PDA

View Full Version : GREAT Authors

euclid
11-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I have been reading Benjamin Black (Christine Falls). This is a penname of a famous Irish writer called John Banville.

He is a BRILLIANT writer. Absolutely fantastic. It's such a joy to find a truly great, original, stylish writer.

If you're out there listening, John, please never stop writing.

Who would you put on a list of true writing Olympians, anybody?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Larry McMurtry, for 'Lonesome Dove' alone.

Edgar Allen Poe, for everything.

Shakespeare, just because.

SPMiller
11-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Because I like genre fiction, Martin and Zelazny are my candidates.

Pagey's_Girl
11-06-2008, 07:43 PM
HP Lovecraft.

Robert R. McCammon, for writing the first book that scared me enough to give me nightmares (Swan Song) that I could absolutely not put down. And A Boy's Life is quite simply one of the best books ever.

Stephen Donaldson - Thomas Covenant and Linden Avery captured my imagination when I was fifteen and have not let go since.

Armisted Maupin - Michael Tolliver Lives and I am so glad. I read Tales of the City back when they did the PBS series to see what all the fuss was about and I was hooked.

Madeline L'Engle - The lady who made me want to write.

Dr. Seuess - One of the men who made me love to read, which is the beginnings of wanting to be a writer. :)

Charles Schultz - maybe not a writer in the traditional sense, but I grew up loving Peanuts anthologies - possibly the first books I ever picked up and read by myself. I stll have quite a few of my old Peanuts books, and looking back at them I can still see where a lot of my writing style and timing came from. And to this day, I love being able to come up with something that makes people laugh. Because sometimes you have to learn to laugh at your problems before you can solve them...

euclid
11-06-2008, 11:34 PM
In case no one else mentions them, here are some more great writers:

Cormac McCarthy
Douglas Adams
Robert Sheckley (for his first anthology, published when he was 18: "Untouched by Human Hands")
James Joyce of course

auntybug
11-06-2008, 11:42 PM
After the last couple books, I'd have to say I've moved John Sandford up on my list of authors I'd most likely stalk. He's 2 hours away. Totally do-able :D

Elwolf
11-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Probably Mercedes Lackey.

She has a cool writing style, and I have collected quite a few of her books. Still working on reading all of them. I especially like the Last Herald-Mage trilogy.

Mela
11-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Ray Carver
Jane Austen
Edith Wharton
Henry James
Marion Zimmer Bradley: The Mists of Avalon inspired me
Pearl S. Buck
Toni Morrison

sunna
11-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Andre Dubus III
Barbara Kingsolver
Patricia McKillip
Raymond Carver

Bayou Bill
11-07-2008, 01:42 AM
Who would you put on a list of true writing Olympians, anybody?

The usual suspects:

Mark Twain
Edgar Allen Poe
William Faulkner
Ernest Hemingway
John Steinbeck
Raymond Chandler
P.G. Wodehouse
Flannery O'Conner
Eudora Welty
Walker Percy

among others

Bayou Bill :cool:

Kitrianna
11-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Poe of course.
Shakespeare definitely.
C.S.Lewis and R.L.Tolkien for such inspirational and epic works :)

DL Hegel
11-07-2008, 05:28 AM
Alan Dean Foster

Ken
11-07-2008, 05:32 AM
Dostoyevsky, hands down.

polarqueen
11-07-2008, 05:49 AM
I love me some George Orwell.

darrtwish
11-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Stephenie Meyer.