GREAT Authors

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I have been reading Benjamin Black (Christine Falls). This is a penname of a famous Irish writer called John Banville.

He is a BRILLIANT writer. Absolutely fantastic. It's such a joy to find a truly great, original, stylish writer.

If you're out there listening, John, please never stop writing.

Who would you put on a list of true writing Olympians, anybody?

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
HP Lovecraft.

Robert R. McCammon, for writing the first book that scared me enough to give me nightmares (Swan Song) that I could absolutely not put down. And A Boy's Life is quite simply one of the best books ever.

Stephen Donaldson - Thomas Covenant and Linden Avery captured my imagination when I was fifteen and have not let go since.

Armisted Maupin - Michael Tolliver Lives and I am so glad. I read Tales of the City back when they did the PBS series to see what all the fuss was about and I was hooked.

Madeline L'Engle - The lady who made me want to write.

Dr. Seuess - One of the men who made me love to read, which is the beginnings of wanting to be a writer. :)

Charles Schultz - maybe not a writer in the traditional sense, but I grew up loving Peanuts anthologies - possibly the first books I ever picked up and read by myself. I stll have quite a few of my old Peanuts books, and looking back at them I can still see where a lot of my writing style and timing came from. And to this day, I love being able to come up with something that makes people laugh. Because sometimes you have to learn to laugh at your problems before you can solve them...

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
In case no one else mentions them, here are some more great writers:

Cormac McCarthy
Douglas Adams
Robert Sheckley (for his first anthology, published when he was 18: "Untouched by Human Hands")
James Joyce of course

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
Probably Mercedes Lackey.

She has a cool writing style, and I have collected quite a few of her books. Still working on reading all of them. I especially like the Last Herald-Mage trilogy.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Ray Carver
Jane Austen
Edith Wharton
Henry James
Marion Zimmer Bradley: The Mists of Avalon inspired me
Pearl S. Buck
Toni Morrison

sunna

Registered