impossible?

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
So.. here's the thing. I wrote a 60K novel in 1 yr 2 mo. And I'm finishing another novel at 42 K and I've been writing it since end of January. Is doing NaNoWriMo an impossible task for me? I can try, but I seriously doubt I can finish. But hey! If it pushes me to write a lot more than I already am, then YAY! I don't even know why I'm writing this post. I guess I just need some words of motivation :D

-Karla

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Try it. What do you have to lose?

When I'm writing on my own, I tend to take my time finishing a novel draft (over a year). I've done NaNo three times so far and hit the 50K each time. Those drafts aren't finished, but the accelerated pace forced me to keep the momentum going on the storyline. I learned valuable lessons from each attempt.

So give it a shot. Good luck!

:Sun:

Gogirl

Registered
Reaction score
I understand! I'm a slow writer, too, and am using Nano to just join the fun and participate in the challenge of boosting my word count.

Yes, try it.

cjharley

NaNo Winner!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mypointofview-cj.blogspot.com
I've never written a novel before, much less than 50K words in 30 days. I've always been a writer at heart and it's been so many years since I have written, but I'm giving it a shot. I'm having a lot of fun especially talking with the people on this forum, doing word wars, commenting back and forth on other people's blogs about NaNo.

Like TheIT says: "What have you have to lose?"

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
It's not that hard, really, if you break it down to smaller chunks. With an Arial 12 font, one page is about 500 words. You need to write a little more than three pages every day to make it. You could do one page in the morning, one in the afternoon and one before going to bed. One page every now and then doesn't sound as bad as 1667 words in one day, does it?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I just need some words of motivation :D

-Karla

Only two words for you, Karla: Go you!

Join us in the word wars. I took years to write my first novel. This one's going much faster, because I've got friends over in the word wars thread who are pushing me to my utmost capabilities.

Captain Howdy

closer + prettier than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
KC36 it sounds like you are a careful writer. I have been writing Twisted Oaks for more than two years now, and only about half way through. I do NaNo strictly as an exercise in mad creativity. Speed is everything. My NaNo's first chapter started out just as good as anything else I write, but the plot is rocking along like a rickety old passenger train, nuance, detail, and character building is out the window...theme and subtext are still sitting back at the station.

You can do it! Let your hair down and let it flow!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
In Rocky, Rocky Balboa didn't think he could beat Apollo Creed either.

And, well, ok, he didn't.

But he sure tried!

Go for it!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was terrified the first time I did NaNo. I'm now doing it for the fifth time, and I've succeeded in the four previous attempts. Each time, I've hit 50,000 about a week before the 30th, and that's even with working full time and 40-minute bus rides to and from work!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My first NaNo novel was a break from one I had been working on for over a year. My NaNo novels have all been under the thirty days (one was 50K by day 28, but took a couple of days in December to get to the end). My non-NaNo novels take 6-8 months (except for that first one that took 15 months). It is totally possible to come out of NaNo with a perfectly fine first draft even when it usually takes you longer to write your first drafts.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
KC, you're absolutely right about one thing: If you walk away from this having written more than you would have without NaNo, then you've still won. I'll expand that a bit, though, to add a few things: If you walk away from NaNo having had fun while writing, discovering more about yourself as a writer and what works for you as well as what doesn't, or you've discovered that it just doesn't work for you, you're still further ahead and you've still won. The 50k word count is really just a bonus.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
I had completely forgot that I posted this thread LOL but thanks for the encouraging words, guys! I really love it!

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
I did NaNo for the first time last year, and I had no clue how far I would get.
I ended up with 72,000.

This year, I first thought, nah, I don't want to go through that again. But I did, and even more, I decided to write two NaNo novels, to go for a total of 100,000.
And guess what: I'm right on target to get there.

So go for it, maybe there's no publication or no cash prize at the end, but there's enormous satisfaction even if you only finished 10,000 words.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
My last WIP is not completely done yet. I worked on it for a year and about 3 months. I split it into 2 novels, realizing a sub plot had morphed into another novel. So they were written more slowly-- Now, a really funny thing I am finding out is that they are all the Same Novel. I will never get published at this rate.
The NaNo novel I am doing now is still in the same "world" as my other 2.
In a time line, The first happens in 1968, the second in 1970, my wip 1973.

Anyway--- that dosent take away from the fact that I just got in the groove right away with this one. This story is like "the Hobbit" compared to The Lord of the Rings.

Last edited: