." Shemp's chiding of a PA author who didn't take full advantage of the Independence Book deal. Perhaps confusing the goose who laid the golden egg with grabbing the brass ring with the sin of the Israelites in Exodus. I hear massive quantities of Jack Daniels can do that to a person.

Edit to say: I wanted to add Menopausal Matriarch but based on a number of rep pt comments apparently my AV is causing people to doubt my credentials in that area. For the record I'm 48 and proud to be an MM and no, that's not a picture taken 10 years ago or even 20;it's from last month.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Author Insecurity/Bookland Security - terms for PA's Infocenter aka PA's Author Support.

Use - Bookland Security is as effective as Homeland Security which is effective as the Keystone Cops, which surprisingly no one has decided to call them since Pennsylvania is the keystone state and its abbreviation is also PA.

Last edited:

Paolo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dumpsternet.org
This might make me an *** hat in the eyes of some, but I still don't know exactly what an asshat is, though I use the term quite a bit. Is it a hat made from the *** of some animal? Is it a hat you wear on your ***? Does it imply that one has one's head up one's own ***?

I think I just answered my own question. It's the last one, isn't it.....

Paolo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dumpsternet.org
JennaGlatzer said:
I really don't know. I just enjoy the sound of the word. :) Who used it first? Linda?

I remember the first time I read the word "asshat". I remember it like it was yesterday (insert something literary here). I was browsing the cruel.com message boards to purge myself of bile when I came across it. The year was 2002. Since then my life has known great joy as there have been many times when that word jsut fit like (insert something literary here).

It could mean so many things. That's the beauty of it. Next time you feel the need for vituperation, try to graft the word "cake" onto some nasty word like " You know, you're just a ****cake". That's always fun too. Or, if you find your self frustrated by something, you might say "Oh ****cake!"

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, Jenna, once you've incorporated the suggestion into the master list shall we delete our post? Much as it pains me to edit a single gem I've posted...:)

Featurewriter

hoarse whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bymichaelriley.com
Johnny Dangerously

"Stipid asshat" smacks of the movie Johnny Dangerously (Michael Keaton), where one of the gangsters could never quite get the hang of swearing:

"You fargin' sneaky bastidge!"

"You have violated my fargin' rights. This somenahmuhbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens -- like me --
could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin' iceholes like yourselves. Thank you very much."

There are more fun audio out-takes from this movie at:

http://soundamerica.com/sounds/movies/J-R/Johnny_Dangerously/

(Don't worry -- it's free and I'm not selling anything!)

- Michael
AW Board Moderator (Trade Mags and Custom Publications)
forumdisplay.php?f=18

Paolo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dumpsternet.org
Profanity is tons of fun but it ****s up my attitude. For comedy it's good but I'm liking it less and less for dealing with something serious.

Now, I could spin off into the spiritual/moral/ethical stuff here but I won't because I probably won't know what the **** i'm talking about anyway.

See you ****cakes later.

Marisa Louise

Nobody knows...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Kool-Aid:
Original context: Beverage served at the first PA convention, presumably containing brainwashing chemicals to make PA authors believe anything PA principals said, such as "your book will be available from sea to shining sea."
Use: When is she going to stop drinking the Kool-Aid and come over to the light?

:roll:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
I really don't know. I just enjoy the sound of the word. :) Who used it first? Linda?

KellyS. gets all the glory for coming up with A**hat. My new favorite word in regards to PA. I once asked her what it meant and she said it was a word that "just resonated with her." ;)

Where is Kelly, by the way? Kelly, we miss you!

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
"A$$hat" is just a way of saying "a$$hole" that sneaks past a number of autocensoring programs. It's pretty widely known on the internet, even in places that don't have autocensoring programs to begin with (LiveJournal, etc.)

I'm rather fond of "a$$pickle", which is the invention of an internet supergenius I know.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Here's another term...

Tonto - Sidekick and aide-de-confidant to Shemp, at first denied knowledge of the second death scam, then later defended said scam to all PA denizens. His reason for doing so soon came to light - Shemp had invited him to be a guest on his vanity radio program. You know that you've whored out at snake belly level when you whore out for vanity radio...

MartyKay

Sockpuppet Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
martykay.blogspot.com
The etymology of the word Asshat. Why ELSE do i come to AW? :)

Hmm.. hope that is etymology and not entymology. I know one of them means bugs...

Asshat was in use prior to this, see <edited link> for examples

Last edited by a moderator:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
MartyKay said:

Thanks for the info. Kelly's use was the first time I'd ever heard it and I rather liked it.

On to the glossary -- Another word is:

Backruptcy

Another misspelled word from the PAMB.

Definition - A person who is a pain in both the neck and the a$$.

Use - The bashers will never stop until they have all filed for backruptcy.

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, I am still sitting here laughing. You have performed a great service to humanity with that glossary. Great work!

Just one thing... please don't show them our secret handshake. ;)

Paolo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dumpsternet.org
MartyKay said:
The etymology of the word Asshat. Why ELSE do i come to AW? :)

Hmm.. hope that is etymology and not entymology. I know one of them means bugs...

I'm just trying to figure out what AW has to do with insects. I'll save that question for another post.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
There's a far darker origin to the term "drinking the Kool-Aid" than the beverages served at the PA Convention in '04.

The original reference was to the cyanide-laced drink that the members of Jim Jones' People's Temple used to commit mass suicide. Someone who's "drinking the Kool-Aid" is totally brainwashed by a company; willing to die for his cult and its leader.

===========

Great and abundant use of the word "asshat" here, and it's even on-topic!

===========

Other words:

Alliance with: We're a customer of ...

Available: Not actually there, but they could be in a week or two if one of your friends ordered one.

Partnership with: We bought an ad from...

Last edited:

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
Paolo said:
I'm just trying to figure out what AW has to do with insects. I'll save that question for another post.

Maestro is a bug chef...he's also a mod, so I guess that bugs fit in here! :ROFL:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, I have to correct myself which may mean you'll want to edit above as well. The original phrase was Menopausal Malcontents. Further on these same ladies were referred to as Matriarchs and I am the one who dropped the Malcontent and inserted Matriarch. We wouldn't want to be accused of misrepresenting things around here, now, would we? :)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Kool-Aid:

OMG, Jenna, I got this one COMPLETELY wrong.
I always thought the Kool-Aid thing came from the Jim Jones mass suicide thing - rmemeber, that cult where they all drank Kool-Aid which was laced with cyanide? It happened in my home country, Guyana, deep in the jungle - near the place where I and some friends had bought a farm a few years previously.
So I always thought that "drink the Kool-Aid" meant "drink the suicide potion believing it to be good". Which I think is a good secondary definition, don't you? That's what "Drink the Kool-Aid" means in my country. I always wondered how you got hold of that bit of local slang!

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/religion/cult/reverend-jim-jones/

Edit: OK, I see the expression is not just in Guyana.

Since that time, Jonestown and its leader Jim Jones have entered American discourse as code for the dangers of cults and cult leaders. The expression “drinking the Kool-Aid”—which means both blindly jumping on the bandwagon, and being a team player—is one manifestation of this. The story of Jonestown, and of its parent organization Peoples Temple, however, is more complicated than sound-bites comparing strict parents to Jim Jones, or pundits relating religious violence (such as the suicide air strikes of 11 September 2001) to Jonestown. Instead, Jonestown serves as a lesson in how a combination of media, government, and citizens can create a climate of persecution and fear. It also provides an example of how uncritical acceptance of the status quo and social and geographic isolation can lead to violence and even death.

Last edited:

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
trumancoyote said:
Teehee. This is all so new to me, and so freaking entertaining XD
Me, too. I didn't even know what "PA" meant for the longest time. Now I can find all sorts of hidden meanings in posts.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
James D. Macdonald said:
There's a far darker origin to the term "drinking the Kool-Aid" than the beverages served at the PA Convention in '04.

The original reference was to the cyanide-laced drink that the members of Jim Jones' People's Temple used to commit mass suicide. Someone who's "drinking the Kool-Aid" is totally brainwashed by a company; willing to die for his cult and its leader.

Aha. I see you got it.