• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Children's books - where do I go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need someone to give me advice or point me in the right research direction. I have written 6 rhyming children's books for a small company. As I had no prior credentials, I was happy to do the first project for a flat fee and have continued on that basis, writing five more books. I just received my copies of the first project -the books are adorable and the illustrations (I didn't do) are wonderful.
I'm just finishing the 6th book and another project is waiting.
Some questions I have:
The payments for these projects seem low to me - but I have no frame of reference.
Do I have to have an idea or concept to approach other publishers or can I send them a copy of my book(s) in hopes they might want to use me for any of their future projects?
Any info on how royalties work in this genre.

My situation is a little more complicated than most.....
If someone would be willing to share their expertise, I'll explain.
I'd be most grateful for any help...PM me or use my reg. email.
Cassie

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Cassie, what it sounds like is that you've done a "work for hire" project. In other words, you wrote books to a publisher's specifications and they printed them for a flat price and you won't get royalties for sales.
The trick with that is that you may well have sold the whole "concept" of the book in your contract. Did you HAVE a contract with them?

Let's talk a little more about this before I can direct you further. :)

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
There are a few companies that work like that. They assign work-for-hire at a rather low rate. It's great for people starting out. You can ask to negotiate, but I haven't heard of them doing that. If you enjoy the work, do some more. It certainly sounds good to have a dozen books under your belt when you approach royalty-based publishers. Writers I know do both or eventually wean themselves away from the flat-based fee work.

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Cathy C and Inspired, I'm just wanted to touch base today and thank you for replying. Right now, I'm dashing out the door - Inspired, I see you've PM'd me...I'll get back to you and Cath, you too. I have a couple questions I'd like to ask each of you... quickly.. Yes, I signed contracts for each job. I'll have to reread them, but none of the book concepts were mine, so that's not an issue here.
Later....
Cassie

Status
Not open for further replies.