Name Typing Problem

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Anyone have the same problem?

I've called my MC Rosenthal -- temporarily, mind you, until I have time to sit and think of a more insightful name for him. Now I find out the name Rosenthal is actually very awkward to type! :e2BIC: I fumble over the keyboard and hit all the wrong keys every time I mention his name.

I think I have to rename him pretty quickly now... it really slows me down.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
So that's why I chose short snappy names for mine!:D

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
If you're using MS Word, AutoCorrect can be your friend. What I do is add an abbreviation (say ME) and match it with the correctly spelled name (Mount Everest), then save it. From then on, if I type ME, MS Word automatically substitutes the correct name.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you're using MS Word, AutoCorrect can be your friend. What I do is add an abbreviation (say ME) and match it with the correctly spelled name (Mount Everest), then save it. From then on, if I type ME, MS Word automatically substitutes the correct name.

Wow, now that's a great idea, thanks a lot! I didn't know about it!

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to help. I've got lots of complicated names in my fantasy world, too, and I hate having to type the same thing over and over again. Just be sure to pick an abbreviation which doesn't match a real word. Also, the AutoCorrect abbreviations are case-sensitive.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks a lot, TheIT, I'll remember. Great way of getting around it. So in the future, I'm with Deccydiva: a short snappy name probably works best when you have to keep one eye on the word count.

riteideas

In my NaNO book I've started out with four characters, with short names, forgot their names and changed them to something else. It seems that as I get a better picture of their personalities I change the names to match what I think this type of person should be named. But it's so confusing when I look back to see who did what, where and how.

I'm so confused.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
In my NaNO book I've started out with four characters, with short names, forgot their names and changed them to something else. It seems that as I get a better picture of their personalities I change the names to match what I think this type of person should be named. But it's so confusing when I look back to see who did what, where and how.

I'm so confused.

What if you make a list of all their respective names on a sheet of paper and keep it in front of you as you write for a quick reference? Also, you might add a few notes next to their names as their characters become clearer.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say call him Biff for now, do a global search and replace at the very last.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
Yep! My main character is currently traveling with a dog named "Rufus." And I cannot seem to type "Rufus" correctly to save my life. It nearly always comes out on the first try as "Rfus" or "Rufsu." Argh!

Should have called the dog Ted. Would have saved a lot of time.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Word also lets you define your own shortcut keystrokes -- or you can do them yourself.

For instance, whenever you have your character's name, just type Ros:

At the end of the day, do a global search-and-replace Ros: to Rosenthal

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Word also lets you define your own shortcut keystrokes -- or you can do them yourself.

For instance, whenever you have your character's name, just type Ros:

At the end of the day, do a global search-and-replace Ros: to Rosenthal

Just don't do a blind search-and-replace, otherwise you might end up with things like a "Rosenthale garden".

:D

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Just don't do a blind search-and-replace, otherwise you might end up with things like a "Rosenthale garden".

:D

That's why I include a : with my abbreviated words. :D

Captain Howdy

closer + prettier than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I do the search and replace (using punctuation mark) as well.

I'm gaga for names with dramatic flair, and yes they are hard to type, some of the most theatrical this time around are:

Garfield Hyde-Park
Christoph de la Croix
Lady Luna Summerhill
Miranda Livingtson
Fiona Ashby
Bruggenhoff
and
Lily-Alice

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's one bunch of cool names, Captain. You obviously have a gift for it.

I've abbreviated my Rosenthal guy to Rth and have fun typing it and watching his whole name appear by MS Word magic :) It's a relatively safe combination--at least until I use a word like "worth" or "myrth" ... :)

riteideas

What if you make a list of all their respective names on a sheet of paper and keep it in front of you as you write for a quick reference? Also, you might add a few notes next to their names as their characters become clearer.

It would be nice if WORD, or a better product, had an index card(s) feature that stayed resident in a column beside your text. I've been looking for a wordprocessor that allows a person to outline on virtual index cards, rearange the cards at anytime in anyway, and then breing them into a standard manuscript format.

burgy61

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

I do this and it seems to work well for me. As I learn more about a character I add to the description for that character.

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
It would be nice if WORD, or a better product, had an index card(s) feature that stayed resident in a column beside your text. I've been looking for a wordprocessor that allows a person to outline on virtual index cards, rearange the cards at anytime in anyway, and then breing them into a standard manuscript format.

My laptop has a wide screen, and I have Open Office up, and the Google Desktop app to the right of it. One of the widgets on Google Desktop is a notepad, and I have all my characters listed right there for me to see. I'll also keep notes there of what I want to have happen in the next few scenes, so I can reference it.

I've also found that Open Office has an autocomplete tool for longer words. This works GREAT for long names. You try typing in "Filangieri" a bunch of times -- you'll misspell it quite often! The autocomplete helps me spell it right each time.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

Final draft used to have a function like that, albeit for screenwriting purposes. A graphical way of arranging your scenes by index-card-styled blocks.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've also found that Open Office has an autocomplete tool for longer words. This works GREAT for long names. You try typing in "Filangieri" a bunch of times -- you'll misspell it quite often! The autocomplete helps me spell it right each time.

I personally find Open Office much user-friendlier than Word. Its menus are better arranged, and it has some nice little features that Word doesn't. I actually prefer it to Word.

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
My problem isn't typos per se but rather nicknames. My two main characters have nicknames depending on who they're speaking with.

Miriam aka Mimi
Charlotte aka Charlie

To further complicate matters, Charlotte comes to realize she's not Charlie/Charlotte at all but rather a fugitive "astral" named Maryn who displaced Charlotte's soul when she was just a baby.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Power Structure/Power Writer allows that.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I personally find Open Office much user-friendlier than Word. Its menus are better arranged, and it has some nice little features that Word doesn't. I actually prefer it to Word.

I'm a 30-year Microsoft fan, and I detest the newest version of Office. When the day comes that I can't use any of their older versions, I'll likely go to open office too. It's everything Office used to be: functional, intuitive, efficient.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For 2006, my MC's name was Saratoga. For some reason, I got sick and <garbled in transmission>ing tired of typing his name over and over and over; all I can think of is the way a keyboard is laid out and his name is a secret code that induces insanity. Never occurred to me to use some sort of search and replace feature.

And with my current NaNo novel, which is a sequel to 2004 and 2005, I can't begin to tell you how many times I've mistyped Brian's name. Go ahead. Guess what I'm always typing instead of his name. It's easy. :cry:

We just got Office 2007 installed on our PCs at work. I really hate, hate, HATE Microsquash's pompous nature calling the toolbar "The Ribbon". It. Is. A. TOOLBAR. And a pretty useless one, at that.